Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Can you hear me now?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chat E. Hiker

Chat E. Hiker
PostMon Apr 12, 2004 10:03 pm 
Cell Phones Alter National Park Landscape I think Stefan said it best: "Watching someone use a cellular phone on the trail is like watching someone sitting on the toilet."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
G C Thomas

G C Thomas
PostMon Apr 12, 2004 10:24 pm 
Amen. I carry one occasionaly when I'm by myself in the off season but I have not "had" to use it. I go to get away, to meditate and to forget about real life for a while. I almost consider being in the back country a sacred experience and I would feel defiled by such intrusions, but hey what you going to do, push her off.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Apr 12, 2004 11:30 pm 
My phone is very light-weight. I always carry it concealed so I don't run the chance of freaking out other hikers. I am well trained in its proper use, but I keep it locked off to prevent it from going off inadvertently. It's always loaded with 9 phone numbers, and I carry even more in case the nine are not enough. Thankfully, I've never had to use it. But in carrying it and knowing how to use it, I see myself as an asset to everyone else on the trail.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Apr 12, 2004 11:40 pm 
hey do you think I could borrow some flagging tape? I'll bring it right back!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostMon Apr 12, 2004 11:43 pm 
nono.gif BW lol.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 12:41 am 
i do carry my cell phone when hiking, but that's because it's also a gps reciever (motorola i530 from nextel) nothing fancy, but it will give you your position when you need it. 5.22 oz. on my digital scale.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 2:55 am 
The problems described in the article are from inconsiderate people, not cell phones. Blabbing away during a tour or on the peak of a mountain is just as annoying if the person being spoken to is right there. If I climbed a mountain, and someone else did too, and they made a five-minute call while speaking softly, I would wait it out or wander off (if possible) until they were through. The "guess where I'm calling from" call is apparently a part of human nature, so a little common courtesy on one side and a little patience on the other side, and we can all get along. If you are surrounded by several jerks, you probably went to the wrong place to begin with.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 5:08 am 
Some how or another I've learned to not need one. Well, maybe not learned, I just don't need it. Some day maybe I'll catch up with the rest of the world. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 8:55 am 
Please don't Newt. up.gif Personally I don't go out in the woods for things to be safe and convenient, that just erodes away many of the things that nature is offering to begin with.

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 10:28 am 
I resisted cell phones completely until about 6 months ago. I just never had the need. The only reason I ended up getting one was because I realized I could talk to my family in Texas without long distance charges if I was on the right plan, and therefore wouldn't need a landline at all.

Far Fig Newton

Far Fig Newton
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 11:12 am 
Cell phones don't talk to people. People talk to people. We have a right from the conctitucion to have sell phones.

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 11:16 am 
Cell phones
I had to call my wife one time when I was doing the PCT from Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie Pass to tell her I'd be a day late coming out. That call elimiated her from calling out the National Guard, Search and Rescue, Army, Bloodhounds ect. ( In 25+ years I have never been late) I agree with the fact it's very annoying when someone is blabbing on a cell phone on the trail guns.gif jab.gif toothless.gif curse.gif but they do have thier place, although a small one.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 11:53 am 
Al S. Enne wrote:
We have a right from the conctitucion to have sell phones.
I won't even touch that! lol.gif

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 11:55 am 
I dont see the differance in someone babbling there heads off on the trail talking to you or someone babbling there heads off talking on a cell phone. Same annoyance to me. I rather them babble there heads off on the cell phone, cause atleast then you know they aint talking to you. biggrin.gif

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostTue Apr 13, 2004 12:25 pm 
You would think so, but the actual 'presence' of a cell phone is bothersome in nature IMO. I can understand a casual conversation between two buddies out hiking, it's a shared experience. But I guess anyone can do whatever they want because 'this is America!' Just don't get upset when you get bad looks from people that actually know how to cut the damn chord and experience nature.