Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Serene... Almost
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu

Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu
PostFri May 16, 2008 6:00 pm 
Anza and I almost got to Lk Serene today. Stopped by a big sunny snow field and no sun glasses for the tike. I'm sure most or at least many of you have been here, so I'll just jump right to trail conditons. Snow free up til about 2000ft... then patchy for a couple hundred feet... then solid above about 2200 or 2300ft. Mostly this:
First Hiking Stick
First Hiking Stick
A little of this:
These two trees were the worst of the obstacles on the trail... unless you count the snow.
These two trees were the worst of the obstacles on the trail... unless you count the snow.
A couple of these (or similar):
Not sure if this is the bottom of Bridal Veil Falls.  This pic was taken from the Lk Serene trail - Not the BVF spur trail.
Not sure if this is the bottom of Bridal Veil Falls. This pic was taken from the Lk Serene trail - Not the BVF spur trail.
And one each of these:
Mt Index looms over the Lk Serene Basin beyond the soft snow and trees
Mt Index looms over the Lk Serene Basin beyond the soft snow and trees
It's a big 'un.
It's a big 'un.
Most of the trail is under heavy shade.  This was one of the mid-way openings.
Most of the trail is under heavy shade. This was one of the mid-way openings.
I saw about a dozen other parties, and I probably don't need to mention it was hot.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostFri May 16, 2008 6:18 pm 
I tried to go out today, too, but should have gone with you. My buddy got his Subaru stuck in the snow near Asahel Curtis at 10:30. My truck shovel broke so I had to call in a buddy who pulled us free with no problem. Then someone who had gotten her truck stuck along Tinkham Road asked for help so my buddy headed off to pull her out... and got stuck. I had to go for real shovels and by the time all the vehicles were out of the snow it was 3:30pm. Best I could do was stop at Weeks Falls on the way home for a quick peek (TONS of water, of course). Blah!

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostFri May 16, 2008 7:00 pm 
Wouldn't you have loved to see that cornice break off? Looks like a fun day in the sun!

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri May 16, 2008 9:44 pm 
Good for you guys! I was thinking about you and wondering how far you'd get. My gal and yours would be just about right hiking together. We'll have to hook up this summer for some outings!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu

Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu
PostSat May 17, 2008 3:49 pm 
moosefish -- You just had a different kind of adventure. I have 2WD and am chicken to drive in snow... and your story justifies my fear. wamtngal – Yes, I would have loved to see it break off. I saw a little snow sluffing off the cliffs of Index but nothing too spectacular. Hiker Mama – Yeah, lets get the kiddos together. Mine’s becoming increasingly independent. Soon I’ll be measuring hiking distances with a yardstick instead of miles. Meadowdale park/beach looks like it might be a good nearby destination for a warm summer day.