Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cleator Rd to Lost Lk area: Chuckanuts 5/19/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostTue May 20, 2008 9:28 pm 
Yesterday, I parked at the end/top of the Cleator Rd in the Chuckanuts and hiked down the steep trail to the service road that runs near Fragrance Lake then over to near Lost Lake. The trail down from Cleator Road is pretty steep and sees a lot of use by mountain bikers on burly, full suspension downhill bikes judging by the trail's condition. It was breezy, cloudy with a few sprinkles up high. There are views through the forest of the lush, green, forested hills and the Bay; beautiful! There's a rockwall here that you can bushwhack over to for better views west over the water. But, be careful. Rocks and vegetation can be wet and slick. If you slip and fall, you're dead meat. And the process could be slow! Once I hit the service road, I turned left/south on a rolling trail on the west side of the hill that ties into the Lost Lake Trail. Since this area was blocked from wind, flies and gnats were out en masse. A long winter has weakened my tolerance of harrassing insects. They dive bombed and buzzed my ears, eyes and nose. It was a big mistake not not bring bug dope. I stayed straight at the junction with the Lost Lake Trail figuring the trail would loop back to the east side of the lake like the route I took last year. At the junction, Lost Lake is to the left. There were dirtbike tracks on this trail and the trail to Lost Lake within Larrabee State Park. The trail leaves the state park, descends steeply in spots, passes near a nice swamp, a cool sandstone wall,
Chuckanut sandstone near Lost Lake, Washington
Chuckanut sandstone near Lost Lake, Washington
an old lake
old lake in the Chuckanuts near Lost Lake
old lake in the Chuckanuts near Lost Lake
then ends on a logging road. Where was the turnoff to Lost Lake? I turned around but could not find it so I went back to the main junction, turned right and hiked down to Lost Lake the normal way. It started to rain harder so I turned around and hiked back to the car. Hiking up the steep trail to the top/end of Cleator Rd was a good workout which felt good. I love steep trails! It was a nice hike. I don't mind showers, sprinkles and overcast skies if it's warm. Grey skies keep the crowds down and seem to bring out the lush, greeness of the plants and foliage. Didn't see a soul all day. Heard jets descending and ascending into the Bellingham airport. If it's clear and you have a window seat, it's really cool to see the Chuckanuts below when descending into Bellingham airport. The usual spring forest flowers were out - trillium, candyflower, a fairy slipper, Oregon grape, bleeding heart. On the drive out, I parked and hiked down the trail at the highest hairpin turn of the Cleator Rd. There's a rockoutcrop about 1/2 mile in which is above Lost Lake and has a wonderful view to the east.
near rock outcrop near Cleator Rd, Chuckanut Mtns, Washington
near rock outcrop near Cleator Rd, Chuckanut Mtns, Washington
Lost Lake (?) from trail off Cleator Rd, Chuckanut Mtns, Washington
Lost Lake (?) from trail off Cleator Rd, Chuckanut Mtns, Washington
Lost Lake and Blanchard Mtn from a trail off Cleator Rd in the Chuckanut Mtns, Washington
Lost Lake and Blanchard Mtn from a trail off Cleator Rd in the Chuckanut Mtns, Washington
The trail continues on but I don't know where it goes. Have to go back and find out. This TR is very similar to aywolfpac's but the bugs were bad in spots. Wanted to make sure you all know that. About 4.5 hours of hiking.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostWed May 21, 2008 4:27 pm 
I basically took those same two pictures on my trip in. biggrin.gif If I understand correctly you took the straight trail where the sign pointing to Lost Lake or Fragrance Lake Road, yes?
Left or right?  Actually I went straight ahead on my way to Oyster Creek Falls.  You can see how cloudy the day was though.  Yuck!
Left or right? Actually I went straight ahead on my way to Oyster Creek Falls. You can see how cloudy the day was though. Yuck!
That trail then goes downhill very steeply and then flattens out where the swamp is. A little after this it comes to a sort of 3-way intersection where the main trail goes to the right and quickly drops down to the "old lake". The East Lost Lake Trail is off to the left at this intersection. If you kept going a ways down the logging road you could've taken the sidetrip to Oyster Creek Falls but it's kind of tricky to find.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed May 21, 2008 7:07 pm 
That trail from Cleator Ridge to Fragrance Lake is the only trail in the whole Chuckanut / Blanchard complex I dont like. Its rutted from all the bikes, and steep, and you never know when you might get run over. frown.gif Oh well, the cyclists need somewhere to play up there.
Quote:
The trail continues on but I don't know where it goes.
The trail starting from the last hairpin turn before the summit parking area is called the Chuckanut Ridge trail, and its a wonderful walk. It follows the spine of the ridge, with views east to Lost Lake, and also has views of Baker from some of the rock outcroppings along the way. About 2 miles from the top end , you will find a junction on your left. This takes you back to Cleator road, ending just below the gate, and junction with the Fragrance Lake connector. You can follow the road back up to the top of the ridge from here to make a loop. Following the trail 4 miles down to its end puts you here.
choices choices
choices choices
From here, you can walk the 2.4 miles south to the junction at the north end of Lost Lake, then follow the trail back up to Cleator Ridge if you want to do a long loop. But you have to go back up that crappy bike path. frown.gif

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostFri May 23, 2008 2:27 am 
aywolfpac wrote:
If I understand correctly you took the straight trail where the sign pointing to Lost Lake or Fragrance Lake Road, yes?
Yes, I stayed straight at the sign and hiked down to the road you mentioned. I walked down that logging road a little way but didn't want to go too far not knowing where it went. Thanks for the directions.
Captain Jack wrote:
The trail starting from the last hairpin turn...
Thanks for the directions too. I walked about 1/3 mile down that Chuckanut Ridge trail. Nice views from the rock outcrop (pics above) Can't wait to get back up there and hike the loop you mention!

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin