Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Whitechuck Road Comment period
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostSat May 10, 2008 12:58 pm 
thanks quark for all your info. I guess I am up to opening the whitechuck road to road 27. Of course I would like it open to the remaining end. but that is money. I would like the old white chuck road open to atv's, motorcycles, and bikes only up to the old trailhead. I come from a philosophy of more users = more voices = more money....and the roads have lost potential money becuase there are not as many voices.

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat May 10, 2008 2:01 pm 
You will need more than lopers to get to the old hotsprings.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat May 10, 2008 8:26 pm 
To get to the hotsprings you'll need a saw, axes, muscle, and a shovel. You'd do best if you didn't have a lot of brains, either. dizzy.gif In short, to get there, you pretty much have to build a trail, then when you get to a big orange oozy slope above 15 acres of boulders, dig a hole at the base of the orange ooze to collect the hot water. That would be the new hotsprings. Hmmmm....it probably won't be much different than the hotsprings that we lost. Sounds like a fun trip. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat May 10, 2008 8:40 pm 
And keep an eye out for stray Moonstone jackets while you're there.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
peltoms

peltoms
PostSun May 11, 2008 4:24 am 
The opening of 23 to 27 sounds ideal. The converting of 23 beyond the junction to a trail seems reasonable. For now it would seem prudent to not take actions that preclude this access route being lost for good. Five years from now money and interest maybe quite different.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Random Walker
Alpine Indolence

Random Walker
Alpine Indolence
PostSun May 11, 2008 8:11 pm 
Breaking trail..
Magellan wrote:
You will need more than lopers to get to the old hotsprings.
More Cowbell wrote:
And keep an eye out for stray Moonstone jackets while you're there.
Quark wrote:
To get to the hotsprings you'll need a saw, axes, muscle, and a shovel. You'd do best if you didn't have a lot of brains, either.
If I didn't know better I would think you all are tempting me with a good time.

I love the smell of deet in the morning. The smell, you know that deet smell, the whole mountain. Smelled like... victory.
RodF

RodF
PostWed May 14, 2008 1:38 am 
Random Walker wrote:
...We came to a conclusion that there could be two standards for trails. The comfortable flat, high and wide standard as "trunk" trails through the forest with smaller boot paths branching off to the higher lakes and peaks etc.
Aside: the Forest Service has long had "pack and saddle" and "hiker/pedestrian only" trail design guidelines (each having easy to difficult categories) with different tread widths, clearing widths and heights, turn radii, maximum pitch and cross slope, switchback and stream crossing specifications, etc. For true trail geeks or WTA volunteers, here are the specs! (If we could only get the elk around here to obey the "hiker only" signs at the trailheads, maybe they wouldn't tear out our hand-crafted Type III Switchbacks? frown.gif )

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Random Walker
Alpine Indolence

Random Walker
Alpine Indolence
PostWed May 14, 2008 8:31 am 
RodF wrote:
Aside: the Forest Service has long had "pack and saddle" and "hiker/pedestrian only" trail design guidelines (each having easy to difficult categories) with different tread widths, clearing widths and heights, turn radii, maximum pitch and cross slope, switchback and stream crossing specifications, etc. For true trail geeks or WTA volunteers, here are the specs!
Yes (have an old hardcopy somewhere) This is what we were talking about, then taking it a step farther to maintaining more of a path than the typical trail... fun talking with her :-)

I love the smell of deet in the morning. The smell, you know that deet smell, the whole mountain. Smelled like... victory.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed May 21, 2008 12:54 pm 
Just bumping this up since the deadline for comment is a week from this Friday (deadline is the 30th). Didn't want my jaw wagging on any other threads to pre-empt this news flash wink.gif .

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon May 26, 2008 7:30 pm 
Bump. Deadline Friday.
Quark wrote:
Open link to scoping letter and map for various alternatives to the possible repair of portions of the Whitechuck road near Darrington. Comments are to be directed by May 30 to plreed@fs.fed.us. Scoping letter here.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 28, 2008 10:25 pm 
bump. I know folks've been procrastinating (I just sent my letter off this past Monday, and I started this thread; so I'm the biggest toad in the puddle; I know there are more).

JimK

JimK
PostThu May 29, 2008 9:10 am 
I just sent my letter off. Here is a pdf with info on the proposed plan and mail, email, and fax info. All You Need To Know Please take the time to comment. Access to the west side of Glacier Peak has nearly been lost. As a community of hikers we need to be vocal about our concerns. The time to be heard is now not after a ruling you don't like. The deadline is 5-31 so we are down to the wire. Here is a link to a report of a trip Quark and I did last summer: Meadow Mountain Loop Take a look then please send in comments. This area is too beautiful to let go of without a fight.