Forum Index > Trip Reports > Judy's Peak 6600' Mary's Peak 6730' A bittersweet day
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Type E

Type E
PostTue May 13, 2008 11:35 am 
My original intent was to do something off of the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie but when there was a steady rain on Sunday I knew a change of plans was in order. I always to head to Teanway when the weather is iffy and this was the perfect choice for this day. I picked up Nick and David at 0600 in Issaquah with a slight drizzle. By the time we crested Snoqualmie Pass there wasn't a cloud to be seen. I was able to drive further on the road than I was expecting. I pushed through a few small snow patches and pushed my luck through some larger ones before deciding that was enough tempting fate. I backtracked and parked near a bridge crossing the North Fork of the Teanaway. I eagerly applied sunscreen liberally. When I let the dogs out of the car they were off before I had a chance to leash them. The beagle crossed the river on the bridge and was off. I finished packing up and followed across the bridge yelling for him. With the rushing water I could not hear him and I was sure he couldn't hear me. I waited a while before deciding to get moving. I expected he would return to the car and wait for our return. The goal was for a summit of Iron and Genes Peak via the Beverly Creek trail. The snow was rock hard so the long road walk to the summer traihead went quickly. Once we over the summer trail it traverses along the creek for .25 mile. I found this traverse to very unpleasant. It was very icy with a substantial drop to the rushing creek below. I broke out the ice axe and went very slowly. We crossed the creek and I decided that a change in plans were in order. I really didn't want to keep along the creek so we recrossed the creek near the Earl Peak trail. Instead of ascending the basin via the trail I had us climb the defined ridge heading North. The snow coverage was patchy but mostly consistent but was firm and very stable. We crested the ridge and lounged soaking up the warm sun and enjoying a bite to eat. Now on the ridge our route was plainly in front of us. Judy's Peak looked a little imposing but we had no problems topping out. Once on top of Judy's I wanted Mary's further along the ridge. Again we had no problems except for an occaional full body posthole. Since I had already climbed Bean Peak I had no desire to continue on the ridge so we contemplated our descent route. I really didn't want to retrace our steep ascent route and the basin below was begging for some bootprints. We all had a wonderful short but steep glissade to the basin below. I really enjoyed meandering through the basin. Soon we were back for the most unpleasant traverse. The conditons had softened making it even more tedious. I was very thankful to all have passed without incident. The snow on the road had softened considerably making it little slower than our ascent. Soon we were back at the Subaru. The Beagle however was not. I spent some time calling and searching to no avail. Not wanting to keep my partners and made the long drive home. When I told my wife about the lost dog I had half expected her to be happy. Beagles are not the easiest dog to own and with 2 small children can make for some tense moment. She wanted to go back and see if we could find him. We packed up the kids and were off for a "family adventure". I expected to see Baxter running down I-90 on the way. After nearly an hour of searching we had no luck. I think someone probably picked him up. Since he is microchipped I am still hopeful for a reuniting of my most annoying pet. I passed all my info to every agency I could think of so now we wait. For those of you that follow my escapades I am sure knew losing the Beagle was inevitable. If it wasn't for the loss of my pet it was one of my most enjoyable days in the mountains ever. Approx 11 miles 4100' of climb 7:15 car to car

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostTue May 13, 2008 12:36 pm 
Very sorry to hear about losing Baxter. We hope he is returned safely to you soon. frown.gif It is a very scary and sad thing to lose your dog on the trail, no matter how annoying they are. Please keep us updated.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 13, 2008 2:07 pm 
Sorry to hear about that E.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue May 13, 2008 7:07 pm 
Sorry about your dog. About how far past 29pines CG were you able to drive?

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Type E

Type E
PostTue May 13, 2008 7:15 pm 
Thanks for all the good wishes! Dicey, I was able to drive past the guard station. With the nice weather this week I would expect to be able to drive nearly to the Beverly Creek Campground.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue May 13, 2008 8:53 pm 
I'm sorry your dog ran off. I hope somebody found him and is feeding him turkey.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 14, 2008 10:51 am 
up.gif Nice E, I have Hawkins, Teanaway, and Earl on the Teanaway list once snow conditions firm up, they should next week after this hot spell. I was stripping paint off the back deck on the house and the sun is so intense today I could only stay at it for about an hour.

Living in the Anthropocene
Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostWed May 14, 2008 12:16 pm 
E~ do you know if your dog is alive? Hungry? Confused and scared? I can't imagine my dog missing in the woods. I wouldn't be able to sleep, or even leave for that matter. My well wishes are for Baxter!!! I hope you're not hungry confused.gif or lonely

Type E

Type E
PostWed May 14, 2008 2:12 pm 
Again never underestimate the power of good wishes. I was on the phone expanding my search when the phone beeped through. It was my vet, they have Baxter in Ellensburgh. Thanks again for all the well wishes. E

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed May 14, 2008 2:43 pm 
Whoa. That is good for the dog. Congrats. Happy endings!

Art is an adventure.
Type E

Type E
PostWed May 14, 2008 3:38 pm 
Just to add some info. He wasn't found until today in the campground near were I lost him. I wish I knew what he has been doing the last 2 nights. It is quite amazing he has no health issues at all.

run4cache

run4cache
PostWed May 14, 2008 3:52 pm 
I love the happy ending!!! What a relief.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 14, 2008 4:58 pm 
Whoo hoo! Ten thumbs up for Baxter. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
shadetree

shadetree
PostWed May 14, 2008 8:34 pm 
I glad to hear your dog was returned. Those micro chips really are handy. cool.gif

Oma

Oma
PostSat May 17, 2008 2:24 pm 
I still can't believe Baxter survived two nights in the wild! Thank goodness for the microchip. up.gif