Forum Index > Trip Reports > Koppen Mtn - 6.20.2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Jun 25, 2008 11:09 am 
Our party of five did a through-hike over Koppen Mtn... leaving a car at the Johnson Creek trailhead (.25 miles beyond the Beverly Campground on the N. Fork Teanaway road) and then driving a second car on the N. Fork road for ~4 miles to start the hike from the DeRoux Creek trailhead (3800'). Hiking trail 1392 for ~1.5 miles brought us to a trail junction... 1392 continues up valley to Gallaher Lake... we chose trail 1392.1 which uses well-graded switchbacks to cover the next mile... bringing us to a pass (5000') about equal distance between DeRoux Peak and Koppen Mtn. Turning south on trail 1225 we traveled on snow most of the time and reached the Koppen Mtn summit (6031') in 1.5 miles... very nice views from this summit. Continuing south on trail 1225 we left the snow and in another 1.5 miles of up and down ridge walking we arrived at a 4-way intersection... where we opted to turn east on trail 1383 that quickly drops into a drainage... eventually connecting with the Johnson Creek trail (1383.1) after another 3 miles of hiking... leaving only a half-mile on 1383.1 to get back to our first car. 9 miles total, gaining 3113 feet of elevation. GPS route and photos of our Koppen Mtn hike. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostWed Jun 25, 2008 11:13 am 
I've done it from both ends but never as a one way trip. up.gif I don't see any balsamroot photos. Were they in bloom on the ridge top?

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Jun 25, 2008 11:32 am 
Jim... to be honest, having done Freedom Peak on the 18th and Volcanic Neck, Devils Head, and Bean Peak on the 19th, I was sucking wind on Koppen and don't recall very much about the flowers on this hike. In my opinion, compared to the last several years, this year doesn't seem to be a very good flower year in the Teanaway... perhaps the flowers just haven't arrived yet because of the late snow... Glacier Lilies seem to be the dominant flower so far.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Type E

Type E
PostWed Jun 25, 2008 1:51 pm 
What are trying to do, all the Teanaway peaks in one week? Looks like you checked quite a few off this week. Good work!

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Jun 25, 2008 3:01 pm 
E... I'm working on a modified B/C 100 list... for lack of a better name, I'm calling it the "Teanaway Area 34"... it is comprised of the 28 Teanaway Area peaks on the B/C 100 list and the 6 Teanaway Area peaks on the B/C 100 list that don't meet the 400 feet of clean prominence rule. Perhaps I should work on getting a life.