Forum Index > Trip Reports > Surprise Lake 08/11/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TomTrimbath

TomTrimbath
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 5:10 pm 
The snow is gone, mostly. The lake is open. The clouds were leaving, slowly. I visited Surprise Lake just as the drenched weekenders were leaving, but not before the forest had dried out. Just brushing along on the trail left all of my clothes soaked. The next morning everything looked drier and sunnier, so the next set of folks should have a good time, or at least a more comfortable visit. The trail is in good shape. The mud spots aren't too bad. The brush is trying to buy back the trail, but it looked like trail crews were making progress. The flowers were more obvious than the bugs, at least until I set up my tent. Then there was a column of mosquitoes directly above my rainfly, spiraling around as if they were in a thermal. I got a few bites, but nothing to itch about. I was told that the trail to Glacier was clear and that the lake was open, but I headed back to dry clothes. The trip was definitely worth the effort.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 7:41 am 
Is the dead horse still stinking up the place ?

Living in the Anthropocene
TomTrimbath

TomTrimbath
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 11:02 am 
"Is the dead horse still stinking up the place ?" Evidently not down by the outlet where I was. Supposedly there was a ranger at the other end. Maybe that's what he was there for, but who would get a horse into Surprise Lake and how?