Forum Index > Trip Reports > Teanaway Butte - 6.15.2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 11:44 am 
If you are trying to complete the Backcourt 100 List and/or all of the Teanaway Mountains/Peaks/Hills/Buttes/Necks, you will need to do Teanaway Butte at some point along the way. Aesthetically speaking, this hike is at the lower end of the scale... a road walk for 90 percent of the trip and very limited views until the last half mile. Driving the Middle Fork Teanaway road, turn right on Road 230 just before reaching the Indian Camp Campground... you might be tempted to start driving up Road 230 (I was), but you will find it gated after driving about 75 yards... the road was not gated several years ago when I skied on it. Parking at 2560'... hike on the road for ~2.5 miles and reach a "Y" (3600') in the road... the right fork starts downhill towards Rye Creek (there is a sign), but you will want to stay on the left fork and continue uphill for another 1.5 miles to the top of Teanaway Butte (4769'). Views from the top are pretty nice, showing the majority of the Teanaway peaks, The Stuart Range, and Mt. Rainier... and the flower variety was also nice. If you have limited opportunities to visit the Teanaway, select a hike that starts from the North Fork Teanaway road. ~8 miles roundtrip... gaining ~2350 feet of elevation. Photos from our Teanaway Butte hike. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whitebark

whitebark
PostMon Jun 16, 2008 6:02 pm 
yeah, there's a nice view from there. I took a hard-to-recommend cross country route from Liars Prairie to get to Teanaway Butte in May. There may be a trail from the Way Creek saddle, too. From the parking area there, I followed a convincing-looking trail for a short ways, but didn't have the time to follow it to the top.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message