Forum Index > Trip Reports > Colchuck Peak; 06/07/08 (Goat video added)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Jun 08, 2008 9:45 pm 
Scott and I had been talking for a while about making a trip up Colchuck Peak while there was still adequate snow cover on the Colchuck Glacier route. Over dinner Monday night we decided that the coming Saturday would be good. Unfortunately, by Thursday night the weather forecast called for 1 to 2 feet of snow in the area Friday through Saturday morning frown.gif so Friday morning we decided to call the trip off. I got home from work Friday afternoon and checked the weather forecast again. Strangely enough, the forecast had improved enough to prompt me to call Scott, and the trip was back on. We packed up and headed to Leavenworth that evening. The trip started out on an auspicious note when we arrived in Leavenworth and stopped at Uli's for a beer. The bartender told us that she had made last call 10 minutes earlier bawl.gif Perhaps Scott's youthful good looks convinced her to allow us one beer each cheers.gif drink.gif We had our beers and {Yada, yada, yada...} We arrived at the trailhead shortly before 7:00 am to find only a few cars in the lot. A couple parties of two were just starting out.
Getting ready
Getting ready
We started up the trail under mostly cloudy skies. Mountaineer Creek was foaming, so we chose the footbridge rather than crossing on rocks.
We arrived at the Colchuck Lake to find it mostly melted out. Aasgard Pass came into view first, then we laid eyes on our route to Colchuck Col. We saw a group of 5 partway up the route, and a two parties of 2 just in front of us. The route looked good from the lake, but thick clouds were moving in from the north.
Aasgard Pass
Aasgard Pass
Bottom of our route
Bottom of our route
We exchanged trekking poles for ice axes, and started up the route. We passed one party of 2 as they were changing out gear. Partway up the first slope we passed the other party of 2 as they were descending. They said they had run out of gas and decided to call it a day. With today's high prices, I understand why they didn't purchase extra gas beforehand. The clouds from the north were getting closer and we thought that we might be joining them on the descent sooner rather than later. We made it to a flatter spot, and decided to put the crampons on. The next section was actually a little softer than down below, and snow started balling up. As we were contemplating removing them, we hit some firmer snow and decided to leave them on.
Route from the first bench
Route from the first bench
Mt. Cashmere and Colchuck Lake
Mt. Cashmere and Colchuck Lake
As we slowly made our ascent up the glacier, the cloud cover seemed to be decreasing as the wind speed increased. Undaunted by the occasional gust, we continued upward. We encountered 2 of the party of 5 descending. They had turned around partway to the summit from the col. They said the other 3 were still going for the top. We eventually reached the col, and were afforded limited views of the Teanaway area.
Movin' on up
Movin' on up
Colchuck Lake
Colchuck Lake
One going up, one coming down
One going up, one coming down
Teanaway views
Teanaway views
We found a nice break spot that was sheltered from the wind and discussed what to do next. We could see occasional patches of blue sky, but the wind was turning the peak from Colchuck to Coldchuck. As we were eating some food, the other 3 from the party of 5 arrived at our location. They told us there were some areas of soft snow, alternating with areas of firmer snow and icy rock. Sounded fun huh.gif We decided to continue up.
Scott
Scott
Scott starts up the last few hundred feet
Scott starts up the last few hundred feet
Getting closer?
Getting closer?
Past the last steep part!
Past the last steep part!
We were partially sheltered from the wind, and the sky high above us was blue, but all around us was still cloudy. Suddenly the clouds cleared enough and we saw the summit.
The top is in sight!
The top is in sight!
Scott navigating the last bit
Scott navigating the last bit
We arrived at the flat spot just below the top, and ditched our packs for the last 15 feet to the top. Once on top we signed the summit register, stating that we "Couldn't see sh##". Almost as soon as the pen left the paper, we could see sh## doh.gif Not as much as we might have liked, but it was acceptable. Stuart and Sherpa were obscured by clouds, and Rainier was nowhere to be found (I assume it's still there? paranoid.gif ), but much of the Teanaway was visible, along with Dragontail and Argonaut, among others.
Scott almost to the highest point
Scott almost to the highest point
Another summit for Soapy
Another summit for Soapy
Towards the upper Enchantments
Towards the upper Enchantments
Almost Stuart
Almost Stuart
Navaho
Navaho
Earl
Earl
Dragontail
Dragontail
We descended the 15 long feet to our packs, and ate lunch somewhat sheltered from the wind. The 2 women that we passed at the lake arrived at the top. They had some of those nice newer style (to us at least) boots. Maybe I should do this sort of trip more often to justify another footwear purchase hmmm.gif Men's version, of course embarassedlaugh.gif After a few minutes more on top, Scott and I decided to head back. As we were leaving, the views improved even more.
Teanaway
Teanaway
Argonaut
Argonaut
A few seconds later I heard someone whistle at me. At first I was flattered, then reality sunk in as I realized it was this guy (or gal):
Summit marmot
Summit marmot
We followed our slightly southern route variation back to the col. Strong winds almost knocked us off our feet. Luckily the winds weren't nearly as bad a hundred feet lower. Then the glissading began. We made it down to the lake significantly faster than our ascent time. The only down side was that the weather had improved dramatically since the morning. Maybe we should have lingered on top a little longer.
Slip slidin' away
Slip slidin' away
Colchuck Lake
Colchuck Lake
At the lake we took off our gaiters and extra layers of now unnecessary clothing. It was t-shirt weather for a change!
A look back
A look back
Aasgard Pass
Aasgard Pass
Last ice
Last ice
Can you spot the people? (6 total)
2 labels
Can you spot the people? (6 total)
Dragontail and Colchuck Peaks
Dragontail and Colchuck Peaks
Making our way around the lake we encountered many people setting up or searching for camps. It was the last full weekend before permits are required. I even ran into someone Dani used to work with at REI. Then we met a quiet bearded fellow.
He let us pass, and we continued our descent. We enjoyed some last views before getting to the business of getting back to the car.
Last views
Last views
We made a call to Dani and arranged a dinner meeting at Canyon's. Decent food, but the Big beer was the main motivation. drink.gif Sleep came quickly zzz.gif Apparently the trip is ~14 miles with ~5,400 feet of gain. EDIT: Goat video added

