Forum Index > Support & Feedback > "Embedding" a youtube link
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Echo
not a voice

Echo
not a voice
PostWed May 14, 2008 4:25 pm 
Is it possible to embed a youtube link in a post, so that we display a text lable instead of the youtube screen, the way we can with a URL link? Example: can we do something that will display John Denver performing "Rocky Mountain High" instead of with the actual video link being clickable? Ann dell.gif

Sweetest Echo, sweetest nymph, that liv'st unseen Within thy airy shell, by slow Meander's margent green, And in the violet-embroidered vale.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostWed May 14, 2008 4:29 pm 
1) Copy the http://www.youtube.blahblahblah at the top of the webpage you are viewing youtube on. 2) Click Post Reply button on the NWHiker's thread you want to link it on. 3) Click the URL button on the Post a reply screen 4) Paste the http://www.youtube.blahblahblah into the pop-up screen that comes up and click the OK button (must turn pop-up blocker off) 5) Submit

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Echo
not a voice

Echo
not a voice
PostWed May 14, 2008 4:55 pm 
Okay. I could do that one. What I'm trying to do is get the youtube screen, only, behind the text, without everything else that comes on the webpage. It may not be possible, and I don't know how to ask the right questions. There's a reason I use dell.gif for my personal icon. Ann

Sweetest Echo, sweetest nymph, that liv'st unseen Within thy airy shell, by slow Meander's margent green, And in the violet-embroidered vale.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed May 14, 2008 5:18 pm 
You basically want it to spawn in a little, seperate media-player like window? Nope. Don't think there's an easy way to do that. But, what's wrong with simply embedding the video (with preview, loadable at will) in the thread directly? And what's wrong with all the other standard info on the YouTube page?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Echo
not a voice

Echo
not a voice
PostWed May 14, 2008 8:06 pm 
Mike, I guess it's just a matter of personal taste and a desire to achieve a particular effect. First I want the video to be a surprise. Not a bad surprise or shocking surprise. Just unexpected (the example I used was just an example). As far as the other information on the youtube web page, it looks like I'll have to live with it, but I'd rather be able to make the "text label" and the video screen a "one equals the other" comparison, without the distraction of the surrounding information. When we embed youtube videos in a post on this site, we don't link to the webpage; we link to the screen that plays the particular video. In googling to try to find the answer (before I asked here), I did find something that looked like it might be the right thing, but it involved adding a bunch of code related to the "embed" function, with the five lines of youtube's video address included in it. Way, way over my head. If I tried it, I'd probably delete Tom's server - or something. huh.gif Ann dell.gif