Forum Index > Trip Reports > The extreme Treen Peak via Green Ridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 10:29 am 
June 21, 2008 Being the highest summit between the Middle Fork Snoqualmie and the Taylor Rivers, we're surprised Treen Peak doesn't get more attention. Maybe it's the hour long drive up the potholed Middle Fork Road. Maybe it's the miner's trail up Green Ridge that gains 3000 feet in the first few miles. Maybe it's the over 5000 feet needed to gain the summit. Maybe it's the 1000 plus feet of counter elevation encountered on the return trip. Maybe it's the 10 to 12 hours of hiking time needed. Or perhaps it is all of these things. dizzy.gif We've been intrigued with Treen Peak ever since we first visited the Garfield Mountain/Charlie Brown lakes back in 2005. Seeing it in the foreground of the spectacular sunset we observed during the Big Snow Mountain climb earlier this year furthered our fascination. We were surprised when we found out that yukon222, dicey, and yana all shared our fixation for Treen Peak and yet had all never climbed it.
Treen Peak from camp at Big Snow Lake (05/17/08)
Treen Peak from camp at Big Snow Lake (05/17/08)
We met dicey and yana at a gas station off of exit 34 early Saturday morning and then caravaned to the Mailbox Peak trailhead where they parked yana's car. We then piled into yukon's truck for the long bumpy drive down the Middle Fork road. It seemed there was at least one Middle Fork resident who didn't want us to reach our destination. Just before the trailhead we came upon a doe with two of the smallest and cutest twin fawns you've ever seen. Of course, instead of ducking in the bushes on either side of the road, the whole family took off down the road (the fawns were quite wobbly on their feet and even fell a couple of times - we kind of felt guilty disturbing them). They finally hopped off into the bushes just before we reached the pullout parking spot near the trailhead. Luckily most of us had been here before because it's hard to find the first time. After attaching our packs, gaiters and other gear it was up, up, and up the Green Ridge "trail". On the way up, dicey asked if it was a miner's, fisherman's, or climber's path. We replied that it didn't matter since they are all steep embarassedlaugh.gif (it was originally a miner's trail).
Green Ridge isn't steep! :P
Green Ridge isn't steep! :P
Ascending the ridge
Ascending the ridge
Yana in action!
Yana in action!
We passed the way to Green Ridge Lake about 3400 feet and continued on up. We hit snow about 4200' just before Green Ridge makes a bend and heads NW. The snow was hard and crunchy so we donned crampons for some extra traction. We made our way up to the 4840' high point of the ridge and then down to Washington Lake 4662 with one small incident. Alti-Dude was in the lead when he broke through a thin layer of snow and fell 4 feet to the rocks below eek.gif . Luckily he landed flat on his feet but he broke the trek pole he had borrowed from Alti-Babe clean in half (and he had to borrow a pole only because he had broke one of his poles the day before coming down from Snoqualmie Mountain doh.gif ). 2 broken poles in 2 days....that's got to be some sort of record, right? huh.gif
A Dude sized hole
A Dude sized hole
Alti-Babe poses while everyone else takes a break (first view of Treen Peak)
Alti-Babe poses while everyone else takes a break (first view of Treen Peak)
Treen that way!
Treen that way!
From Lake 4662, we had to descend about 800 feet to almost the shore of Upper Garfield Mountain Lake and the traverse north to Charlie Brown Lake. We remarked on how much easier the going was when snow covered the hillsides compared to the bushwhacking we had to endure when we were there in the late summer of 2005.
Counter elevation is my nemesis!
Counter elevation is my nemesis!
Losing our precious elevation
Losing our precious elevation
Yukon above Upper Garfield Lake
Yukon above Upper Garfield Lake
Upper Garfield Lake
Upper Garfield Lake
Whippets seek out the way
Whippets seek out the way
At Charlie Brown, we ate lunch on a large partially snow free boulder. 'Babe had been battling a bug all week and welcomed this time to regain her strength before pushing on. Then it was time to climb the final 1300+' to the summit. Using some data we had obtained from yellowleaf.org to choose the route, we kickstepped up the steep snow slopes to the summit. We probably didn't need the crampons for 90% of the time but we sure were glad we had them for the other 10%. We had one brief rain storm hit us while we were dug into the side of the mountain 500' below the summit but luckily it was over fast, and we didn't have to turn back.
Lunch rock!
Lunch rock!
Start of the climb
Start of the climb
At least Dicey is having fun!
At least Dicey is having fun!
We spent about 45 minutes on the summit taking pictures, shooting videos, and congratulating one another on their first ascent of Treen. There were great views of both Mount Rainier to the south and Glacier Peak to the north. We could also see Big Snow, Kaleetan, Lemah, Overcoat, Cascade, Si/Teneriffe/Green, Rooster, Garfield, Preacher, Russian Butte and many more. There were also some spectacular views of the entire length of Otter Falls cascading down into Lipsy Lake. We signed the register left by Fay Pullen last year and we noticed we were only the third party ever to sign in - and the first this year. We had taken Ed Miller along with us for the dayhike. This seemed like it was visited too infrequently to leave him so we spread some of his ashes on the summit and took him back with us to climb another day.
Yukon on Treen
Yukon on Treen
Land of waterfalls (Otter and Big Creek falls)
Land of waterfalls (Otter and Big Creek falls)
Otter Falls into Lipsy Lake
Otter Falls into Lipsy Lake
Yana inspects the summit
Yana inspects the summit
Yana peeks through the summit ice
Yana peeks through the summit ice
Alti-Babe, "Look, it's so beautiful!" Yana, "No, you can't make me!"
Alti-Babe, "Look, it's so beautiful!" Yana, "No, you can't make me!"
From Bears Breast to Lemahs
From Bears Breast to Lemahs
Glacier Peak from Treen
Glacier Peak from Treen
Checking out the views
Checking out the views
Just watch me not need your help! :P
Just watch me not need your help! :P
Yana on Treen
Yana on Treen
Treen summit group
Treen summit group
The steepness of the route necessitated a few areas of face-in downclimbing back to Charlie Brown Lake. From there, we all talked about how much we were looking forward to the extra 800' of counter elevation back up to Point 4840' on Green Ridge (NOT! waah.gif ). As we traversing above Upper Garfield Mountain Lake, Alti-Dude provided us with his second episode of comic relief. As he was stepping over a bent tree trunk, the branches stuck in the snow holding the tree down suddenly released free of the snow causing the tree to straighten as he was straddling the tree. Luckily it only flipped him onto his back but we all had fun imagining the sight it would have been if it had catapulted him out into the lake lol.gif !
Downclimbing action!
Downclimbing action!
Now you're not going to fall again are you, Alti-Babe?!
Now you're not going to fall again are you, Alti-Babe?!
Downclimbing is for wussies!
Downclimbing is for wussies!
Alti-whippets or Alti-goats?
Alti-whippets or Alti-goats?
Na, na, na, na, na, nanna, BAT DOG!
Na, na, na, na, na, nanna, BAT DOG!
We're cute, right?
We're cute, right?
Yana in her element
Yana in her element
Did we mention counter elevation sucks?
Did we mention counter elevation sucks?
Once the majority of the counter elevation was done, it was down, down, down, the steep ridge trail. Of course, the last part of the trail seemed to add on miles the closer we thought we were to the road. There was no way it was as long going up as it was coming down huh.gif !
Here you go, Row! Snow treat!
Here you go, Row! Snow treat!
Doh, missed it!
Doh, missed it!
Killed it!
Killed it!
Take your time, I'm not in a hurry to ascend this slope!
Take your time, I'm not in a hurry to ascend this slope!
Descending Green Ridge
Descending Green Ridge
Short legs suck, don't they, mom?
Short legs suck, don't they, mom?
Schmidt Altitude TH Shot
Schmidt Altitude TH Shot
Full photo set on flickr Trail Stats: Time from car to summit: 5:49 Elevation gained car to summit: 5338' Elevation descended car to summit: 1066' Time from summit to car: 4:15 Elevation gained summit to car: 1053' Elevation lost descended summit to car: 5304' Total hike time (including time on the summit): 10:50 Total elevation gained: 6391' Total elevation lost: 6370'

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 10:30 am 
Very fun trip! I had been up to Green Ridge Lake area several times before, but had never stayed on the ridge spine. The steep ascent up thru the forest on the primitive path flattened out after 3000’ gain in the first 2 miles. The spine meandered up and down for awhile before finally allowing us to exit down towards Upper Garfield Lake. I’m curious what the spine looks like in the summer without 4’ of snow cover. Long day but the unique perspective on the "back side" of many of the peaks made it very worthwhile!
Newborn and mom on the MFK road
Newborn and mom on the MFK road
Part of Garfield
Part of Garfield
Descent to Upper Garfield Lake
Descent to Upper Garfield Lake
Upper Garfield Lake melting out
Upper Garfield Lake melting out
Otter Falls
Otter Falls
'Dude on Treen outcrop
'Dude on Treen outcrop
Big Snow Mountain
Big Snow Mountain
Yana on Treen Peak knob
Yana on Treen Peak knob
Yana on Treen summit ridgeline
Yana on Treen summit ridgeline
Kaleetan - imposing from this side too!
Kaleetan - imposing from this side too!
Glacier Peak making brief appearance
Glacier Peak making brief appearance
Concentration 'Babe
Concentration 'Babe
Dicey has it under control!
Dicey has it under control!
'Dude and Yana on the steep face
'Dude and Yana on the steep face
Just 1000' of counter elevation left on way back
Just 1000' of counter elevation left on way back
Poor frozen tree in meltwater
Poor frozen tree in meltwater
Treen Peak from above Upper Garfield Lake
Treen Peak from above Upper Garfield Lake
Treen Peak final slopes
3 labels
Treen Peak final slopes
Green Ridge forest
Green Ridge forest