Knows literally nothing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jun 08, 2008 9:59 pm 
up.gif That route should be good for awhile yet. Is the snow melted around the boulders going to Asgard yet ?

Living in the Anthropocene
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostSun Jun 08, 2008 10:09 pm 
Sounds like you ran into our advance party of step kickers (Laurie and Heather), but you somehow missed running into our party of 6. How could this happen??!! bawl.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Jun 08, 2008 10:14 pm 
Laurie! That was one of the two on the summit with us! Her camera batteries were dead unfortunately. Either that or I am incompetent with other people's cameras embarassedlaugh.gif Was this your pole stash?
Poles without people?
Poles without people?
You may have been the group of 6 we saw glissading down as we were leaving the lake (in one of my photos). We took a slight variation south off the summit. Scott didn't like being too close to the ridge. I did see some people ascending as we were descending, but we went behind a big rock before I could count how many. I have a hard time counting above two anyway.

Knows literally nothing
Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostSun Jun 08, 2008 10:17 pm 
So this is where you went to without me? At least my mom loves me enough to take me to the dog park and play frisbee.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostSun Jun 08, 2008 10:22 pm 
Yes, that was us glissading in your pic. Thanks for not steeling our poles! There are some that may think it is a little weird that you take pictures of other people's poles. huh.gif clown.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Jun 08, 2008 10:23 pm 
We thought we had found the mother lode of poles to sell on Craigslist, but neither one of us wanted that much extra weight on the way down clown.gif

Knows literally nothing
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jun 08, 2008 10:30 pm 
Nice TR GT. Is it some kind of whacked out club where everyone has the same poles?!? huh.gif

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Jun 09, 2008 8:27 am 
Tom, as dicey said, I don't know how we didn't run into you!? So you were the two mysterious people that were below us in the plateau-ish area when we were running along the ridge...we were wondering what you were doing down there, off the main travel route... Thanks for not stealing our poles. clown.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Jun 09, 2008 8:39 am 
That was us. We were trying to avoid any direct contact with hooligans...I mean we were trying to avoid slick rocks on our descent. clown.gif As for the poles, next time put a 'Donut Steel' sign on them. I only took a photo of them as there were so many of them. I was scared. paranoid.gif

Knows literally nothing
Just Todd
Trowel Owl

Just Todd
Trowel Owl
PostMon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 am 
Man, Colchuck was a busy one this weekend! Our group of 6 will have our trip report up sooner or later - we only have 20,000 photos each to edit beforehand (well, except Dicey who could only muster up 5 or so - she was sick of us techno-shutterbugs endlessly gabbing on about flash cards and video capacity. lol.gif ) They're duplicates of one another, mind you, as we were shoulder to shoulder at every photogenic spot fighting about who had ownership rights over the current panorama in process. vent.gif jab.gif fencing.gif Once we reached the boulders after descending, there was a woman who was REALLY eyeing our poles as she was heading out. She was either confused or had dollar $igns in her eyes too. dizzy.gif Maybe burrying them or leaving them up on the first shelf would be a good way to go next time. I like the "Donut Steel" sign idea though.

Sunset is an all day process.
Just Todd
Trowel Owl

Just Todd
Trowel Owl
PostMon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 am 
Was this your pole stash?
Poles without people?
Poles without people?
Altidude owns the one's with the custom bend. lol.gif

gone

gone
PostMon Jun 09, 2008 9:48 am 
Great effort! The pic "Scott navigating the last bit" really captures, for me anyway, the scale and remoteness of this climb. Nice work! up.gif

Just Todd
Trowel Owl

Just Todd
Trowel Owl
PostMon Jun 09, 2008 9:58 am 
By the way, great going guys! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif Thanks for a great TR and pics!

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Jun 09, 2008 11:03 am 
Nice trip. Looks like Colchuck was the place to be last Saturday.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien