Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dirty Harry's - The Sequel!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yukon222

yukon222
PostTue May 27, 2008 2:59 pm 
After a long day of playing in the snow on Kaleetan Peak on Saturday, the ‘S’ team (Schmidt Altitude – ‘Dude, ‘Babe, whippets Kiefer and Rowena; Steve aka yukon222) decided to believe the horrible forecast for 60% chance of thunderstorms in the Teanaway. So after mulling over our options early Sunday morning, we settled on cleaning up some unfinished business. Earlier in the year, TNAB ran out of time in an attempt of Dirty Harry’s Peak. Revenge was in order!! A thick cloud layer hung over the valley and as we ascended the abandoned road strewn with loose 2”, 3” and 5” rock, the humidity felt like we were in a jungle.
Trillium along trail
Trillium along trail
We picked our way up thru the lower road sections, moving from side to side in a futile attempt to avoid the streams spilling onto/down/over/under the road.
A couple of sections of slide alder to work thru but not difficult. Just annoying. We started to break thru the cloud deck around 3200’ and that was about where the continuous snow coverage returned. Boots sank in about 8” as we climbed the logging roads. Recognized a few landmarks from the TNAB night run earlier in the year and the giant talus field glissade area. It was another sunny day high in the mountains, with the cloud cover staying low down in the valley and blue skies enveloping the mountain tops. Since none of us had been up to DHP before, we didn’t take any shortcuts thru the trees to eliminate some of the long road switchbacks. Plenty of snow to do so, maybe next time. Slogged up the last road section to the summit and sank down into the warm snow. Yes, warm! Sun was softening the snow, with the top 12” liquefying. Good views north to Glacier and east to Kaleetan. Could just make out Dirty Box to the West. Laid around on the summit for half hour or so. Nice lazy day, no rush to get back since we were so close to North Bend.
Upside down world
Upside down world
Close but far away...
Close but far away...
Kaleetan, et al from Dirty Harry's
Kaleetan, et al from Dirty Harry's
On the way back down, we passed a couple of rock climbers who were climbing some of the lower outcroppings. They said the climbing was very similar to the popular rocks on the other side of the highway with fewer people on this north group. We could see what he was talking about as we drove by 40 cars at the main climbing area! DHP was a worthy destination, although the jumbled rocky trail was a pain on the way down. Or maybe it felt like that because we had just pounded out another 3500’ gain after the previous days 5850’ gain thru the snows of Kaleetan?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostTue May 27, 2008 3:02 pm 
After the elevation gain we racked up from Saturday, I was ready for an easier climb. 3400' is easier, right? wink.gif clown.gif I kept mentally preparing myself the whole morning, thinking, "60% chance of rain, this is going to be wet, I'm going to be wet and miserable all day...." Little did I know that I was going to get baked again. huh.gif Not a drop of rain, just loads of sunshine - almost too much of it as I was overheating on the way up turning me into a bit of a dumb blonde eyes.gif wazzup.gif !
At the Balcony junction
At the Balcony junction
More soggy toes!
More soggy toes!
Trillium
Trillium
Whippet in the mist
Whippet in the mist
Oof, shouldn't have had that extra pop tart!
Oof, shouldn't have had that extra pop tart!
Sasquatch?
Sasquatch?
Zorro and Russian Butte
Zorro and Russian Butte
Clouds cover the Middle Fork Snoqualmie
Clouds cover the Middle Fork Snoqualmie
Soaking up the Vitamin D
Soaking up the Vitamin D
Hey, it's like a giant snowcone!
Hey, it's like a giant snowcone!
Treats, Uncle Yukon?
Treats, Uncle Yukon?
60% chance of rain :P
60% chance of rain :P
Did you get my good side?
Did you get my good side?
Yeah, we cool.
Yeah, we cool.
It's "Predator"!
It's "Predator"!
Now the toes are really soggy
Now the toes are really soggy
No wading for Rowena!
No wading for Rowena!
Why do you guys make me do this?
Why do you guys make me do this?

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostTue May 27, 2008 3:03 pm 
It was nice to erase our one "failure" this year. I'm glad we figured out the route to the summit even though we realized we didn't have any beta on the route only after we were half way up the mountain. You just pick the road that leads up the most lol.gif ! Here's a few panoramas, label at will:
View looking over the Middle Fork Snoqualmie Valley
7 labels
View looking over the Middle Fork Snoqualmie Valley
View looking over the South Fork Snoqualmie Valley (I-90)
4 labels
View looking over the South Fork Snoqualmie Valley (I-90)

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue May 27, 2008 3:14 pm 
PEAKBAGGERS!!! OMG, what is happening to you guys?? clown.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue May 27, 2008 3:19 pm 
Yup, I have to agree with dicey, y'all Schmidt's are a bunch of peakbaggers...well, maybe streambaggers... Waiting for the Kaleetan report...I'm assuming there's a video involved. wink.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue May 27, 2008 3:45 pm 
My god, Dirty Harry's peak has views? I've tried that one many times and this is about the best view I've had:
Invariably I end up there on a rainy/snowy day. Sooner or later I'll make it to the top. I can only bring myself to walk that rocky/slippery/watery road once a year. embarassedlaugh.gif If you guys are in the area again you should look for Dirty Harry's old truck. You probably walked within 100 ft of it crossing over that stream. Took me a few trips to find it.

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostTue May 27, 2008 3:58 pm 
wamtngal wrote:
Waiting for the Kaleetan report...I'm assuming there's a video involved. wink.gif
We took a ton more pictures on this trip so it is taking a bit of time to pick the best ones. Probably have the TR up late tonight.
Opus wrote:
If you guys are in the area again you should look for Dirty Harry's old truck. You probably walked within 100 ft of it crossing over that stream. Took me a few trips to find it.
As I noted earlier, as we passed the spot where TNAB had to turn back, we remembered that none of us had done this trail before and had no beta on the correct route or the "museum" location doh.gif . We looked it up in a trail book afterward and it says it right next to the trail by the stream crossing.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue May 27, 2008 5:44 pm 
great job team S! dude: your panos are getting cleaner! babe: love your 'whippet in the mist' photo!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
gone

gone
PostTue May 27, 2008 9:09 pm 
Way to go! Glad you came back and kicked its tail! I'm inspired enough by your success to almost consider maybe ... oh, never mind, I'm with Opus:
Quote:
Sooner or later I'll make it to the top.
But it probably won't be this year. tongue.gif bcfc53 is right, Dude, your panos are getting cleaner - those are brilliant shots! up.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue May 27, 2008 10:59 pm 
What's up with walking through all these streams? I'm starting to think you LIKE getting your feet wet.

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostWed May 28, 2008 8:59 am 
Good to know Team S occasionally does a dayhike like the rest of us mere mortals. biggrin.gif 10,000+ feet in back-to-back days, though... think that just about qualifies as an overnighter. agree.gif Babe: up.gif up.gif on "Did you get my good side?" Great caption to go with a great shot. ditto.gif on "Upside down world", yukon. Always enjoy your reports...

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostWed May 28, 2008 4:24 pm 
Uh oh, I've think I've figured out a new trick beside panos!
Dirty Harry's Creek Crossing
Dirty Harry's Creek Crossing

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostWed May 28, 2008 6:04 pm 
A collective groan sounds throughout the nwhikers crowd. Please don't encourage him, please!! doof.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed May 28, 2008 6:25 pm 
okay, no encouragement for dude. shakehead.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss