Forum Index > Gear Talk > Ice Axe or Trekking Poles?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GymJunkie0515

GymJunkie0515
PostWed Jun 25, 2008 11:39 pm 
I was going to be hiking on a 10 day hike mostly in the snow, and i will be hiking on some roughly steep sides. I was wondering if I have only the money to spend for one thing should I get a Ice Axe or Trekking Pole?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 25, 2008 11:44 pm 
If the consequences are serious if you slip take an axe. You can always use old ski poles from a garage sale for cheap. One pole and an axe works well to. If you need an axe you should learn how to use it from someone who knows their stuff.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
GymJunkie0515

GymJunkie0515
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 12:05 am 
I watched something on youtube showing how to help prevent sliding down a mountain with an ice axe. I was thinking I could maybe just use trekking poles and jab them into the snow if I needed too.

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 12:36 am 
Ice axe. Trekking poles are no substitute if you slip. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that you shouldn't bet your life on it.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 9:01 am 
I concur! Ice Axe for sure... I have bent more poles because of a slip, or rock sliding under my foot and causing me to catch my balance... Have yet to bend my Ice Axe....

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 9:20 am 
Get the ice axe as others have said. But, I also like the axe plus one pole style. If you're on a budget you still can probably supplement the axe with a single pole by finding a used ski pole at Value Village for a few bucks. It won't be collapsible and is not as good as new poles but a lot cheaper and more helpful than not IMO.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 10:00 am 
One can’t self arrest with hiking poles, one can with an ice ax. If you start to slide the ax is the best way to stop but it does require training as your actions need to be automatic before terminal velocity is reached. Be that as it may, learning how to cross a steep snow field and self arresting to prevent a fall is not that difficult to learn.

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 10:07 am 
maybe this will help.... Self arrest...

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"
GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 10:10 am 
or you could go for one of these... Pole Axe

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 10:27 am 
Depends on the snow consistency and slope angle. But most of the time you can arrest with poles, I just did on a 45 degree slope yesterday. If the snow is to soft, it may take to much time, which can be a problem if you don't have much run out, the same with snow that is too hard, you can arrest, but it may take time to stop. I think that is a choice you should not have to make if you are travelling in the backcountry, especially off trail, be prepared, get a second mortgage and take both, there is a time and place for each. They do have trekking poles that have flip out picks in the handle that have some popularity.

Living in the Anthropocene
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 10:40 am 
So, perhaps it's that my training comes from people who are fairly conservative on this front, but I'm going to stick to it (and I had to follow my own advice, despite illness, and only barely squeaking by following my own advice). Don't take an ice ax if you don't have an idea how to use it. Misuse of an ice ax is more likely to kill you than misuse of poles. An adz in the nose, an ax tip in the eye, a pick end in a femoral artery... these are bad things. Of course, not having the right training and gear (training first, gear second for a reason) may limit what terrain you can cover, but hey... I like living. smile.gif That said, for me, snowy steep terrain (30 degree slopes, for instance), will now (yay training) have me bringing my ice ax, because poles certainly aren't going to stop me, and not much else will either. But, if I'm badly out of practice (and I need more, I feel almost okin the need to self-belay, and I definitely need to do more practice self-arresting), I would forgo the trip and train for it. A badly used ice ax will no more save your life than not having one (chances are, you'll lose it anyway), and can be more of a liability than not having one..

GymJunkie0515

GymJunkie0515
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 1:30 pm 
Hey thanks everyone for their input. I found a place that rents Ice Axes so I will rent one, thanks again. I might also just buy some trekking poles for walking in flat snow.

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 4:04 pm 
I would say that if you haven't actually practiced using an axe to arrest that you might be giving yourself a false sense of security. I had and carried an axe for many years before actually having someone show me how to use it. Suffice is to say I would not have been able to effectively use it without my practice in a controlled situation. And my God did my upper body feel sore for at least 1.5 weeks afterwards. Now at least I have some idea of what to do if it's needed...I don't think youtube will cut it.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 4:42 pm 
whistlingmarmot wrote:
I don't think youtube will cut it.
Ditto, ditto, a thousand times ditto. If you end up needing to use it, you need some muscle memory to be working in your favor for the use of the thing, as it's about reflexes. You don't get muscle memory from YouTube. (wouldn't that be cool if you could? wink.gif )

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 4:46 pm 
I was just trying to help out...it would be better to take a class or be shown by someone that knows how to handle an ice axe and self arrest.