Forum Index > Trip Reports > Only the Old Si Trail - but at least I can hike! 5-24-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostMon May 26, 2008 8:22 am 
My first hike since fracturing my wrist on Mother's Day. Bearing in mind the doctor's dire warnings against any kind of slip or fall right now, I decided to stay off snow as much as possible. I did want some elevation gain though and that didn't leave many options, but the Old Si trail would do nicely. I had some concern beforehand that it might be muddy and slick, but a happy find at the trailhead - the perfect walking stick - gave me some assurance of not slipping. As it turned out the trail was mostly dry with just a few small slick patches and the weather was perfect with unpredicted sun and blue sky. While there were the usual Si crowds once we joined the new trail, just below the summit, the only other hikers on the old trail were 3 singles who passed us on their way down as we were ascending. Start time 8:30. 2 1/2 hours to summit, taking it easy.
So happy to be on a trail again!
So happy to be on a trail again!
IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0978.JPG
Not much to report about the trail except a few sign changes. As I expect most people know, the trail begins on the Little Si trail then branches off to the right. My last time here, this past Thanksgiving, there was a sign pointing the way to Little Si - though no mention of the old trail - at the junction. The sign has been removed, though we could see it propped against a tree a few hundred yards down the Little Si trail. At the next junction there is a big new sign, however, identifying the nature loop with an arrow pointing left and one pointing right (the way you just came). Take the unidentified path there to get on the Old Si trail. I didn't take many pics, just enough to record I was there, and unfortunately none of the signs... EDIT: Does anyone know what the true elevation gain is for Si? I hear everything from 3100 - 3800 feet and I always wonder what's accurate..

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostMon May 26, 2008 9:22 am 
Great work! I hope you heal quickly and are back into the big mountains soon!

gone

gone
PostTue May 27, 2008 2:18 pm 
Sorry to hear that you broke your wrist frown.gif, glad to hear you're healing up and back on the trail, though! up.gif I did the old trail a few weeks ago and hit snow just above the first intersection with the new trail (about 3300', I think?); I continued for a ways along the ridge but eventually found it too hard going without crampons or YakTrax (which I'd left at home). Glad to hear this has all melted out - can't wait to get up there again myself, it's a great alternative to the main trail.

northbynorthwest

northbynorthwest
PostTue May 27, 2008 9:37 pm 
Awesome pics!

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue May 27, 2008 10:08 pm 
Great job getting out with that broken wrist! ...very smart to avoid the slippery snow. When I broke my arm in 4th grade, I promptly began riding my bike again (although I broke it playing kickball of all things)...coming down a hill my bike slid on some gravel and over the handlebars I went. The cast was scuffed up (in fact, sliding across the pavement, I rubbed a hole in it by my elbow) and I ended up having to go in and get extra plaster slapped on it...oh and I ended up having to keep the cast on longer because I reinjured it a bit. Bah! Moral of story? Don't slip and fall or else you face certain doom of having to put up with that cast for an extended period of time! smile.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue May 27, 2008 11:36 pm 
Sorry to hear about your wrist, but glad to hear you're getting out.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostWed May 28, 2008 7:10 am 
Many thanks for the good wishes guys. mtnsun, Boy I sure hope so too! Si, old or new, on a holiday weekend? I cringed at the thought initially.. but it was an opportunity to hike off snow... and it came with a driver... agree.gif ewb, only one small snow patch, just after we joined the new trail at the highest point. Probably gone by now, though don't know about the rest of the new trail. north, rather standard pics, I think, but thanks. wamtngal, thanks for sharing your experience. up.gif up.gif I needed a reminder/ reenforcement of the doc's warning to keep me from temptation this week... And Matt, thanks! Hope to see you soon at TNAB - or out there somewhere. smile.gif