Forum Index > Trip Reports > Upper Dungeness Trail to broken bridge 06-05-08 (Olympics)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 7:07 am 
Inspired by Schmidt Alti-dude and babe, took off from the office and reached the Dungeness TH at 7PM, hoping to beat both the incoming nasty weather and the darkness. No other cars at the TH lot, and the last sign-in on the trail register was a couple days before. Goal was to check out the collapsed log bridge across the Dungeness a half mile downstream from Camp Handy, scout out an alternative crossing, and get some cardio in before another onslaught of winter shut down the mountains. At the TH, there's a sign that pretty much promises replacement of the collapsed bridge during 2008:
Notice at TH signboard
Notice at TH signboard
However, I had called the Quilcene Ranger Station earlier in the day and the woman I spoke with said replacement during 2008 is now looking less likely. rant.gif Thus the scouting for alternatives. Had hoped the usual Sequim magic would kick in and provide rainshadow blue skies for my evening jaunt, but while there was sunshine near the SR 104/101 junction, the skies were gray by the time I turned off 101 onto Louella, and heavy rain was falling as I picked my way through the potholes on FR 2870. At the TH, though, the rain subsided, and I got a very pleasant walk through the moss-covered terrain between the TH and the bridge across Royal Creek.
~3/4 mile from TH
~3/4 mile from TH
Log bridge across Royal Creek
Log bridge across Royal Creek
After crossing Royal Creek and ascending the Dungeness trail, stopped at Fern Rock for some photos:
Dungeness at Fern Rock
Dungeness at Fern Rock
Down river
Down river
About an hour out from the TH, reached the remains of the collapsed log bridge across the Dungeness, and it's looking worse than ever.
collapsed bridge 1/2 mile below Camp Handy
collapsed bridge 1/2 mile below Camp Handy
zero bridge deck traction
zero bridge deck traction
From west bank
From west bank
Whitewater over remains of log bridge
Whitewater over remains of log bridge
The river is running high and fast, and this was on a very cool day without benefit of runoff from melting of the massive amounts of snow still present in the upper Dungeness drainage. There is no way I would attempt the collapsed log bridge now, and fording the river at the horse crossing is very much out of the question.
Dungeness near horse crossing
Dungeness near horse crossing
Dungeness just upstream from horse crossing
Dungeness just upstream from horse crossing
Did not go upriver to scout out log crossings, but I had noticed a trusty log is still present about a quarter mile downriver from the collapsed bridge. It spans the river from flat bottomland that contains the remains of an old trail where the present trail has been routed higher up on the sidehill. However, this log crossing is complicated by a very slick surface when wet, as it was when I was there. You definitely would not want to fall off of this log crossing into the whitewater below.
Log across Dungeness  ~1/4 downstream of collapsed bridge
Log across Dungeness ~1/4 downstream of collapsed bridge
Don't fall here
Don't fall here
Dicey crossing
Dicey crossing
Made it back to the 4Runner around 9:15 in the gathering dark and faced a new challenge. Very thick clouds had settled over the mountains, cutting visibility to less than 100 feet all too often. It was dark enough that I needed my lights to see, but the light scatter off the fog further reduced visibility. FR 2870 is a serpentine road for too many miles from the Baldy spur road intersection toward Three O'Clock Ridge, and there are many sharp, deep dropoffs from the road edge. To complicate matters a bit more, the darkness, dense fog and moist road surface made it very difficult to see the many water-filled potholes until I was right on them. I proceeded in a tedious crawl, with pothole water splashing into the headlight glare, trying to keep the downhill road edge in sight. The fog dissipated once I reached Dungeness Forks, but appeared again in even denser form once I reached Palo Alto Road, down which I proceeded at 25 MPH compared to the posted 50 MPH. Needless to say, I got home way past my bedtime.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sequimjack

sequimjack
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 8:11 am 
Great report . . . looks bad for awhile

mtngrl

mtngrl
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 8:11 am 
Bummer! But, thanks for the info and pictures. That log a quarter mile below the bridge looks somewhat hopeful though, at least once the water levels decrease.

reststep

reststep
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 3:07 pm 
Thanks for checking that out Ancient Ambler. I hope to check out your route to Deception Basin sometime.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 3:21 pm 
Great RTD (Race the Darkness) AA.
Ancient Ambler wrote:
Had hoped the usual Sequim magic would kick in and provide rainshadow blue skies for my evening jaunt
We've had many a sunny day in Sequim only to see the plops of rain hit our windshield as we drove up Palo Alto Road to the Don Schmith Valley. I guess the rain shadow doesn't extend that far.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostFri Jun 06, 2008 4:07 pm 
Thanks for the info, AA. Glad you made it out safe albeit late. up.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel