Forum Index > Trip Reports > Glacier Basin 7-6-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 8:26 pm 
Glacier Basin 7-6-08 Slept in today and with the weather being on and off this holiday weekend I really wanted to get hiking. I’d been laid up with flu/cold for almost 2 weeks. Decided on solo hike to Sunrise and then decided on Glacier Basin trail. None of this was planned out at all, which is so not the norm for me. Usually I spend a good week reading trip reports, checking weather and seeing who will be accompanying me. Not today. I was truly surprised by the devastation of trail. WTA or Rainer has done a great job with re-routing. There is no way you can get lost if you just follow the caution tape. Lots to see on this trail, waterfalls, raging river, snow melting, flowers emerging, bugs (not yet) but they are a coming. I saw lots of hikers preparing for summit, day hikers, and skiers all enjoying the trail with me. It was truly a spectacular day to be out, not too hot, no rain, breeze just when you needed it, clouds in and out with pee-a-boo views all day. This was my first hike of the season at Sunrise. I absolutely love Sunrise, it’s one of the most beautiful places on earth. With Berkley Park, Grand Park, Frozen Lake, Palisades Lakes, Summerland, Mount Freemont Lookout, just a few of my favorites. The grass is so green, and the flowers pop with color, the mountain glistens in all the right places. I get goose bumps every time I drive to the top and see the mountain. It makes me glad to be alive and able to hike more and more. All I keep thinking of is the next hike I will do and when. I’m sure many of you can relate to this? Rainer is just such a spectacular place if you have never been I suggest you get in your car and make the trip immediately, if you haven’t been to Sunrise in a while, it’s time. I promise you won’t be disappointed.
Rainer 004
Rainer 004
Climbers ahead of me
Climbers ahead of me
Great trail work!
Great trail work!
Rainer 011
Rainer 011
Rainer 028
Rainer 028
Flowers growing in the water
Flowers growing in the water
Glacier Basin Trail 7/6/08
Glacier Basin Trail 7/6/08
Rainer 039
Rainer 039
Rainer 042
Rainer 042
Rainer 054
Rainer 054
Crevas
Crevas
Rainer 064
Rainer 064
Skiers
Skiers
Rainer 074
Rainer 074
Beargrass with ant
Beargrass with ant
Lillies
1 label
Lillies
Follow the Yellow Caution Tape
Follow the Yellow Caution Tape
Rainer 094
Rainer 094
Waterfall on Glacier Basin Trail
Waterfall on Glacier Basin Trail
Rainer 098
Rainer 098
Spectacular
Spectacular
Rainer 100
Rainer 100
Sunrise
Sunrise

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 8:39 pm 
Good trip report and photos!! up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Jul 06, 2008 9:23 pm 
Those are some amazing shots of the devastation on that (former) trail. Thanks for sharing those. It's so nice to see Sunrise open...I've been itching to get back up there since October!!!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"