Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chelan Lakeshore Trail 6/12/08 - 6/13/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John

John
PostWed Jun 18, 2008 7:58 pm 
The Lakeshore Trail is an incredible hike that is well worth the extra effort to reach it. After a three hour car ride to Chelan from the Seattle area, backpackers must board a passenger ferry that takes another three hours to arrive at the trailhead near Prince Creek. Fortunately, Kristie and I were staying at nearby Campbell's Resort for a conference, so my journey to the trail was divided into a more leisurely two days. Aboard the ferry, I met a trio of seasoned backpackers who were taking three days to hike the 18 miles to Stehekin. I had planned to do it in two, camping at Flick Creek, 14 miles in. That would leave just the last four miles for the following day, ensuring an early arrival at the Stehekin Lodge and plenty of time to catch the express ferry back to Chelan. At Prince Creek, the four of us deboarded and a group of about 20 other backpackers, who had finished the reverse route, climbed on. They warned us of rattlesnakes and ticks, but I did not see any; nor another soul, for that matter, on the entire trail. I did spot dozens of lizards, chipmunks, birds, deer and a lone mountain goat. Of course, I also enjoyed the amazing views of Lake Chelan, the third deepest lake in the United States. The weather was perfect. Sunny and warm, but refreshingly breezy. The air was filled with the sweet scent of ponderosas and patches of purple lupine. At times, the sunlight filtered through the lake, producing an amazing turquoise color. I think I wore a smile during the entire hike. At Flick Creek, my jaw dropped in awe, and then I laughed giddily in disbelief. Here lies the most beautiful campsite on the trail, and perhaps one of the best I've ever seen. The site is located alongside a bouldered shore, with views of snow-capped peaks over the gem-like lake. A floating dock, log shelter, picnic table, fire pit, bear locker, and fancy toilet are some of the other amenities. I was surprised it wasn't already claimed by another backpacker or boating party. There's really only room here for one group. Lucky me! It was great! At Flick Creek, I soaked it all in, enjoying a most excellent evening, relaxing amidst nature in my own private paradise, thinking, "THIS is what backpacking is all about!" The next day I walked into Stehekin, the most isolated community in the contiguous United States, where everyone waves and says, "Hello!" I washed up and changed into a fresh shirt, making it to the cozy little restaurant just in time for breakfast (9:30 AM is when they stop serving). Here I enjoyed the most tasty omelet, sausage, fried potatoes and sliced apples that I think I've ever had... It was certainly a fine way to top off a wonderful hike. More photos: http://www.johnandkristie.com/archives/2008/06/chelan_lakeshore_trail.html John

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
PYB78
leseattleitefrancais

PYB78
leseattleitefrancais
PostWed Jun 18, 2008 8:16 pm 
AMAZING pictures...that looks like so much fun. I am still floored by the beauty of this place. Very different than the south end of the lake.

"L'opinion est si bien la reine du monde que quand la raison veut le combattre, la raison est condamnée à mort."
superhikerguy

superhikerguy
PostWed Jun 18, 2008 10:45 pm 
Great PICS!!! Definitely on my to do list some time. If I can ever find the time.

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostWed Jun 18, 2008 10:50 pm 
Great photos!! Maaan, I have to do that next year...

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed Jun 18, 2008 10:57 pm 
Beautiful pictures! The color of that water is something else, isn't it?!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostWed Jun 18, 2008 11:03 pm 
Pretty pictures and thanks for sharing up.gif That Flick Creek campsite is nice! cool.gif We stayed at Moore Point last time, but really liked the Flick Creek campsite when we went by it the next day. Will have to camp there next time agree.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
BlueMountainMan

BlueMountainMan
PostThu Jun 19, 2008 8:03 am 
Wow- spectacular pictures, both in quality and composition. Thank you. I did that hike twenty years ago and still vividly remember: 1) swimming in the lake after a day of hiking- man did that feel good! 60 degree water, beautifully clear, very refreshing 2) deep blue skies by day, very dark transparent skies by night- I went in August at the time of the Perseid meteor shower max. Very nice. 3) walking along the trail, coming around a bend, and there, right next to the trail about ten feet ahead of me, a RATTLESNAKE! About 3 feet long, shakin' his moneymaker if ya know what I mean. . . And oh yeah- walking along the trail where a dirt road crossed it, and here comes somebody driving by. . . in an old Volkswagon! Where does that road go, and what is someone doing out here driving on it? I seem to remember it was a dirt road somewhere in the Moore Point area.

call-151

call-151
PostThu Jun 19, 2008 9:30 am 
Those are some fantastic photos, thanks for sharing! smile.gif

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostThu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am 
I haven't done a lot of hiking up in the Chelan area, now I might just have to. Thanks for the pics!

mtngrl

mtngrl
PostThu Jun 19, 2008 9:47 am 
Beautiful pictures! Enjoyed browsing your website too - great work!

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostThu Jun 19, 2008 12:04 pm 
Well done on the photography!

John

John
PostFri Jun 20, 2008 7:39 pm 
Thanks everyone! BlueMountainMan, I'm guessing the water in the lake warms up considerably in August? At Flick Creek, I could barely dip my feet in for five seconds - it was freezing! John

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostFri Jun 20, 2008 8:11 pm 
Nice photos John! up.gif What kind of camera setup were you using? Were you using a tripod? I took the boat to Stehekin only a day or two before you did.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
John

John
PostFri Jun 20, 2008 9:18 pm 
Thanks, Skimpy. Most of the photos were taken with a Rebel XT and the EF-S 10-22mm lens. I think I used the ultrapod ii on a couple shots. John

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostSun Jun 22, 2008 4:38 pm 
Thanks John. up.gif A lot of your photos look better than the real thing. lol.gif

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.