Forum Index > Food & Grub > what's your favorite energy/snack bar?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malamonster

Malamonster
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 11:46 am 
I have been making my own: 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal 1 cup of peanut butter 1 cup of powdered milk 2 scoops of chocolate whey protein 1 tablespoon of vanilla 1/2 cup of cranberries or raisins or any dried fruit 2 tablespoons of flax (ground or seed) 1/2 cup of water (may need more depending on consistency) Mix everything together in a bowl. Spread into 9X9 baking dish and cover. Put in fridge covered. I have also cut and wrapped individually and stuck them in the freezer to grab and go. They work great on the trail as well.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 12:06 pm 
Sounds so good and fresh, malamonster. Thanks for the recipe. up.gif What kind of consistency do they have after refrigeration, and do they keep that consistency when out on the trail? Just wondering if they would work for multiple day trips?

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 12:08 pm 
lately I have been going with the APRICOT Clif bars. Seem more palatable than some of their other ones. Of course I have my "regular" food I go through before I usually eat the "emergency stash" of Clif bars. For my high density "extra" food, I try to find a balance of price, HIGH calories, edibility and portability. I don't understand getting "low calorie" snack bars for the trail. Seems sort of counter productive to the concept of bringing along concentrated food. the recipe in the previous post looks pretty intriguing though. I may have to try that. I always have some Swanson's whey powder around (VERY cheap source of concentrated protein) and of course some pure cocoa powder for that recipe. Maybe throw in some dried cherries from Trader Joes. Thanks for the recipe. I may give it a try!

friluftsliv
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 1:33 pm 
I am forever indebted to the seasoned alpine guide who hipped me to the favorable calorie-to-weight-ratio of these edible delights:

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
E's Mom

E's Mom
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 2:17 pm 
I always pack a Larabar or Jocolatbar (made by the same company). I like Cherry Pie, Cinnamon Roll or Apple Larabars and Chocolate Mint or Chocolate Coffee Jocolatbars. I like these bars because they have few ingredients, no refined sugar & are chock full of healthy nuts & fruit. Yum!

"I will lift my eyes to the hills. From whence does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 6:12 pm 
I've only had one energy bar on a hike, given to me by another hiker. I don't remember what kind it was, but it tasted terrible. I vaguely remember chucking the remaining half off the edge of a switchback. hurl.gif Cookies are the way to go! up.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 7:36 pm 
Belly Timber bars or Pemmican coconut / almond bars if it must be a bar. Baker's cookies are good, too. Especially the carmel apple one. Mostly, I go with trail mix and Payday candy bars. (I have to credit Quark for the Payday candy bar idea. Her great big ones didn't melt, and my yummy chocolate bars did - didn't stop me from eating them but I'm sure it wasn't pretty...)

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 7:57 pm 
I like Clif Bars. I really, really like them. wub.gif The guy I know who hikes the farthest and fastest goes all day on two bananas and a six pack of poptarts. huh.gif

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 8:07 pm 
Toonces wrote:
I am forever indebted to the seasoned alpine guide who hipped me to the favorable calorie-to-weight-ratio of these edible delights:
Well, if we are going THAT direction.... I rarely hike without Fred Meyer bakery Double Chocolate Chunk chip cookies. agree.gif A great way to get your chocolate fix without the mess of a candy bar. I keep those in my PRIMARY stash of food...usually the first thing to go actually. hockeygrin.gif Gotta try that recipe above though....

friluftsliv
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 8:21 pm 
Pound Plus Bar
Pound Plus Bar
hihi.gif

Malamonster

Malamonster
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 9:34 pm 
Mr. Goat - After they are in the fridge they sortof solidify into a bar. I have had them out on the trail for several days - of course out of the sun/deep inside the pack and they have kept quite well. Good luck.

polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 11:08 pm 
Magellan wrote:
I like Clif Bars. I really, really like them. wub.gif The guy I know who hikes the farthest and fastest goes all day on two bananas and a six pack of poptarts. huh.gif
up.gif up.gif

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 11:10 pm 
Thanks. up.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 11:19 pm 
polarbear wrote:
Magellan wrote:
up.gif up.gif
And the really nice thing about poptarts, is they double as a survival tool. due to their high flammability. Albeit it does make me question actually EATING them. http://gearbox.maem.umr.edu/personal/cottrell/poptarts/poptarts.htm cool.gif

friluftsliv
Mac

Mac
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 11:49 pm 
These look pretty good, although I've never had them....and they're made right here in Portland: Paley Bars

"Good people drink good beer." Hunter Thompson