Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mailbox Peak Trailhead to Starbucks Loop 12 June 2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
northbynorthwest

northbynorthwest
PostTue Jun 10, 2008 1:13 pm 
rant.gif Today I set out with resolve to climb Mailbox weather be damned. Had the pack loaded and raingear ready. Had some 'mail' to leave up there. After all, the mailman delivers rain or shine. It was a disheartening drive up the 90 and over to the trailhead. I got out of the car with my pack, still feeling like I could do it. My dog was quickly soaked and gave me a somewhat woeful look...like...'dad what are we doing here???' I took out my new GPS unit, which I had loaded with waypoints from TNABS great GPS routes to make my way up the peak. I could envision the orange marks on trees, boulder fields, and mushy snow. I had my crampons and ice axe even. I had food and even a thermos of hot tea. What I lacked I guess was true resolve. After just ten minutes I decided to head back and call it quits. I'm sure it would have been doable...maybe even fun...but my resolve feel through. I got in the car and drove west on the 90. Finally I stopped at Starbucks, and as I sat drinking the loathsome beverage I stared out the window....defeated. I could imagine all the hikes I was hoping to do...Bandera, Granite, Mailbox....covered in slushy snow. It was not a pretty thought. I was delighted when it was snowing in Jan. Skiing was great in Feb and March too! A late season at Leavenworth was nice. It was interesting to hike up Si in crampons after 3k feet a while back. It was better when the snow was melting out. But now its back confused.gif rant.gif huh.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Jun 10, 2008 1:27 pm 
headrub.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
gone

gone
PostTue Jun 10, 2008 2:23 pm 
I feel your pain. frown.gif I think unless you're really hardcore, it takes a considerable (and sometimes nearly insurmountable) amount of resolve to get on and then get up the trails in this weather. I haven't turned around on one yet after getting started, but I have talked myself out of even going a couple of times. I find it helps to go with someone, as it adds a certain misery-loves-company aspect to it, as well as some motivation-via-competition, even if only mildly. Hang in there! agree.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jun 10, 2008 2:30 pm 
Mmmmmmmmm....hot caramel latte makes defeat not so bitter lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Karen

Karen
PostTue Jun 10, 2008 3:00 pm 
I led a Mountaineer hike once (supposed to be Monogram Lake) and it was raining so hard when we got to Marblemount that we went and had breakfast instead. None of us felt guilty. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu

Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu
PostTue Jun 10, 2008 3:35 pm 
Just think of it as the first leg of a mailbox peak section hike... or reconnaissance for your "real" mailbox trip later in the year. We've all called a trip at one time or another. Maybe that should be a thread... "What's the best hike you've planned but didn't complete?"

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Jun 10, 2008 3:39 pm 
Hey this weekend it will be sunny. up.gif up.gif Besides if you are going to hurt your knees and put yourself through all that pain, you want to at least have somewhat of a view (unlike me last year who waited on the summit for a view only to get chased down by rain down.gif down.gif down.gif ).

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jun 10, 2008 3:40 pm 
Fuu wrote:
Maybe that should be a thread... "What's the best hike you've planned but didn't complete?"
That'd be this weekend lol.gif https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7967385 After 9 miles or so of side hilling snow and trees and a number of miles road walking.....yeah it was a good choice to bail. The weather yesterday made me glad we DID bail! It would have been awful.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
touron

touron
PostTue Jun 10, 2008 4:32 pm 
While it's true the mailman always delivers, sometimes the mail ends up in the wrong box. Usually it is the box next door belonging to the Nemesis family. Nemesis are related to trolls, and have a large extended family with abodes in various wilderness locales, sometimes close to trailheads, sometimes within a mile or so of a lake or summit, esconced in front of a thick patch of devils club or an endless sea of alder and vine maple. At times one of their dwellings will magically appear out of a driving rain or snowstorm. Sometimes you will start a hike, then bump into a Nemesis who then strikes up a long conversation, and before you know it the day is shot, and you have to turn around short of accomplishing what you set out to do. There is no way to politely extricate yourself from one of these run-ins. The Nemisis will wave goodbye and holler "Hope I didn't distract you from your journey! Y'all come back when you have more time!"

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Jun 10, 2008 5:08 pm 
Definitely a good effort given the weather. up.gif Hope you got something hot to drink afterwards. Earlier in the year I snowshoed up Keechelus ridge in cold, snowy/rainy weather and we all went to that Starbucks afterwards. Being the master of coffee shop lingo I ordered a "blended" drink - not realizing blended meant cold, with ice. hmmm.gif

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Jun 10, 2008 6:37 pm 
EastKing wrote:
Besides if you are going to hurt your knees and put yourself through all that pain, you want to at least have somewhat of a view
Unlike what a friend & I did in Oct. 2004 - continued on up to the summit in whiteout conditions: embarassedlaugh.gif
BC says "Brrrr it's cold!  & I can't see shyte!"
BC says "Brrrr it's cold! & I can't see shyte!"

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 1:07 pm 
Bandera
Bandera's actually not all that bad right now. Small patches of snow here and there but otherwise dry as a bone.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 6:01 pm 
Hmmmm.. Funny as I was thinking of heading up and trying Mailbox tomorrow morning thinking though about what Eastking said.. All that torture must leave some reward....

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 4:28 pm 
No Reward
I went up Saturday and the summit was all fogged in. No reward but the satisfaction of having made it through all that mud!