Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB breaks through on Lake Serene: 5/22/2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostFri May 23, 2008 9:40 am 
With gas prices rising in feverish anticipation of the western masses heading east to avoid another rainy Memorial Day Weekend (is there any other type?), a distant TNAB lake-bagging adventure was not looking probable for me until Mark placed me in contact with Malachi. The ride to Index was not bad in the carpool lanes and we arrived at the trailhead before 6pm. This was my first trip to Lake Serene and anticipation was running high! The groups were spread out with travelers heading up as they arrived. The lower trail was humid, verdant and buggy, portending a banner year for Index-area brush bashing.
The verdant underbrush of the Index area
The verdant underbrush of the Index area
The only other folks we encountered were a friendly family with kids coming down the trail. The falls were terrific; I imagine they are a draw by themselves.
Malachi and water falls
Malachi and water falls
Peak-a-boo view
Peak-a-boo view
Soon the trail turned steep, with stairs! Stairs! These were a real treat, you don’t get stairs often. How far off is the elevator? agree.gif Not knowing who was behind us, I ran up them to ward off the inevitable interception by dynamic Team S. I heard the ground rumbling, a howl in the distance, thought “here they come”, but it was only a train. lol.gif There was snow, a lot of snow, except at critical junctures. The massive TNAB group size caused irreversible environmental impact from destroying all the natural snow bridges, leaving none for future hikers this year. We had planned to leave a single snow bridge but Malachi found it on the return. I considered changing my handle to SnowBridgeBasher; apparently testing them with your poles is not effective. One series of three break-throughs (with exposure) left me vocalizing three and four letter words; luckily the children were safely off the trail. I was pleased there were no witnesses with video equipment nearby, lest I be the next unwilling YouTube phenomenon. embarassedlaugh.gif It was a birthday treat having the opportunity to kick steps for TNAB. The snow was wonderfully consolidated with snowshoes and traction devices not required, although Malachi tried out his crampons for fun. The first four to the lake ventured to the picnic rock ledges, but there was no convincing the others to join us. The cloud level kept things intimate and subdued, while Lake Serene (at least I’m guessin’ that’s what it was) beckoned from underneath its mantle of snow. No avalanches were witnessed, which may be a good thing.
Jim and Lake Serene
Jim and Lake Serene
Picnic Rock early adaptors
Picnic Rock early adaptors
Though the cloud ceiling raised slightly, this was as high as it went
Though the cloud ceiling raised slightly, this was as high as it went
This sliver of water kept our thoughts of a lake traverse in check
This sliver of water kept our thoughts of a lake traverse in check
Lake Serene gets TNABeb
Lake Serene gets TNABeb
Mark and Yet action photo
Mark and Yet action photo
Everyone made it to the lake except Layback (who experienced health issues?). The clouds held back the moonlight, but headlamps were not donned until the waterfalls.
Snowfield traverse
Snowfield traverse
The perils of lake bagging include not being able to view the sunset.  Or is that the peril of hiking around Mt Index?
The perils of lake bagging include not being able to view the sunset. Or is that the peril of hiking around Mt Index?
This was much better in person, for all those who could not make it!
This was much better in person, for all those who could not make it!
In the parking lot debrief, Yet received her snow-traversing degree, an honor she may not have been expecting for a lake-bagging trip. Indeed, a Highway 2 TNAB had a spicier feel compared the traditional I-90 treks; was it the lower cloud levels, the thinner snow bridges, the logs across the trail, the mistier rain? Ixtapa was ruled out due to the late departure time (10:30) and the long ride home. My birthday TNAB was made specialer when Yet assigned me TR responsibilities smile.gif . A big thanks to Mark for organizing. An all-around splendid outing with great people, for those who made the journey! Yet, Mesahchie Mark, Layback, Larry (plus Digger), twodogdad (plus Boone and Dox), Malachi Constant, mountainsun, JimS, Mark (w/no headlamp) and ????, the smallest outing this year?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostFri May 23, 2008 10:35 am 
Good job guys!!

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 23, 2008 10:40 am 

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
gone

gone
PostFri May 23, 2008 11:21 am 
Great trip report mountainsun! up.gif Looks like it was an interesting (albeit snowy) outing. Sure wish I could have joined you, but I was on a train probably somewhere in Lewis county about the time you all were reaching the lake. Can't make the next one either, as I'm home alone with child until Friday. But I'll be looking forward to the next great report! biggrin.gif

Yet

Yet
PostFri May 23, 2008 1:15 pm 
Thanks for the fun TR, mountainsun! What a treat to have you spend your birthday with us. smile.gif balloons.gif balloons.gif And what a great evening. Just what the doctor ordered. up.gif
Sunset by Mark.
Sunset by Mark.
Larry, Mark & Yet
Larry, Mark & Yet
He loves me :)
He loves me wink.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri May 23, 2008 1:20 pm 
Very fun trip report to read, mountainsun! Sounds like the massive TNAB freight train blasted thru the forest, snows, creeks and anything else in its' path. Unstoppable!! up.gif clown.gif

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostFri May 23, 2008 1:57 pm 
Sorry to have missed this one, especially with a certain TNAB veteran making an appearance. winksmile.gif If only I'd been there, I could have fallen in a hole for you again. embarassedlaugh.gif Great write up mountainsun, and happy belated birthday! blowout.gif candles.gif

drewcoll

drewcoll
PostFri May 23, 2008 2:49 pm 
Looks like fun. Too bad I was busy writing addresses on graduation announcements... rolleyes.gif

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostFri May 23, 2008 3:46 pm 
Looks like you guys had a great time! Love the waterfall shots!

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Ursus

Ursus
PostFri May 23, 2008 8:04 pm 
Nice job guys! I tried Lake Serene a few weeks ago, but had to turn back at some snow-covered avalanche chutes that we were under equipped to cross. eek.gif The pics are great though! biggrin.gif

“Cynicism appears to be the quality most prized by those who accept defeat but not the responsibility for its consequences.” -John McCain
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostFri May 23, 2008 11:03 pm 
Sorry I turned around guys. My acid reflux started kicking up and the rain had me in a so-so mood to begin with. I shouldn't have had those pizza slices - I know better. Home sounded nice...

Yet

Yet
PostFri May 23, 2008 11:05 pm 
Sorry you were not feeling well. But it was nice to see you again. smile.gif

Yet

Yet
PostFri May 23, 2008 11:06 pm 
Schmidt Alti-Babe wrote:
Sorry to have missed this one, especially with a certain TNAB veteran making an appearance. winksmile.gif If only I'd been there, I could have fallen in a hole for you again. embarassedlaugh.gif
Aw Tish. You say the sweetest things! embarassedlaugh.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSat May 24, 2008 1:07 am 
Yet wrote:
He loves me :)
He loves me wink.gif
You two look darn right cute together. agree.gif biggrin.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 24, 2008 3:11 am 
Who wouldnt? Happy birthday! up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln