Forum Index > Trip Reports > Elbow Peak and Yellow Hill - 6.12.2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 1:36 pm 
The trail is steep, shared with dirt bikers, and 3 miles of the route are on an old spur road. Sadie's Driver's 10.8.2006 trip report on this forum provides information on finding the parking area (2800') for this trip and her directions are spot-on accurate... the reason I say "parking area" instead of "trailhead" is that two large dirt piles block most people from continuing further on a spur road for 1.5 miles to the trailhead. I took a go at the dirt piles, but stopped and parked when I heard the bottom of my Trooper rubbing the dirt... wanting an oil pan intact at the end of the day took priority in my thinking. The spur road is in excellent condition and made for easy walking to the trailhead (3700'). There is still one to two feet of snow on the east and north sides of Yellow Hill... where I quickly lost the trail at ~5200'... surrounded by trees, I decided to regain my bearings by hiking up to the top of Yellow Hill (5527')... where I found myself still surrounded by trees... walking north 100 yards I found an opening in the trees and could see Elbow Peak about 1.5 miles away. Giving back 350 feet of elevation got me to the snow-free saddle between Yellow and Elbow... where it was an easy hike to the Elbow Peak summit (5673'). Instead of trying to bypass the top of Yellow Hill on my return trip, I decided it best to go back to the top and follow my tracks back to the dirt... wow, Yellow Hill twice on the same day... bet that ties a record held by a large number of people. ~10 miles roundtrip... gaining ~3500 feet of elevation on the way in and ~500 feet of elevation on the return trip... if a person could find a way to get around the two dirt piles in the parking area, they could trim the trip statistics to 7 miles roundtrip, gaining a total of 3100 feet of elevation. Photos of my Elbow Peak and Yellow Hill hike. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Jun 14, 2008 1:27 am 
ragman and rodman wrote:
wow, Yellow Hill twice on the same day... bet that ties a record held by a large number of people.
lol.gif Thanks for the TR. You've convinced me to save this for next winter.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message