Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB Terror: A Banshee On Bandera (THE FULL STORY!)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostFri May 16, 2008 2:50 am 
We were almost to the last bend in the trail before the the final stretch to the vehicles. Alti-Babe decided she wanted to trail run the rest of the way so she took off at a jog. Just as she disappeared out of the sight of the headlamps we heard a blood curdling scream that made our hearts stop. We started running full sprint, Dude screaming, "Tisha! Tisha!" We saw her sprawled on the ground, ice axe raised, as a shadow loomed out of the darkness . . . Too tired to finish, maybe we'll get to it tomorrow. Edit: Continued on bottom of first page

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri May 16, 2008 2:59 am 
Yikes! Can't wait to hear the conclusion. Hope Tish is okay... agree.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 16, 2008 3:08 am 
Yes YIKES! I hope all is well with Miss. Tisha.... What are you guys doing up at 3am? Im working, what's your excuse? hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri May 16, 2008 7:47 am 
Well, I'm glad you weren't in a National Park
So hopefully you all pulled out your concealed .41 magnums and shot whatever it was, thus causing a happy ending to this cliffhanger...

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri May 16, 2008 7:54 am 
Whoa! eek.gif Way to leave us hanging! confused.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
ree

ree
PostFri May 16, 2008 8:17 am 
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
We were almost to the last bend in the trail before the the final stretch to the vehicles. Alti-Babe decided she wanted to trail run the rest of the way so she took off at a jog. Just as she disappeared out of the sight of the headlamps we heard a blood curdling scream that made our hearts stop. We started running full sprint, Dude screaming, "Tisha! Tisha!" We saw her sprawled on the ground, ice axe raised, as a shadow loomed out of the darkness . . . Too tired to finish, maybe we'll get to it tomorrow.
Allow me to finish then. Out of the shadows stood a rippling HUNK of a man, arms bigger and stronger than an old growth tree, and a butt that was perfectly molded into his REI convertible pants. He stood tall, gazing caringly at the dimunitive and docile Tisha, and flashed a friendly grin that made George Clooney look like Billy Barty. He was, alas, ADONIS of the forest. Tisha fainted in glorious ecstasy. Then Tisha woke up and there was Jeremy. The End. poop.gif

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri May 16, 2008 8:24 am 
Ah, I see. hockeygrin.gif Now it all makes sense! agree.gif wink.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri May 16, 2008 8:31 am 
I was up there before the whole gang and this is what I saw (sorry Ree but the convertable pants were off and drying on a branch):

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Wes
Big Foote

Wes
Big Foote
PostFri May 16, 2008 11:42 am 
Sorry missed the adventure -- on vacation. Where's Indie when you need hiim?

gary

gary
PostFri May 16, 2008 12:12 pm 
More Cowbell wrote:
I was up there before the whole gang and this is what I saw (sorry Ree but the convertable pants were off and drying on a branch):
Are you sure? Using my copy of the unannounced beta version of Google's "trail view", this is what I see for that time period:
Oops, sorry! That was my location, not the TNAB's...

gone

gone
PostFri May 16, 2008 12:58 pm 
Yikes! Can't wait for the thrilling conclusion! Hope everyone made it down and home safely. Hated to miss the adventure, but couldn't bring myself to hang out in the snow on such a beautiful day (plus a deep rooted fear of avalanches). Headed up the North Fork Snoqualmie instead. Dang, just realized that I'm not going to make next week either, as I'm out of town for work. It might be June before I can hook up with you all again. frown.gif

cartman

cartman
PostFri May 16, 2008 1:08 pm 
So didja get to the top? Also curious as to the snow conditions on the upper open slopes.

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri May 16, 2008 1:22 pm 
Fabulous conditions up there. Yes, the group made it to the top. Lead group in about 1:40. Wonderful glissades back down. Just boots - carried snowshoes but weren't needed. A few preliminary pics
TNAB leaving Bandera
TNAB leaving Bandera
Sun melting away
Sun melting away

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 16, 2008 3:24 pm 
A couple of us headed up the Old Mason Way Trail toward Mason Lake The snow was firm but ideal for travel and the talus snow covered views not as god as the top but not too bad.
Macs Butt
Macs Butt
Mason Lake Old Trail
Mason Lake Old Trail
View from Mason Lake Old Trail
View from Mason Lake Old Trail
Lynda on Old Trail
Lynda on Old Trail

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostFri May 16, 2008 4:39 pm 
Eleven hikers met at the trailhead to Ira Spring Memorial trail, #1038, with three already on the trail for a total of 14 for this week's adventure. Malachai Constant and his wife, Lynda (Malachai Consta-girl ?) announced they were going to try for Mason Lake via the old trail so the rest of us headed out for Bandera Mountain just after 6:00PM. The group included drewcoll, wamtngal, Just Todd, yukon222, GQ-Hiker-Boy, TNAB's Damon, runningbird (plus Cubbie), and the Schmidt Altitude team (complete with Alti-Row and Alti-Kief). The trail wasn't clear for very long and soon we were traveling on sloppy white mush. The creeks we crossed were swollen with foaming white water. We caught up to Mesahchie Mark and Yet just before the first swithback. They were heading down, having decided a romantic dinner beat post holing in the sloppy conditions. After cheerfully chatting with them for a few minutes we continued on. We switchbacked in the snow through the forest, following what we thought was the trail as best we could. Eventually it became clear that there was a recent set of boot prints (plus paw prints) in the snow and we followed those. As we broke into the steep cleared hillside, we spotted Larry (and Digger) kickstepping far above us. We made good time using his established steps and ascended towards the ridgeline and then the summit.
Heading up
Heading up
Final push to the summit
Final push to the summit
The weather was absolutely perfect and the views incredible. Mt. Rainier in all her glory dominated the vies to the south. We could see the still frozen solid Mason, Kulla Kulla, No Name, Island, and other lakes below us. We ate our snacks, snapped our fill of pictures, and started to head back down when the sun dipped low on the horizon. The snow was so soft that we decided to take the "quick" way down - the patented TNAB butt luge (or as GQ called it a bump-n-rump). This was great for everyone except Alti-Dude who was wearing his thin summer hiking shorts! Let's just say the "kids" were frozen for hours eek.gif . While running around as we slid down the mountain face, Kiefer managed to slip out of her coat. GQ, yukon, Babe, and Dude stayed back to look for it while the rest headed home. After locating it we set off to catch up to the group. Luckily, we spotted a confused Cubbie still waiting for her human to come down the hill. While GQ continue on, we explained to Cubbie that her "mom" was now down the trail and she had to come with us. We managed to chow-wrangle her down past the switchbacks to main straight stretch where upon she took off down the trail without so much as a thank you. After we were off the snow and back on solid ground, we decided to trail jog to make up some time. We soon caught up to Damon and slowed to a walk. Tisha decided to run ahead on her own when the most memorable event of the night happened . . . . . .SHE SAID: I was impatient to be off the trail so instead of walking with the guys I decided to run ahead since we were so close to the trailhead. Suddenly I heard a feral growl as a large shape leaped out of the bushes at me. In that instant I knew three things: (1)I was being attached by a cougar, (2)I was going to die, and (3)I was not going to go down without a fight. Faster that I could think, I screamed a ear splitting, raise-the-dead battle cry as I raised my ice axe to defend myself. Just as I was starting to swing I recognized GQ-Hiker-Boy smiling as he emerged from the bushes. I called him a few names that can't be repeated in this forum and slumped to the ground in relief just as the guys caught up to me. (Upon further review I think I should have spiked him with the axe anyways) Trail Stats: 2995' elevation gain, 1 hour 40 minutes trailhead to summit (Alti-Babe will add some more photos as soon as her heart stops racing wink.gif )

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season