Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Daniel with a side of Robin Lake 8/3-8/6
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Shadow

Shadow
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 9:21 pm 
A little late posting this but just got back into town after a week of vacation that included a 200 mile commute to work this morning. This trip started out at the Cathedral Pass trailhead Sunday 8/3 and made my way up to Peggy's Pond to spend the night and get an early start at Mt Daniel. The hike up was uneventful other than the mosquitos along this portion of the trail were really, really bad and stopping for more than a couple seconds wasn't an option. It was just as bad at Peggy's Pond but after setting up camp and walking up the boulder field about a 1/4 mile to get a better look at Daniel, the bugs were nearly non-existant! Setting up there may have been a little more exposed but to get away from the swarms would have been worth it.
Peggy's Pond
Peggy's Pond
The next morning I was up at 6:30 and started making my way through the boulder field towards the SE ridge where I could see a track in the snow headed towards the saddle next to the east summit.
looking up to the east summit
looking up to the east summit
It was steep in places but the snow was still firm early in the day and there were good steps kicked in. On the way up I took a break and peaked over the ridge and down to Square Lk below.
Square Lk
Square Lk
Once through the gap next to the east summit you get some great views down to Venus and Spade Lakes, Rainier and Adams. From here there was only one really steep patch of snow to cross making my way towards the middle and west summits but once again there were good steps kicked in.
Venus Lk, Spade Lk
Venus Lk, Spade Lk
It didn't take long to make it to the west summit where I spent a good hour or so having something to eat, take a break, and take in the great views.
Baker and Glacier Peak from middle summit
Baker and Glacier Peak from middle summit
Lynch Glacier
Lynch Glacier
Bears Breast
Bears Breast
Peggy's Pond and Cathedral Rock
Peggy's Pond and Cathedral Rock
About noon I started to slowly make my way back towards the east summit to start descending since I knew the snow could be getting pretty soft by now. The snow wasn't as soft as I thought it would be and once back onto the SE ridge above Square Lake, I waited until almost 4 p.m. before making the final walk/slide back down to Peggy's Pond and the swarms that awaited me. Never saw another person the whole day up there. After probably one of the best nights' sleep I've ever had in the woods, I was underway back towards Deception Pass, Tuck and Robin by 9 a.m. The bugs didn't seem nearly as bad that morning as they had been and it was definitely a welcome change from the previous days. At the Cathedral Pass junction there is a temporary sign that warns of the washouts ahead that are impassable to stock. They are easy enough to cross by foot and the one you have to wade through wasn't even knee deep; no problem. Didn't seem to make very good time on this stretch of trail but was taking frequent breaks since it was pretty hot even early in the day and the bugs weren't around. I eventually made it to the Tuck/Robin cutoff around 1 p.m. and took yet another break knowing the steep, nasty trail that lay ahead and wasn't looking forward to doing this in the heat of the day. But one step at a time I slowly made my way up to Tuck thinking I might not get much of a break if the bugs were biting. Once again I was surprised to find they weren't all that bad so took about an hour break contemplating the climb up to Robin. My legs were tired and it was pretty warm out but pushed on up the final stretch slowly. After leaving Tuck, the bugs seemed to get worse and worse the higher up I got and was hoping this wasn't a precursor to what waited at the lakes. Once the lakes came into view there were plenty of goats to be seen and quickly made my way towards an open spot on a hill just south of the outlet of the lakes. There was a good breeze here and it seemed to keep the bugs away for the most part, thank heaven! It didn't take more than a few minutes for the goats to make there way to my campsite and see what was going on. For the rest of the night they kept wandering in and out of camp and got some pretty good pictures.
caution, goats at play
caution, goats at play
visitor at camp
visitor at camp
dashing through the snow
dashing through the snow
moonlight stroll
moonlight stroll
early morning visitors
early morning visitors
naptime
naptime
The next morning I made a counter clockwise loop around the larger lake starting up the ridge between the two. Didn't see nearly as many goats as I thought I would but still got some more good pics.
up early
up early
Robin Lakes
Robin Lakes
Robin Lakes and Mt Daniel
Robin Lakes and Mt Daniel
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
I really would have liked to stay more than one night at Robin, but with a pretty good view to the south I could watch the clouds moving in and getting thicker and thicker by the hour. Just after 2 p.m I packed up and reluctantly left, but once down to Hyas Lake I could see the raindrops hitting the water and was glad I made the choice to leave when I did. All in all it totaled up to about 35 miles and 8000 ft elevation gain. After the backpacking portion of the vacation I made my way towards Chelan for a couple "do-nothing" days and caught a couple gorgeous sunsets I thought I would share. Keep in mind these are not enhanced in any way; just point and shoot shots! Pretty awesome colors I thought.
sunset at Daroga State Park on the Columbia R.
sunset at Daroga State Park on the Columbia R.
Wapato Lake at sunset
Wapato Lake at sunset

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 10:18 pm 
Wow, now thats a trip. Both sides of the valley. Nice work. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 11:18 pm 
It's great to see such unique compositions from such a justifiably popular place

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Sir Hikes-A-Lot
X-Ray Guy

Sir Hikes-A-Lot
X-Ray Guy
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 11:39 pm 
thanks for the trip report. My brother in law and I are heading up there on Thursday, but we are going to do the loop the other direction. It's nice to get some more info before we hit the trail. Nice pic of daniels from peggy.

BA-NA-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE!
Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 11:41 pm 
Very nice trip report. So why do you refer to Circle Lake as Square Lake?

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 7:04 am 
Great pics up.gif Gotta love both sides of the valley

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 7:33 am 
Mt. Daniel wub.gif up.gif up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 9:49 am 
Way To Go, nice pictures!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 10:02 am 
Beautiful!!! I'm a little surprised to see all those lakes fully thawed. I was up at Robin Lakes last year in early July and they were still very frozen. Anyway, great pics and thanks for sharing.

Shadow

Shadow
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 10:15 am 
Schmidt Alti-Dude wrote:
oops, my bad. I knew it was some geometric name dizzy.gif Circle Lake is correct

adamcwatts

adamcwatts
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 12:33 pm 
Nice pictures, would you say crampons and an Ice axe would be needed or at least preferred on Mt. Daniel at this time?

http://sunrisegear.blogspot.com/ - Serving Up Fresh Gear
iHeartTheChallenge
Marnie and Justin

iHeartTheChallenge
Marnie and Justin
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 12:45 pm 
Did you stay on the Southeast Ridge the entire time? What were the conditions like on the Hyas Creek Glacier (what's left of it)? My wife and I are planning on doing this climb in about 2 - 3 weeks, so I'd just like to see what your thoughts were on the conditions of both lines of ascent. We'd like to do the Hyas Creek rather than Southeast Ridge, but when we went to Peggys Pond last weekend to do some reconnaissance, we weren't able to get a good enough view of the basin. Great TR, btw. Thanks! smile.gif Cheers, -->Justin

Cheers, -->Justin
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 1:04 pm 
Schmidt Alti-Dude wrote:
"Circle takes the Square!" hockeygrin.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
touron

touron
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 1:10 pm 
Great goat shots! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Shadow

Shadow
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 1:50 pm 
Hyas Cr basin
Hyas Cr basin
Here's a better shot looking back up the basin. I stuck to the SE ridge and would most definitely recommend crampons and an axe. Even though the footing wasn't bad one slip could spell disaster. One note though; the boot path I was following went very close to some of the rocks where it was melting from underneath so be cautious when following where others have gone before! It's not necessarily the safest way.