Yet

Yet
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 10:46 am 
Very nice TR! up.gif Yana likes holes, eh? embarassedlaugh.gif

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 10:46 am 
up.gif

Knows literally nothing
BarbE

BarbE
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 11:49 am 
Almost 6400 feet elevation gain! What does it take to wear you out? Great TR and pics-love the Alti-Goats.

RonL

RonL
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 3:37 pm 
Nice report and pictures! I was up skiing around Green Ridge, Hi-lo, and Rock lakes earlier this year. There is some fun terrain up there if you don't mind the approach. I wondered about Treen a few times that day. I guess I have more to do up there after all.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 8:55 pm 
Cool trip. Brings back some fun memories, except I remember a lot of steep duff slopes without all the snow. Snow would have been really nice the day I went! You'll have to try East Garfield one of these days. An equally nice trip with a bit more scrambling involved.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 9:18 pm 
What a great trip report... you guys are awesome. But I gotta tell you...those whippets are beyond awesome up.gif up.gif up.gif ! The alti-goat shot is priceless...I see a 2008 Christmas card... winksmile.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 9:24 pm 
That is an incredible trip and amazing effort. You guys rawk!! Love the alti-goat picture. It's an instant classic.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 9:48 pm 
Wow you'll are pros. Great TR and pics. up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 9:54 pm 
Ehhhhxcellent!

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 9:56 pm 
No Way! I've been wanting to do that for years waah.gif Next time you take a big climb off my list please ask permission! yukon222 -- could you draw a route map like the one you did for Big Snow? (at the risk of sending all the Europeans scampering up Treen peak)

yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 11:54 pm 
Here you go, Puzzlr. Just get on the Green Ridge spine and stay on it for about 3200' vertical till it tapers off towards the tarn. Country opens up and drop down to Upper Garfield Lake.
green ridge to treen
green ridge to treen

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostTue Jun 24, 2008 11:59 pm 
Very nice you guys! This is a good time of year for that peak. I did treen a few years back around this same time. It was fun. Wow, there is still a lot of snow up there this year. up.gif

gone

gone
PostWed Jun 25, 2008 2:09 am 
Dang! I can't tell you how much I enjoy hiking vicariously through you guys. biggrin.gif Nice work! up.gif