Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Teneriffe (5/25/08) and Granite Mountain (5/26/08)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Arete

Arete
PostTue May 27, 2008 10:31 am 
With the (supposedly!) unsettled weather we stuck close to home this past weekend and hiked up to a couple of I-90 summits. Here are the current conditions, as we found them: Mount Teneriffe via Kamikaze ridge (Sun 5/25) Jo has already posted a nice trip report here on their group’s loop of Teneriffe and Si. We had a very nice visit with them on a rocky outcrop of Kamikaze ridge. This was our first trip up the ridge to the summit of Teneriffe, having previously been frequent users of the road route. We began at 6 from the parking area and had a pleasant stroll up the gravel road in the quiet, misty morning for about a mile and a quarter. The creek was running very high and the first part of the boot path beyond the warning sign was a little wet. The trail climbed steadily beside the creek through steep forest for a half hour or so to the falls.
Lower cascades
Lower cascades
Steep forest path
Steep forest path
Steep forest path
Steep forest path
From the falls the trail ascends up and right to the narrow crest of the ridge where we happened upon a herd of mountain goats with some beautiful kids (all too fast for our camera unfortunately). The path up the ridge was snowfree until about 3800 ft.
Path winds its way up through mossy boulders
Path winds its way up through mossy boulders
Along the rocky ridgeline
Along the rocky ridgeline
Ascending into the sunshine
Ascending into the sunshine
From that point we climbed upward over firm snow until we broke out of the forest around 4400 ft. The upper snowfields were still pretty firm at 9:00, though some holes are developing near a couple of rock bands that we skirted to the west.
Snow in upper forest
Snow in upper forest
Upper snowfields
Upper snowfields
Summit of Teneriffe
Summit of Teneriffe
Summit
Summit
Mount Si from summit of Teneriffe
Mount Si from summit of Teneriffe
It will probably be a number of weeks before the entire route is free of snow. Poles were helpful, and we found no need for ice axe or snowshoes. The summit was in glorious sunshine. The descent was less than glorious. It was steep like Mailbox, but as the path is less trodden, the going seemed slower – particularly on the way down. 7.5 hours car-to-car (including an hour of summit sunbathing); about 3800 elevation gain. Granite Mountain via winter route (Mon 5/26) Another early morning start (6 AM) from the trailhead to catch the firm snow portion of the day. The trail was mostly snow free to about 3200 feet. From there, the snow patches get longer and more persistent until it is completely snow covered for the last few hundred yards before the trail crosses the first major chute (at about 3580 ft). We left the trail shortly before the chute, following footprints up the winter route through brush and forest on the slopes just west and above the chute. We actually stayed off snow much of the way up, following slopes of beargrass and low shrubs up to the main SW ridge at around 4800-5000 feet (with one steep 100-foot snow section).
Main gully from summer trail crossing
Main gully from summer trail crossing
Snow covering the path low down on the winter route
Snow covering the path low down on the winter route
Climbing the middle snowfields
Climbing the middle snowfields
Bushwacking through the beargrass forest
Bushwacking through the beargrass forest
The ridge was snowfree, transitioning from low vegetation to boulder hopping at the top. One final 100 feet of snow brought us to the summit lookout and the usual spectacular view.
Upper risge transition from vegetation to rocks
Upper risge transition from vegetation to rocks
Up the boulder ridge
Up the boulder ridge
Boulder hopping
Boulder hopping
Tunneling up through the boulder field
Tunneling up through the boulder field
Summit lookout
Summit lookout
Kaleetan and Chair
Kaleetan and Chair
Getting ready for a 1500-foot  glissade
Getting ready for a 1500-foot glissade
A fun, bottom-numbing glissade eek.gif took us quickly back down to the trail just before 1 PM. Poles were nice and an ice axe was a must for the glissade.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue May 27, 2008 10:50 am 
Ahh a name to a face, I'm jealous that you added Granite to your weekend as well, we're hoping to get up there this coming weekend. Tell the boys hi and that we talk about their adventures to all the parents in our group who quit hiking when they had children. I wonder if they are just afraid their kids will beat them to the summit tongue.gif We'll watch for your family in the future, have a great late Spring of hiking!

northbynorthwest

northbynorthwest
PostTue May 27, 2008 12:17 pm 
Arete...these are awesome and inspiring pics. I was thinking I would have to put off some more serious hiking for a while when we had kids. Well, this weekend we hiked the direct approach to Poo Poo Point, the traverse across to to Tiger 2, and back to the trailhead, round trip 9 miles, with our 5 year old. There was steep ascents, bushwacking, and creek crossings. She did fine! How old were your kids before they were doing stuff like Teneriffe? And where did you get the tether, that looks like a very good idea.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue May 27, 2008 1:02 pm 
A 5 year old carrying a backpack. I am jealous. Its hard to get my 7 year old walk without complaining on a logging road.

