Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB: Swept Away On Annette Lake, 06/05/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Yet

Yet
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 12:33 am 
TNAB: Swept Away On Annette Lake! by Yet, guest TR writer Rain? Snow? Annette Lake? And why are we hiking again? "Because it’s Thursday night, that’s why!" Although Mark and I began to wonder if we were the only ones who felt this way when we got to the Eastgate parking lot and nobody else was there. (sniff) Thankfully, Malachai Constant (Don) showed up and saved us from feeling all silly and stuff.
Malachai
Malachai
The three of us carpooled to the trailhead, where four more hydrophilic hikers were waiting. Hurray! They were Moosefish (John with sweet canine Tokul), Magnum (Chris), and the Lykkens.
Trailhead
Trailhead
Welcome to TNAB, Lykkens! up.gif
The Lykkens
The Lykkens
Larry and Digger were already on their way up, per usual. 6 pm, time to get moving!
:P
:P
The hike started up on a relatively snow-free trail. Patches of snow started to appear here and there, and when the snow was really getting serious, Mark and I heard something behind us. Is it .... A phantom? A banshee? A bear? It’s Cubbie! And Peggy running up the trail. Silly woman. wink.gif After a little chit-chat, Mark and I bid her adieu as she continued on her little “jog.” Cubbie at first tried to stay with me, but apparently I was holding her back so she caught up to her mommy. embarassedlaugh.gif It was a sweet thought, anyway. Thanks, Cubbie. smile.gif During the rainy travel on the snowy trail, Mark and I met two hikers who were turning back to the trailhead. At some point right before we reached the first gully, we must have switched from following the group’s tracks to a different set of tracks, probably those of the two hikers we met. Then suddenly, there were no tracks! Hmmm ... Mark left me at a relatively benign spot while he went down the gully to see if he could see tracks. Nope. He went up to see if he could see tracks there. Nope. Thankfully, he came back to where I was before my feet were permanently frozen. We’d been hiking for 1 hour and 40 minutes at this time, it was cold and wet, and we'd lost the group's tracks. Mark’s executive decision was to turn around. No arguments from me. He’s the boss. wink.gif One nice thing about hiking along the I-90 corridor is the cell reception. We gave Larry a ring to let the group know what we were doing so they didn’t have to worry about us. The hike back was relatively uneventful. We did run into another hiker on the way out, but that's about it. Oh, and it was raining. Small detail. wink.gif Mark and I were back at the trailhead at 9:10. We didn’t need our headlamps tonight! We were cold, we were wet, and we were eager to get in the car with the heater cranked up. An hour later, a very wet Cubbie and an equally wet Peggy came dripping out of the trailhead. Followed by the rest of the wet group soon after. I think even BPJ and Toonces would agree that this was indeed a wet hike. Some trail info: 7 miles RT, 1700 ft gain. Still lots of snow to the lake. Traction devices/poles very helpful. Ice axe advisable. Trail hard to follow after the gully. Attendance summary (9 wet hikers, 5 wet canines): Don, Chris, The Lykkens, John & Tokul, Larry & Digger, Peggy & Cubbie, Yet & Mark Looking forward to stories from the rest of the gang. Thank you all for being out there with us tonight. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 12:47 am 
Glad you guys still managed to have fun in the rain! Yet, I'm not surprised you heard Cubbie coming long before you saw her. embarassedlaugh.gif hockeygrin.gif Hopefully see you TNABers next week...and under better weather conditions!

gone

gone
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 1:04 am 
Great report, Yet! up.gif Wish I could have made it. Too much work, though, and a bit of a cold settling in too (sore throat, anyway). Glad everyone's safe. Can't wait to see all the pics! Hope to see you next week!

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 1:10 am 
DSCN6293.JPG Still smiling at 10:30pm
DSCN6293.JPG Still smiling at 10:30pm
'This must be some crazy thing I got myself into on the internet' I kept thinking as I searched my pack for a snorkel. We weren't originally thrilled about the weather, but we quickly forgot about it and enjoyed the company and the outdoors work out. Thanks Yet for the great write up and Mark for including us. ~Jo Thumbs up to Larry for his calm trail logic and to John for his functioning GPS, also thanks to everyone else for their trail chat and commitment to hiking in the rain!

Yet

Yet
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 1:15 am 
the lykkens wrote:
'It must be some crazy thing I got myself into on the internet' I kept thinking as I searched my pack for a snorkel.
How funny! I was telling Mark while we were waiting for you all (nice, warm, and dry in the car) that we should have had some of my seaweed-flavored rice crackers earlier as they would have helped up grow some gills for all that wet stuff coming down from the sky. embarassedlaugh.gif Josie, we have the same headlamp. Sweet! Tish, missed you tonight. smile.gif ewb, thanks! Glad you liked the writeup. smile.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 1:19 am 
Yet wrote:
hydrophilic hikers
That's got to be an SAT word, nice verbiage!

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 1:34 am 
Yet, missed you more. winksmile.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 7:07 am 
Turning around on Annette lake just reminded me of in a past life (mid - late 80's) thinking this would be just an easy after work hike in early June. I mean after all it was in the hiking books and only like 6 miles round trip. I mean I had been doing Si after work, from a difficulty level longer/more elevation gain. Paint me green and stupid.... I wasn't prepaired for anything other than a walk up a snow free trail. Of course they didn't really have hiking poles and Yak Trax then. I didn't bring an ice axe either and didn't own crampons. It was all pretty benign until I got to one gully that still had snow in it. Hard snow, not a good path through it. I got about halfway out on it and got cold feet (in more ways than one). Could see if I slipped I'd slide a ways and probably hit some trees, at least break something and likely be stuck there a while since it was getting late on a weekday and cell phones? Not back then... Saw no one else up there (I began to realize why). I basically crawled back to firm ground and was glad to be off the icy slope.

slood
Daffy Hiker

slood
Daffy Hiker
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 7:16 am 
Yet wrote:
The hike back was relatively uneventful. We did run into another hiker on the way out, but that's about it.
That was me. Nice to run into y'all. (Especially since I'd missed a switchback on the way out, and seeing you on the slope below let me get back on the trail without having to backtrack. smile.gif ) Cheers, slood

Yet

Yet
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 7:23 am 
Slood, so that was you! We ran into you on Bandera last year as well. smile.gif

slood
Daffy Hiker

slood
Daffy Hiker
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 7:44 am 
Yet wrote:
Slood, so that was you! We ran into you on Bandera last year as well. smile.gif
Yup. I recall that you were amused at being known as "The Brownie Lady". lol.gif Coincidently, Bandera is where my group will be hiking next Thursday. (The two guys you passed on their way out were in my group. Not many folks want to hike on snow in the rain. TNABers seem to be the exception.)

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 8:19 am 
Glad you guys got out despite the rain! Did I sleep through spring and summer or something? It's like fall out there! So depressing! Hoping to make it back to TNAB next week...been too long away from all the crazy TNABers! biggrin.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 8:19 am 
Sorry I missed this one. Too many things on the schedule this week. Likely to be there next week though. Rain, snow, sleet nor the dead of night will keep the woods safe from at least a few TNAB'ers. lol.gif

drewcoll

drewcoll
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 1:03 pm 
I tried to make it, but ended up at eastgate at 6. dizzy.gif The plan to be there at 5 fell out... Instead my friend and I went to Little Si since I'd never been there. It was wet, and muddy, but at least we were under the clouds instead of in them. I miss the dark nights on the trail! Next week! agree.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 3:25 pm 
Yet, Glad to hear you were able to squeeze in another hike with your busy schedule. up.gif up.gif biggrin.gif Do you have the summer off?

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel