Forum Index > Trip Reports > Heybrook Lookout 5/23/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun May 25, 2008 10:26 pm 
Fuu and his daughter Anza and Dicentra and Maddie joined me and the kids for a hike up to Heybrook Lookout on Friday. It was raining when we left our homes, but we managed to avoid the wetness for our hike. We met at the trailhead around 10:30 (Dicentra and I were late) and quickly geared up and hit the trail. Gabriel was super duper excited about his brand new backpack with all kinds of pockets in it. I let Annika walk as much as she could, but the trail was rougher than I had expected. It was definitely a bit much for toddlers walking under their own power. Gabriel handled it just fine, though.
Maddie
Maddie
Anza
Anza
Fuu and kids
Fuu and kids
Dicentra
Dicentra
This trail was prettier than I was expecting. It is green and mossy, with several little streams crossing the path.
Green and mossy
Green and mossy
The trail is rough with steps and roots and rocks, so it feels wilder than many of the trips we’ve been on recently. There were various little flowers blooming: yellow violets, bleeding hearts, and Oregon grape.
Violets blooming
Violets blooming
Oregon Grape blossom
Oregon Grape blossom
We saw some fungi and heard several birds; we even saw a pileated woodpecker.
Funky Fungi
Funky Fungi
Fuu and Anza found the remains of a wasp nest that had fallen on the ground.
Fallen wasp nest
Fallen wasp nest
We also kept encountering slugs of assorted colors. We were pretty slow making it up to the lookout. The three toddlers needed a lot of help and coaxing to continue to the top. Finally we came in sight of the tower and sat down on the steps to eat lunch.
Heybrook Lookout
Heybrook Lookout
The kids
The kids
Don't take my Elmo!
Don't take my Elmo!
It didn’t take long for the camp robbers to surround us. When the kids weren’t watching, one of the grownups fed a crumb to one of the birds!
Brazen
Brazen
Don't feed the birds!
Don't feed the birds!
After eating we carefully made our way up the steps to the lookout platform and took in the view. The grey clouds made for less of a view than we had hoped for, but it was still neat to see familiar places from a different perspective.
Looking toward Mt. Index
Looking toward Mt. Index
Looking toward Baring
Looking toward Baring
Two Munchkins in Lookout
Two Munchkins in Lookout
Annika didn’t like being up in the tower because of the spaces in between the floor boards (she didn’t like crossing one of the bridges for the same reason). Maddie, on the other hand, showed no fear and wanted to climb even higher to the closed-off portion above the platform. Soon it was time to head back down the trail. We were well into what would normally be the girls’ nap times, so the meltdowns were pretty consistent on the way down the hill.
Tired hiker
Tired hiker
It was time to break out the bribery –- “If you walk I’ll give you some chocolate!” We bribed, cajoled, and pleaded our way down to the bottom. I let the kids use my trekking poles to add incentive.
Mama's little hiker
Mama's little hiker
(“Point the sharp end toward the ground, sweetheart. You’ll poke your eye out with that thing!”) I was so proud of all the kids for completing this hike. This was Gabriel’s most elevation gain, and the hardest thing Annika has done, too. She walked probably ¾ of the way up and much of the way down. Gabriel hardly complained at all. It was really nice to have a dad along, too. Dicentra and Fuu are wonderful hiking partners. I look forward to hiking with them again!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun May 25, 2008 10:54 pm 
way to go, kids! agree.gif they're so cute, too! start them hiking at a young age! sounds like a fun kids day! thanks for sharing your day!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun May 25, 2008 11:35 pm 
Hey Jenn, thanks for encouraging us parents to get our babes out there, in spite of all the challenges that come along with it. I know I don't like being late for nap. Gorgeous kids!

Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu

Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu
PostMon May 26, 2008 12:46 am 
Just to add a few from my camera... Kids on the trip up:
A and M
A and M
Kids on tower observation deck:
G and M
G and M
Slimy friend:
Banana
Banana
On the way home I side tripped up the N Fk Skykomish just to see what the FS meant that the river has been diverted over the road. They mean just what they said:
N Fk Skykomish Riv/Rd
N Fk Skykomish Riv/Rd
It looked easy enough to walk through if you were willing to get your feet wet. Not sure what's around the bend though.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon May 26, 2008 1:46 am 
Fuu wrote:
Kids on tower observation deck:
G and M
G and M
Your kids are so darn cute, Hiker Mama. agree.gif I remember the days of taking little ones... the extra work to prepare for the hike, the extra pack weight for all the supplies, and the patience to keep them moving in the right direction. Still, it's so worth it. Your TR is proof. Thanks for sharing your day with us! up.gif biggrin.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon May 26, 2008 10:45 am 
I am totally impressed with all of the kids. I will bring more/better "bribery" next time! Elmo helped though. lol. Maddy is still saying "I walk..." biggrin.gif HikerMomma, that pic of your kids is frame worthy! OMG. up.gif My TR is up on my blog, but here are a few photos:

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon May 26, 2008 10:53 am 
Wish I could have made it - you could have had Ford carry one of the kids down lol.gif Ah well, that is what I get for having a Dr's appt at 8:30........

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon May 26, 2008 1:45 pm 
We did miss you, Sarbar. You might have gotten bored with us moving so slow, tho! lol.gif We'll keep trying to set something up this summer. I do have to get in a trip to Federation Forest pretty soon for my job. Dicentra, I like that picture of Maddie looking out of the lookout.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon May 26, 2008 1:49 pm 
Fuu, I wondered if you had stopped somewhere along the way home. I don't know if you noticed, but when we were stopped at the stoplight in Monroe next to the Blockbuster, I looked in my rearview mirror and saw you guys right behind us. We turned off for a pit stop at Fred Meyer after that.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon May 26, 2008 5:38 pm 
Too bad that Dora Backpack doesn't just pop out bribes and such, or a singing map for that matter, like the tv version! Glad to see you all made it out on the trail, we were thinking of you from another forest ~ Jo & Felix "I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map!" dizzy.gif

Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu

Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu
PostMon May 26, 2008 11:14 pm 
Hiker Mama wrote:
Fuu, I wondered if you had stopped somewhere along the way home. I don't know if you noticed, but when we were stopped at the stoplight in Monroe next to the Blockbuster, I looked in my rearview mirror and saw you guys right behind us. We turned off for a pit stop at Fred Meyer after that.
I didn't even notice.

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue May 27, 2008 6:29 am 
the lykkens wrote:
Too bad that Dora Backpack doesn't just pop out bribes and such, or a singing map for that matter, like the tv version! Glad to see you all made it out on the trail, we were thinking of you from another forest ~ Jo & Felix "I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map!" dizzy.gif
How cool would that be?! I want a singing map! lol. (the backpack *does* have a map - but alas, it does not sing)

Hikes With Kids

Hikes With Kids
PostTue May 27, 2008 11:51 am 
rotf.gif I've always been kind of keen for Diego's rescue backpack. I mean being able to pull a hang-glider or inflatable raft out of a daypack!? Now that would be sweet...

Life is like eating a jar of jalapenos - what you do today can burn your ass tomorrow...
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostTue May 27, 2008 1:12 pm 
I saw some of the "funky" fungi this weekend as well. Really strange stuff. It looked like pieces of bright yellow jelly-bean/gummi-bear material. --Gray

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue May 27, 2008 2:08 pm 
Gray wrote:
I saw some of the "funky" fungi this weekend as well. Really strange stuff. It looked like pieces of bright yellow jelly-bean/gummi-bear material.
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought it looked like. I saw some more at Wallace Falls on Saturday. I like the idea of a singing map! lol.gif