Art is an adventure.
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue May 27, 2008 1:11 pm 
Nice trip! You guys were probably some of the little black dots I saw through my monocular from across the valley on Silver. Sure looks melted out up there.

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostWed May 28, 2008 7:24 am 
Arete, we were the group of 4 on Teneriffe you passed right near Kamikaze on your way down. Too bad I didn't realize you are a nwhiker. We were busy ooooohing at the falls just then I think, but I'd have pulled away to chat had I known. Love "Ascending into Sunshine"

PostWed May 28, 2008 7:39 am 
Thanks for the reports! Appreciate the current info on the snow levels. Those are some hefty hikes for youngsters. Must say, I find myself a bit jealous when I think about all the decades of hikes those kids have in front of them! Kudos to you for cultivating some budding hikers! up.gif

Life is short, hike hard...
DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostWed May 28, 2008 8:02 am 
Stefan wrote:
A 5 year old carrying a backpack. I am jealous. Its hard to get my 7 year old walk without complaining on a logging road.
Our 8 year old has a way better attitude for hiking than our 12 year old does. Erik (8) did our entire 7.75 mile Freund Canyon hike with good spirits and no complaining at all, not one bit, over the 4.5 hours we were on the trail. Most of Philip's (12) complaining is just testing us though. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference though when he ends up pissing me off! He has hiked and camped enough to know what his capabilities are and he knows that I know that.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 28, 2008 8:10 am 
Great trip. Way to get the tykes involved early. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Arete

Arete
PostWed May 28, 2008 1:01 pm 
Hi All! What a wonderful thing to finally knowingly meet up with some of the folks we have been reading about here on NW Hikers! Jo, thanks for hosting such a nice rest stop atop the rocky ridge! I'm glad to see the rest of the traverse went well. And a belated hi, rdyhiker! We will have to chat next time – careful with that cast! eek.gif Opus – thanks for the trip report on Silver. We were looking your way as well and we’ll be heading over to Silver in the coming weeks! up.gif NBN – that is super, what your daughter did on Tiger, at 5! Since our boys started hiking we have used a tether system. It has saved some unpleasant spills, softened some of the faceplants, and eased our nerves in exposed spots. We use Black Diamond Kid’s Bod Harnesses along with some lines made out of either retired 9 mm climbing ropes or webbing slings. Usually we just clip them into us as we scramble along. We’ve found increasingly that if our hikes / climbs have a good deal of a scramble component that they get more excited about it. In the winter we can take them to local parks with trails and sometimes walking a mile is a moaning, difficult exercise. Then, on the weekend, we can head out and scramble up Hi Box with enough off trail navigating and class 2-3 rock scrambling and they are out leading the charge all the way. Since they were 6, we’ve tried to select a number of off trail routes where they can take turns at leading the way and selecting the route (with parental veto power always a possibility!) – they love that role. Storytelling and general silliness have also helped when their interest wanes along the way. Lately, if something has a good glissade (and sufficient snow for snowballs to pommel dad in the bottom as he kicks steps), they will climb up anything. We have been blessed with a couple of boys that indeed love to be out in the mountains. As many folks here do, we took them out on day hikes and short backpack trips on our backs starting very early. I think that helped the outdoors to become a comfortable playground for them (plus, a tent full of Therm-a-rests was not so different than an entire night in an inflatable bouncy playhouse). We had not planned on doing much in the way of difficult hikes with kids. However, one day a few weeks after our older son’s third birthday, we arrived at the Mount Si parking lot and packed up the child carrier, thinking we would carry him when he got tired. It was not to be. Every time we asked him if he wanted to ride he refused, and four hours later he was standing at the base of the Haystack. Since then he has insisted on climbing everything in sight. His little brother was slower to develop his own enthusiasm for hiking in the mountains, but by four years old he too was scrambling along behind his older brother. They hiked a lot of the classic I-90 and Teanaway peaks (and others) at 4 and 5 years old (Mailbox, Granite, McClellan, Silver, Iron, Earl, Bean, etc.) and as Jo suggests by the time they were 6 we were having to tell them to slow down and wait for us. I do suspect, as DRSpalding mentioned, that this will change with age. We already see that, especially with the older boy (now 10 years old) as their interests diversify and they spend more time with their friends. And of course, their interests wax and wane. Just last summer our younger son (6 years old) declared that he didn’t want to hike anymore. That lasted for a month and he began asking why we weren’t going out hiking so much. By September he was leading us up to the top of Mount Adams and has declared that he wants to climb Mount Rainier this summer. So, who knows where this is taking us – but we are reveling in the moment and sharing some great times together in the mountains. Hopefully we will see more of you guys from NWHikers out there along the way! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Near the top of Hidden Lake Peak (Aidan, 6 and Janick, 3 and two old geezers)
Near the top of Hidden Lake Peak (Aidan, 6 and Janick, 3 and two old geezers)