Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > My Rant
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 29, 2015 7:08 pm 
I just switched ISPs and had to set up a new email account. had to go through my old email inbox and copy-and-paste all the addresses and advise everybody of the new email addy. so I figured I'd check my OLD old email account too, just to cover all the bases. and what do I find in the inbox in my OLD old email account? two emails from Karen Sykes. send dates of April 2015 both from the same *.au domain there are some bastards who just can't seem to stoop low enough to spam you.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Jun 01, 2015 3:47 pm 
The stinky smell of the Pug dog in my office is making my eyes water. gag.gif gag.gif gag.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 5:58 am 
Cigarette butts are still litter. I look forward to seeing you filth flickers on my Cath Lab table😡

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 7:45 am 
Seattle drivers that complain about tolls and traffic, can't merge competently and are completely befuddled by roundabouts and don't appreciate how short and simple commuting in the Seattle metro really is.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 10:56 am 
Roundabouts. Tolls on roads we already pay fuel taxes for. Not requiring plates and fees for adults on bicycles Leggings are not pants.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 12:29 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Not requiring plates and fees for adults on bicycles
Umm, this adult pays license fees for TWO vehicles and ONE trailer already. Since I can't drive both at once, I think I'm entitled to ride a bike with no fee required. Also, when I purchase an E-bike, I'll be paying a hefty sales tax Why not outlaw studded tires instead?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 3:03 pm 
Fuel taxes are for fueled vehicle infrastructure, not the added waste and expense of bike lanes, signage, etc. Even if you can only drive one rig at once...you're using the road your fuel tax paid to build. I know it's not perfect, I'd prefer fuel taxes cover 100% of road infrastructure for vehicles, and nothing else. Studded tires are a part of road usage in the winter with said vehicle. I'm even OK with fuel taxes scaled by region, so Seattle users didn't pay for as much stud damage but dry siders don't pay for floating bridges. I know, many folks don't need studs. But those who do, need 'em. Last winter had many many days of ice rink roads inches deep with hard frozen ice storm ice, and you need every bit of help you can get on the canyon roads no matter your speed.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 3:31 pm 
Why should I pay fees for bike riding when there are zero bike lanes or facilities for bikes here? We managed to drive without studded tires just fine for decades. That was even in the days of rear drive cars, on the cold side of the mountains. Why can't we drive without them now, with all wheel and front wheel drive, plus deicer? Perhaps there has been a decline in driving skills?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 5:01 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Fuel taxes are for fueled vehicle infrastructure, not the added waste and expense of bike lanes
Actually almost all the funding for local roads and bike lanes in cities comes from property taxes, not fuel taxes. Fuel taxes mostly pay for highways and there is a pretty good correlation between vehicle weight and road fuel consumtion and roadway wear and tear, so the correlation between the wear on roads and the fuel consumed by bicycles is pretty good. Another rant drivers that feel entitled to never have steer or brake to avoid other road users. They think they should have the road to themselves and be able drive 10 over and assume that all other vehicles on the road are also traveling 10 over as well so they can lull into highway stupor and not hit anything.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 7:12 pm 
Where are these fabled bike lanes? biggrin.gif I have a choice of county road with no shoulders where many people exceed the speed limit, especially in the straight aways, or deadly highway 12, with wide shoulders and idiot drivers who run cars off onto the shoulders, never mind a little bike. I believe this came up before when a legislator was proposing bike fees to pay for the bike lanes but then it was pointed out that bike lanes do not exist in many parts of the state.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 8:48 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Where are these fabled bike lanes?
There sure aren't any in Lyle,WA Sounds like another "government should only spend money on projects that benefit me" rant. There a numerous bike lanes in Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond, etc -- but these are paid for by the cities using property taxes (and city income tax) Neither of which will take a penny from someone living in a rural town like Lyle.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 04, 2017 8:53 pm 
I wasn't aware making an argument was a rant, but then I need to take into account who is responding and their tendencies. First hit on googling WA state spending on bike lanes
Quote:
Instead of a compromise to meet in the middle, biking and walking investments actually grew by $86 million to $320 million in the final negotiated agreement. That’s right, our numbers grew. Biking and Safe Routes to School projects investments at the state level now will retain a stable base of funding of nearly $40 million per biennium for the next 16 years.
That spending takes a penny from people living in places like Lyle, doesn't it. rolleyes.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 4:38 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
I wasn't aware making an argument was a rant, but then I need to take into account who is responding and their tendencies. First hit on googling WA state spending on bike lanes
Quote:
Instead of a compromise to meet in the middle, biking and walking investments actually grew by $86 million to $320 million in the final negotiated agreement. That’s right, our numbers grew. Biking and Safe Routes to School projects investments at the state level now will retain a stable base of funding of nearly $40 million per biennium for the next 16 years.
That spending takes a penny from people living in places like Lyle, doesn't it. rolleyes.gif
This is a rant thread... Your rant was about fuel taxes. Not general fund expenditures. King county and other urban counties in the state are net exporters of general fund tax revenues to rural counties like Klickitat. Your roads would be in worse shape without all the money your county gets from Latte sipping, bike riding Seattle dwellers. Klickatat county's property tax rate is 0.781% vs King county's rate of 1.025% and King county's median house value is double that of Klickitat, whom is subsidizing whom?

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 8:03 am 
My rant: People always seem to choose the complex, expensive, privacy destroying and difficult to administer tax proposals in lieu of the simple. Look at the idiots at the DOT with their privacy destroying, difficult & expensive to administer proposals for GPS monitors instead of the current simple and cheap to administer per mile tax system we have (aka the gas tax). In re taxing bikers to pay for bike infrastructure: license plates, etc aren't going to happen. Good luck getting any kind of compliance, plus you'll pester the sh*t out of people needlessly. How to extract taxes from bike riders without inconveniencing them? Simple. Excise tax on new bike sales, excise tax on bike tire sales, excise tax on bike tube sales. Divide state into 6 regions (King County is its own, Snohomish Co, North of Sno Co to Canada, Pierce Co, rest of Western Wa, all of Eastern Wa) where taxes collected in that region fund projects in that region.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 05, 2017 9:08 am 
Token Civilian wrote:
Divide state into 6 regions (King County is its own, Snohomish Co, North of Sno Co to Canada, Pierce Co, rest of Western Wa, all of Eastern Wa) where taxes collected in that region fund projects in that region.
The problem with such scheme is that the regions are interconnected and interdependent. For example the current big I-90 improvement project between Hyak and Easton. No way would revenue collected in Kittitas county pay for those improvements and the economic benefit is mostly to King County. So it makes sense for King County to export tax dollars to other regions of the state. Seems rural residents have the perception that their tax dollars are going to fund projects within Seattle, however in practice the money is flowing out from the urban areas to the rural. Periodically people have proposed splitting King and Snohomish counties up (roughly along the urban / rural boundary set under the growth management act) But when a financial analysis is run they find that property tax rates in the new rural county would need to go up to fund police, fire and road maintenance, etc at that same level. And the proposals never gain much support. Same think with the propasal to split the state along the "Cascade Curtain"