Forum Index > Trip Reports > Earl almost (6/14/08)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Jun 15, 2008 10:01 pm 
First I have to say IT IS SO NICE TO SEE TRIP REPORTS! That means we're all finally getting back out again...WAHOOO! party.gif So, on Saturday we headed over to the Teanaway for a good dose of sunshine. I haven't been there for a couple years and I had forgotten how pleasant the hiking is over there. The temperature was perfect and a cool breeze accompanied us all day. We had no specific destination in mind but when we got to Bean basin, Earl looked like it would be fun. I have only done Earl on snow before so the trail looked inviting. From the basin it looked like there was little snow left, which was fine because all we had were trekking poles. Unfortunately, we began to encounter short but steep patches of intermittently hard snow about every 20 feet. As we neared the ridge these patches were steeper and harder and I finally called it quits just shy of the ridge. It was just too much to handle the two dogs (leashed) and I would have preferred having an ice axe. I actually did fall on one of the patches and did an awesome trekking pole arrest. But that was after sliding about 10 feet and stopping in scree. Not fun on bare arms... The view from where we stopped was wonderful though, looking into the Bean Basin and also out to Mt. Rainier. The other highlight of the trip was the flower show. The lilies and Spring beauties (at least that's what I call them) pretty much carpeted the Basin. Just beautiful. I couldn't capture that in a photo but I got some close ups instead. Oh, it was SOOOO nice to be OUT!!! Here are some pics from the trip... If anyone is concerned about the crossing of the Mighty Bean Creek...here it is...
And if Timber can do it... you can too!
From the Bean Basin...
Flowers in the Basin...
This one was kind of interesting..it had 4 flowers on a single stem...
The boys...
Timber crossing the upper Bean Creek (to get over to Earl). He is finally gaining some skill and confidence in the great outdoors!
View for lunch... And on the way out we saw this huge clump of trillium in full bloom...would love to have that in my yard!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 4:47 pm 
Excellent! I was looking for an update on all things snow-related for the basin and your basin pic was perfect. Glad you guys got out...sorry to hear about that slide on scree though. Ouch!

Opinions expressed here are my own.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 7:10 pm 
What a difference a few weeks make! We did not find the downhill end of those logs/branches to be terribly stable with all that water running against/under them...
may2008-in-ze-battle
may2008-in-ze-battle
Nice to see your new hiking partner - another lucky pup!

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 7:13 pm 
Thanks for the info. Your scenery shots show that more snow has melted than I expected.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 9:44 pm 
Joker...looks like you got a little wet! embarassedlaugh.gif The mighty Bean can fool you sometimes!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"