Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kickin' and Klickin' at Kaleetan Peak via Melakwa Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostTue May 27, 2008 10:48 pm 
With the doom and gloom weather forecast for Memorial Weekend, the ‘S Team’ (Steve a.k.a yukon222 and the Schmidts Altitudes a.k.a Babe, Row, Kief, and Dude) decided that a couple of dayhikes were in order. We reasoned that it sure would be nicer to warm up with a shower and hot meal at home if you're rained on rather than spending the night in a soggy tent. Yukon wanted to show us the way up Kaleetan Peak so we made that our goal for Saturday. We parked at the end of the plowed road just before the bridge over the South Fork Snoqualmie River. We weren't happy about the extra 2 miles round trip of road walk but it's a common story this year mad.gif . There was one other vehicle at the parking area and we wondered if it was mbgriffi on one of his dawn patrols. We pounded down the snow-covered roads to the trailhead as fast as we could. Then, we roughly followed the summer trail to the first Denny Creek bridge, under eastbound I-90, and to the second bridge. Getting on the second bridge was a little tricky because the snow was corniced over the bridge entry. We followed tracks in the snow and entered the bridge from the side, stepping over a large gap dizzy.gif.
Hey dad, how we gonna get down there?
Hey dad, how we gonna get down there?
Denny Creek Bridge (on the return trip)
Denny Creek Bridge (on the return trip)
After crossing the bridge, we followed the creek up to Keekwulee Falls. Along the way we met mbgriffi and his buddy coming back from Hemlock Pass who recommended we stay to the right of the upper waterfall cascade as you climb the final slope to Hemlock Pass. After some shutter delay at Keekwulee, we continued along the creek to upper Denny Creek basin.
Keekwulee Falls
Keekwulee Falls
Upper Denny Creek Valley
Upper Denny Creek Valley
The basin was full of snow so we didn't need to worry about finding the small third bridge over the creek. We just crossed the frozen stream when it was time to head up the slope on the other side. As we were climbing up the hillside towards Hemlock Pass, we came to a small run-off creek with a cascade above us. The boot path in the snow crossed over the creek so that is what we did. We followed the snow prints until we came to an exposed, rocky cliff face. It was then that we remembered mbgriffi telling us to stay right of the waterfall doh.gif . Instead of backtracking, we free climbed about 20 feet and then made our way back over to where we should have been.
Hey guys, it's not so bad, follow me!
Hey guys, it's not so bad, follow me!
Next we went up and over Hemlock Pass and down to Melakwa Lake. The lake was still frozen solid with small patches of open water at the outlet stream. As we were soaking in the views, we noticed ski tracks on the hillside across from us, dropping over the Bryant Col. Sky was staying mostly clear, with just a few clouds spread thru the deep blue sky.
View up to Melakwa Pass from outlet stream
View up to Melakwa Pass from outlet stream
Melakwa Lake Arrival
Melakwa Lake Arrival
After a breather and snack at the "campsite" by the outlet stream, we started climbing the ridgeline left of the lakes. The going was a fairly standard uphill slog except for about a 200' section in the middle of a 60-70 degree slope that required kick steps eek.gif . Once out of the trees, open slopes with decent snow extended high to Point 5700 south of the summit ("South Kaleetan"?).
A ladder to heaven
A ladder to heaven
On point to the summit
On point to the summit
K9 4WD
K9 4WD
Eventually, we rose over a small cornice just below Point 5700 and we could finally see the Kaleetan summit staring us in the face.
Cloudship Armada
Cloudship Armada
So close yet so far
So close yet so far
Blue Steel to Kaleetan
Blue Steel to Kaleetan
To avoid the rock bands along the ridgeline, we descended 300' feet down the west side of the ridge and then sidehill traversed under the cliff bands. The sun was really starting to beat down on us by this point and we took another short break on some snow-free rocks 800' below the summit. From here, we could see a couple of ski tracks carving turns down from the summit to the top of the Melawka gully route.
I'll take the lead now that it's flat!
I'll take the lead now that it's flat!
Traversing under the cliff bands
Traversing under the cliff bands
Digging for snacks
Digging for snacks
From there, it was kick steps pretty much straight up until the summit. The snow was perfect: soft enough on top to sink in and harder beneath to set the foothold with very few icy patches. The final blessing was the previously made kick steps by the skiers that we used for the final 100' climb in the snow chute between the rocks (I don't know why they tried to ski over the top of such beautiful kick steps winksmile.gif ).
Kiefer and Chair Peak
Kiefer and Chair Peak
Kickin' To Kaleetan
Kickin' To Kaleetan
Summit Ahead
Summit Ahead
Kickin' up the final snow chute
Kickin' up the final snow chute
Scrabble to the top
Scrabble to the top
Almost there!
Almost there!
The summit was snow free, and we spent a half hour taking pictures, enjoying the scenery, and basking in the sun. Glacier Peak to the northeast and Mount Stuart to the east especially stood out. Snow was on all the peaks around us and every one of the lakes we could see were solid sheets of white. We signed the Mountaineer's register (a new one that only went back to last September) and noticed the names of fellow NWHikers SlowWalker and Tom_Sjolseth as well as yukon222 from when he did this climb last fall. The mystery skiers had been a foursome that had been up only hours before us but we never did see them paranoid.gif .
Summit Hounds
Summit Hounds
Clicks and Register
Clicks and Register
Looking south (Point 5700 and Bryant Peak)
Looking south (Point 5700 and Bryant Peak)
Mount Stuart with the Four Brothers in front
Mount Stuart with the Four Brothers in front
Hinman and Daniel
Hinman and Daniel
Rowena appreciates the views
Rowena appreciates the views
Eventually it was time to go. We down climbed the first 150' or so from the summit until we were on the broad snow field and headed over to the break in the ridgeline that leads to the Melakwa Pass route. We could tell where the skiers had come through, but after Yukon stuck his head over the lip and looked down, shakehead.gif we decided to retrace our steps.
Downclimbing from the summit
Downclimbing from the summit
Heading back along the ridge
Heading back along the ridge
As we were climbing back up the 300' of counter-elevation to “South Kaleetan” in the baking sun, Dude noticed the temp on the alcohol thermometer attached to his pack read 99 degrees (mostly cloudy with 50% chance of rain my @ss rant.gif )! No wonder we were all feeling fried. To counter act the heat, we decided to do two glissade runs from the crest of Point 5700 down to the steep climb described earlier. We all had frozen derrieres at the end but the fun was well worth it biggrin.gif .
Falling behind
Falling behind
Way above Melakwa
Way above Melakwa
We down climbed the "scary steep part" without incident even though the whippets tried their best to knock Babe off the mountain (they got scared and tried to "hide" under Mom's legs while she was on the slope hairy.gif ).
Over the lip to the "scary steep part"
Kickin in hard
Kickin in hard
We then cruised past Melakwa Lake, Hemlock Pass, and the Upper Denny Creek basin (this time remembering to pass southeast/right of the waterfall cascade). Then, it was a march through the snow and trees, over and under bridges to the trailhead, plus the final mile road walk, and then, finally, the car. We were very tired, wet, and hungry but had the satisfaction of knowing we had completed a difficult yet rewarding hike with a total elevation gain of 5863' dance.gif ! We wondered what would be in store for us the next day?
Chair Peak above Melakwa
Chair Peak above Melakwa
Past Hemlock Pass and down to Denny Creek
Past Hemlock Pass and down to Denny Creek
Cooling off
Cooling off
That was fun!
That was fun!
Getting off the bridge
Getting off the bridge
Sunset colors through the trees
Sunset colors through the trees
Link to full flickr set

