Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rattlesnakes 101, Selway-Bitteroot Wilderness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 6:54 pm 
This Fourth of July I decided to scout out the Selway Crags for possible climbing opportunities. The Selway crags is a remote area in Idaho about 120 miles due east of Lewiston. Because the highest peak, Fenn Mountain, is only 8,000 feet high and there is only limited trail access, the Selway Crags are remote. After I got a late start at 10:30 am, I drove 2 hours and 15 minutes until I reached Lowell, Idaho. I then took Selway Road 17.5 miles until I reached Fog Mountain Road. Fog Mountain road was a definite challenge. As I crept along in my 94 Dodge Spirit, which has approximately 12 inches of clearance, I was wishing I had a big, gas-guzzling truck. I bottomed out in my vehicle four times before I reached the trailhead. Luckily, nothing was damaged except some non-essential stuff on the bottom of my car. Because it had required four hours of driving to reach the trailhead and I was supposed to show up for work at 7am on Thursday, I was looking at about 2 hours of hiking time. I quickly geared up and headed up the unmaintained trail to the summit of Big Fog Mountain. I finally reached the summit of this class 1 peak about one hour later.
Looking toward the Selway Crags
Looking toward the Selway Crags
Looking toward the Selway Crags 2
Looking toward the Selway Crags 2
After playing around on a few lingering snowbanks and filling my water bottles with snow, I began running back to the car. At about 6,600 feet, I heard a sound behind me and I casually looked back. I had just jumped over a diamondback rattler about 2 ˝ to 3 feet long. I quickly whipped out my camera and took a video and several pictures. This was the first time that I had seen a rattlesnake so the photos and video came out blurry because I was so excited. Although the rattlesnake did move to the side of the trail, it showed absolutely no fear of humans, and it appeared to think that I was a big, dumb animal.
Rattlesnake
Rattlesnake
The trip down was uneventful. I ended up scraping bottom 4 more times on Fog Mountain Road. It was an eventful trip to the Selway Crags, and it was definitely worth the 7 ˝ to 8 hours of driving to get there.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 7:02 pm 
How would you feel if somebody pinned you under a rock and then stoned you to death?

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 7:10 pm 
Why did you kill the rattlesnake - did you eat it, or did you just kill it for no reason?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 7:12 pm 
And how would you feel if you had heard that someone had gotten bitten a month later by a rattlesnake on that trail. It is in my freezer awaiting a time when I have time to eat it. I have heard that rattlesnakes taste like chicken. I want to try one once.

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 7:16 pm 
I doubt killing one rattlesnake will make any impact at all on the number of snakes inhabiting the area. I find what you did pretty ridiculous.

Joe

Joe
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 7:21 pm 
And if you hike in rattlesnake country, expect to see rattlesnakes. Hike safely and cautiously, use trekking poles to tap the ground, don't step over logs or rocks until you are sure the other side is safe. Running down a trail in rattlesnake country is not a wise idea.

Joe
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 7:22 pm 
Nice pics, but did you really find in necessary to kill the snake? down.gif

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 7:25 pm 
I can guarantee that I was definitely not afraid of it. I nearly stepped on that the snake. I doubt that it would have hesitated to bite me if I had unintentionally stepped on it. and why does everybody have to bash me all of the time? bawl.gif

Spotly

Spotly
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 7:32 pm 
Don

Don
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 7:43 pm 
Quote:
A rattlesnake can still bite even when it is dead.
Please explain how this is possible.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 7:44 pm 
You're ignorant of backcountry ethics and should probably stay out of the backcountry until you learn about how society has changed the way they behave toward Nature. Even if you don't care about the backcountry enough to absorb what most people have absorbed about stewardship by simply reading and seeing what others do, then if nothing else, you need a trusted and smart freind to proof your trip reports until you can determine what is acceptable behavior in the backcountry and what you should keep to yourself. Some things should never be admitted to. This is one of them.
Jamin Smitchger wrote:
My father has been telling me for years that he used to hunt rattlesnakes. :
Hunting them is different than stoning one to death just because one is nearby. You were in it's home, not vice versa.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 7:50 pm 
Honestly, is hunting snakes really a sport? I mean, all you have to do is get out of your car and walk. Sounds about as challenging as stalking a slug.

much ado about snakes

much ado about snakes
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 8:24 pm 
Well I'm Sammy the snake and I have to confess, I look and I sound just like the leeetter S. SSSSsssssoooooo Looonnng.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 8:39 pm 
Next time just wear crampons when you go to rattlesnake country. That way you can just step right on the rattlesnake to kill it. You see, crampons are really good for tearing through soft tissues, or so I've read, so they will take out that rattlesnake in no time.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 9:02 pm 
A message from Steve: down.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown