Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Kombucha
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Jun 19, 2008 1:13 pm 
Anyone ever drink Kombucha? I just had half of a bottle and I'd swear I had a beer buzz on. So I looked at the bottle and there is a little note:
Quote:
Due to the fermentation, this product may contain a trace amount of alcohol (less than .5%).
I must be a real lightweight. eyes.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostThu Jun 19, 2008 1:20 pm 
More Cowbell wrote:
Anyone ever drink Kombucha?
Every day. My wife makes it. I didn't know you could buy the stuff. Ours is a fermented sweet tea, the fermentation makes it vinegary, so it's sweet & sour with (in a good batch) a lot of fizz. Never got a buzz from it though. frown.gif

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Jun 19, 2008 1:26 pm 
Oh yeah, there's a couple of different brands out there now. The stuff in the big glass bottles
is the most intense that I've tried.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Just Todd
Trowel Owl

Just Todd
Trowel Owl
PostThu Jun 19, 2008 2:03 pm 
More Cowbell wrote:
Oh yeah, there's a couple of different brands out there now. The stuff in the big glass bottles
is the most intense that I've tried.
YES!!! rockband.gif Can't get enough of the stuff. I get a buzz from it if I down a bottle and I haven't eaten in a while. It's a short lived buzz though. I'd drink it every day if I could. It's amazing in that it seems to cure whatever ailment I may have that day - headache, stuffy nose, funny stomach, whatever.

Sunset is an all day process.
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Jun 19, 2008 7:02 pm 
I've noticed that too about the miracle cure thing. Fermented stuff in general with probiotics (kimchi, yogurt, sauerkraut) are all supposed to be good. I read somewhere that Kimchi kills the bird flu.

heavenly day

heavenly day
PostFri Jun 20, 2008 7:54 am 
Mmm yes, yummy! I have a kombucha nursery in my pantry at all times, two jars at a time. The scoby* tends to gross people out, but I kinda dig it. I love it when the batch is just perfectly tart and fizzy. Looks like a pitcher of beer in my fridge! *symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostFri Jun 20, 2008 8:34 am 
Kombucha is definitely an acquired taste. If you're someone with delicate taste buds, this will do them a whammy due to the fermentation. Great stuff though! up.gif up.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Just Todd
Trowel Owl

Just Todd
Trowel Owl
PostFri Jun 20, 2008 9:57 am 
Conrad and HD Want to share your recipies? smile.gif I'd give it a try for experimentation's sake.

heavenly day

heavenly day
PostFri Jun 20, 2008 12:36 pm 
Yes of course, Todd - I'd love to share the recipe. You need starter tea and a mother scoby, and if you PM me your address I can mail one to you, directions included. Meanwhile, buy a glass pot for boiling the tea (no metal) and 2 large glass jars. I got mine at PCC, I think they're gallon sized. I've never gotten a beer buzz from my kombucha, but I do get a certain overall-sense-of-well-being buzz. (some may argue they're the same thing!)

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Jun 20, 2008 1:14 pm 
We boil our kombucha tea in a big steel pot. It seems to work fine. I don't know what difference a glass pot would make. We also use a couple of big jars. I think my wife got a bar or restaurant to save them for her; pickle or maraschino cherry or something jars. They don't need lids, I don't believe, because the fermentation is aerobic.

heavenly day

heavenly day
PostFri Jun 20, 2008 2:41 pm 
You're right Conrad - no difference, just a personal preference of mine. (I'm a weirdo about metal near my tea). Be sure not to store the fermented culture or the finished tea in anything metal though (or plastic or painted or ceramic, etc...) cause the acidity can cause bad stuff to leach into your tea. I just like using glass all 'round. I use a paper towel and a rubberband to cover jars w/the babies.

Just Todd
Trowel Owl

Just Todd
Trowel Owl
PostFri Jun 20, 2008 2:49 pm 
heavenly day wrote:
Be sure not to store the fermented culture or the finished tea in anything metal though (or plastic or painted or ceramic, etc...) cause the acidity can cause bad stuff to leach into your tea. I just like using glass all 'round.
I prefer glass (and ceramic) over anything else too. What does ceramic have in it that will leach? I always figured it was just a silica coating over earthen clay. Keeping away from metallic and raku glazes, and certain blue and red glazes, is understandable. Curious.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Jun 20, 2008 3:15 pm 
We also use some big straight-sided (cylindrical) jars for the fermentation. They're handy for getting the scoby out since it's a solid pancake covering the whole top of the liquid.

heavenly day

heavenly day
PostFri Jun 20, 2008 4:07 pm 
" A warning from the US journal Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (Dec 8th 1995) says "Because of the acidity of Kombucha tea, it should not be prepared or stored in containers made from materials such as ceramic or lead crystal, which both contain toxic elements that can leach into the tea". " Doesn't specify glazed / unglazed / painted... Call me paranoid. I won't do it. paranoid.gif

Fred_Beavon

Fred_Beavon
PostFri Apr 03, 2009 7:29 pm 
It's supposedly very healthy. I drink about three bottles a week. I'd drink it every day but it's a bit pricey. It is the "soft drink of the 21st century". See http://consciouschoice.com/2007/05/kombucha0705.html And for the health benefits, see http://www.gokombucha.com/health_benefits.html And for references, see http://www.gaiaresearch.co.za/kombucha.html