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostTue May 27, 2008 10:58 pm 
Sweet trip, dudes! Kaleetan is one of my favorite close-to-Seattle peaks to climb, and this looks like a great time of year to do it. No bugs and good snow walking in the basins. Right on.

yukon222

yukon222
PostTue May 27, 2008 10:59 pm 
Long day but worth it. The weather forecast was completely wrong as all the moisture and most of the clouds stayed well east of the Crest. So fun to see this area snow-covered instead of the typical summer or late fall conditions.
Wonder if the parking fines are per day?
Wonder if the parking fines are per day?
Dude walking the edge
Dude walking the edge
Rowena & Melawka Lake
Rowena & Melawka Lake
Birth of the lake
Birth of the lake
Rowena knows the way!
Rowena knows the way!
Melawka Lake starting to thaw
Melawka Lake starting to thaw
Virgin snow and sky
Virgin snow and sky
Kaleetan summit in the distance
Kaleetan summit in the distance
Melakwa Lake far below
Melakwa Lake far below
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Light of Kaleetan
Light of Kaleetan
Dude eyeing the traverse
Dude eyeing the traverse
Whippets trailgating
Whippets trailgating
Looking back at traverse
Looking back at traverse
Wild country
Wild country
Dude aiming for the summit slot
Dude aiming for the summit slot
mega pano
mega pano
Delicate maneuvers on summit
Delicate maneuvers on summit
Big Snow Mountain
Big Snow Mountain
Looking way down on traverse
Looking way down on traverse
Tired Rowena on summit
Tired Rowena on summit
Team Schmidt
Team Schmidt
Scorching hot hill
Scorching hot hill
Leaving Kaleetan
Leaving Kaleetan
Pt 5700'
Pt 5700'
Schmidt Altitude and Kaleetan
Schmidt Altitude and Kaleetan
Melawka Lake from Pt 5700'
Melawka Lake from Pt 5700'
Babe downclimbing Pt 5700'
Babe downclimbing Pt 5700'
End of the 1st glissade
End of the 1st glissade
'Babe and Kiefer having fun
'Babe and Kiefer having fun
'Babe downclimbing near Melawka Lake
'Babe downclimbing near Melawka Lake
fading evening light on Melawka Lake
fading evening light on Melawka Lake
Dude's controversial aerodynamic glissade technique!
Dude's controversial aerodynamic glissade technique!
climbing Pt 5700' pano
climbing Pt 5700' pano
oh no, another pano!
oh no, another pano!
Chair Peak & Bryant pano
Chair Peak & Bryant pano
mystery pano!
mystery pano!
Mt Stuart pano
Mt Stuart pano

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostTue May 27, 2008 11:02 pm 
Man alive...every trip report you post is such a treat! Great photos, too! Whippet question: have you had any problems with their paw pads on snow? We've never taken Bobs out on any snow trips (except for regular walks) because we didn't think his paws could handle it, but seeing these buff whippets brave the snow so often makes me want to give it a shot.

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostTue May 27, 2008 11:13 pm 
I couldn't resist adding one last "action shot" of Babe
Denny Creek Bridge dismount
Denny Creek Bridge dismount
smultringunn: They are fine on soft snow but hard icey snow can cut them up. We tried booties but they never stay on their narrow feet. A layer of vasoline on the pads and between the toes seems to help. We don't do overnights in the snow with them because they just get too cold.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostTue May 27, 2008 11:20 pm 
Thanks - we'll have to try the vaseline trick! We bought booties for Bobby but he really doesn't know how to walk with them...

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed May 28, 2008 5:12 am 
Just wanted to say one of the things I really enjoy about your TR's are the "action" shots - it really gives a feel for the trip and route. Keep 'em coming!

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostWed May 28, 2008 8:18 am 
'Katchy' title. smile.gif Another fine report and great trip for some of us to dream on...
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
We down climbed the "scary steep part" without incident even though the whippets tried their best to knock Babe off the mountain (they got scared and tried to "hide" under Mom's legs while she was on the slope hairy.gif ).
Kickin in hard
Kickin in hard
"Scary, steep part". Indeed. Maybe I won't be dreaming of this part. shakehead.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed May 28, 2008 8:28 am 
Beautiful pictures you guys. What an awesome peak Kaleetan is, almost always in sight when driving down I-90, offers nice reminders for me of the first trip that really scared the crap out of me a few years ago.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 28, 2008 8:36 am 
Very nice, probably the best time of the year to be there !

Living in the Anthropocene
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostWed May 28, 2008 8:57 am 
Nice work you guys! And much sunnier weather than what I had on the coast. biggrin.gif Too bad about that car (or is that a truck?)...wonder if it'll start up...

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 28, 2008 9:05 am 
That's an extra cab Ford Ranger. Yes yet another in the analogs of the Alti quartet. Nice work again you guys.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostWed May 28, 2008 9:08 am 
What I want to know is when you even have time for hiking? When I start taking photos, I end up averaging 1 mph! I think your "dayhikes" are even epics!

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostWed May 28, 2008 9:13 am 
Wow, you know your snow-covered trucks, BPJ. I'm impressed...unless it's your rig. wink.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostWed May 28, 2008 9:26 am 
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
We signed the Mountaineer's register (a new one that only went back to last September) and noticed the names of fellow NWHikers SlowWalker and Tom_Sjolseth as well as yukon222 from when he did this climb last fall.
wave.gif Good trip! Did you get a good look at the north side of Melakwa Pass? Big cornice? Did you see any tracks coming or going northerly?