Forum Index > Gear Talk > Topo Maps: plan, view, share, collaborate online
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
huron

huron
PostSat Jul 05, 2008 7:00 pm 
Google Maps has some great features that we could all be using to share routes. This could make all the printed topo maps almost obsolete. First, create a Google account. Then... To create a route: 1) Go to Google Maps and login 2) Search for the general location (peak, river, lake, etc.) 3) Click the terrain button for great topo and elevation data 4) Create a route with the route and marker tools. You can now publish this and collaborate on the route with others. To publish a route from your GPS: 1) Save your GPS data as a .gpx file 2) Download the free GPS Trackmaker software. 3) Use it to convert your .gpx file to Google compatible .kml file. 4) Create a new Google map and upload the .kml file to it. I did this for my last trip with THIS RESULT. The only problem with getting the maps onto nwhikers is that HTML is turned off, so they can't be embedded directly into a post. Tom?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
call-151

call-151
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 10:31 am 
That's cool, they have added elevation lines since the last time I checked out the "terrain" button on Google Maps. Canadian maps have elevations as well! smile.gif I wonder if there is a way to get UTM grid lines onto the maps?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 am 
I've enabled HTML for that particular feature. Let's see if it works:
View Larger Map

huron

huron
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 11:33 am 
Thank you Tom! Very nice!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 3:39 pm 
I wrote code to do almost the exact same thing. See it here: http://www.madcampers.com/single_adventure.php?adventure_id=4 Only I just parse the .gpx files straight from the server, since they are simply xml files. I even have it separate the days into different colors. There is a little problem with the plotting though as sometimes it doesn't show up unless you move the map. Not sure what is causing it, but if anyone wants the php behind this let me know. Cheers!

cartman

cartman
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 5:03 pm 
This is interesting, but as long as trails and most roads aren't represented on Google maps, I don't see them replacing USGS or GT maps. But they could be a good supplement. Also, the contour intervals are no better than GT, and the shadowed relief obscures detail.

huron

huron
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 5:28 pm 
The point is that if we collectively publish route data to our trip reports, Google maps WILL HAVE TRAILS! And, they will be updated and notated continually. To try this: go to Google maps. Pull down the tab for user created content, then search.