Forum Index > Trip Reports > Julember at Lk. Augusta & Point 7571' - 07.04.08-07.06.08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 11:59 am 
JimK wrote:
Opus, you left that warm and strong Nallo at home?
Yep, sitting nice and safe on my kitchen table. doh.gif I put both out on the table and decided in the morning the forecast seemed good enough for the Tarptent. Boy was I kicking myself that night! We were waiting for the tent to implode but it held up to the worst of it, even when hit from the side. I was already carrying Karen's 4 lb sleeping bag on top of my gear so saving those extra pounds seemed like a good idea at home. Aside from the hole in the vestibule damage seems minimal though. I'm going to clean it up later and reseal all the seams before I turn a garden hose loose on it to check for leaks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 12:06 pm 
JimK had mentioned that every TR he has read mentions the wind, but I didn't recall if there was wind on the trip PiB and I took to Lk Augusta a couple o' years ago. We tacked onto Fred Beavon's trip report to Big Jim on this site, so I looked it up and and found this quote from me:
Quark wrote:
It was very windy at the Lake all night.
Guess everyone has a windy night at Lk Augusta.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 12:33 pm 
From the looks of Todd's pack, I would say he needs to investigate some smaller, lighter gear! paranoid.gif It looked like a TrailPair summit curse kind of weekend. rolleyes.gif Opus, I can see you are enjoing your new macro zoom....good flower photos! cool.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 12:46 pm 
Opus wrote:
JimK wrote:
Opus, you left that warm and strong Nallo at home?
Yep, sitting nice and safe on my kitchen table. doh.gif I put both out on the table and decided in the morning the forecast seemed good enough for the Tarptent. Boy was I kicking myself that night! We were waiting for the tent to implode but it held up to the worst of it, even when hit from the side. I was already carrying Karen's 4 lb sleeping bag on top of my gear so saving those extra pounds seemed like a good idea at home. Aside from the hole in the vestibule damage seems minimal though. I'm going to clean it up later and reseal all the seams before I turn a garden hose loose on it to check for leaks.
Opus, I feel your pain. Just Todd and I took our MSR Missing Link on our trip this weekend (it uses 2 trekking poles and guy line to string it out). 4 of us were in our tent playing cards when a big gust knocked one of the trekking poles loose. Needless to say, we moved the tent to a more sheltered area (fewer views)...I have to say that this Missing Link has been pummeled (we were hammered on Larch Knob last year above Spider Meadows) and it isn't any worse for wear...yet.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 3:49 pm 
I forgot to mention this earlier: Todd lost his fleece sweatshirt on this trip, likely in the trailhead parking lot. It is dark green, men's size small, w/a collar zip (as seen in the crazy morning hair pic). So if anyone goes there soon pls. pick it up! up.gif (I'll also post in the Lost & Found section.) Also, Todd found some sunglasses along the trail a little bit before the high meadow. If they are yours pls. PM me. Thanks! biggrin.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
MidLifeHiker

MidLifeHiker
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 9:18 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk, I must have passed you on my way into the lake. I passed three couples within about a mile from the ridge. Also I saw a group of three leaving the lake while I was having lunch at the lake. I'm not going to add many pictures, since your pictures look better than mine anyway. My GPS said the trip was about 16 miles round trip and just shy of 5000 feet vertical with all the ups and downs. This was a nice day hike, but on the upper limit for my normal day trip. I wish I had headed in on Saturday and made it a two day trip. I would have liked to roam around on the ridges for a couple hours. Anyway here are just a couple pictures to add to your great pictures. I always like to have a pic of the trail head itself.
I loved the green valley before the lake.
Just another shot of the trout.
The lake with some blue sky.
The valley to the south looked interesting. Did anyone wonder down there and check it out?
Can't have too many waterfalls.
Here is the track log map for the trip.
Mark

Fred_Beavon

Fred_Beavon
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 9:48 pm 
Regarding the previously burned meadow area with the silver snags, I really enjoyed that area. When the wind blew, there was a whistling sound I didn't at first identify, then I realized it was just the wind blowing through the dead trees.

johncla

johncla
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 12:31 pm 
At the bottom of the TR, there is a photo which says it shows Lake Ida. There's nothing in the text about going over to Ida - that's a long way. When did you go to Lake Ida? And how did you get over there?

Joe

Joe
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 12:41 pm 
The photo that mentions Lake Ida, looks like Carter Lake to me. Edited: Lake Ida from near the outlet stream looking back at saddle that leads to Carter Lake
lake_ida3
lake_ida3

Joe
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 3:36 pm 
Another good photojournalistic trip report. Useful AND a lot of nice pics. Seems like everyone's finally getting into Summer with some enthusiasm!

friluftsliv
mbl

mbl
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 8:43 pm 
tent sites
1) How far up trail #1577 until you hit the meadows? I hiked on Monday, the 7th, 3.5 miles and was still in trees and steep trail-just past the first trail intesection( the Badlands). 2) How many tent sites at the Lake Augusta-or near the lake. If we show up this Friday night and another party is at the lake, are other spaces available? 3. How far past the Badlands trail intersection do you hit water?

dRoberts

dRoberts
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 8:46 pm 
Just thought this was funny, in the first TR Bloated Chimpmunk wrote:
Quote:
"In the morning Todd made oatmeal for himself, using his fireproof matches to light the stove. "
I didn't know they made fireproof matches. wink.gif

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Rom. 1:20
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 9:33 pm 
Re: tent sites
mbl wrote:
1) How far up trail #1577 until you hit the meadows? I hiked on Monday, the 7th, 3.5 miles and was still in trees and steep trail-just past the first trail intesection( the Badlands).
The meadows in the burned out area are about a mile past the Badlands junction, where the trail crosses over the ridge below Pt.6296. The meadows with all the creek cascades are much further along in the basin below Lake Augusta.
Quote:
2) How many tent sites at the Lake Augusta-or near the lake. If we show up this Friday night and another party is at the lake, are other spaces available?
I didn't explore all around the lake, but I'd say there are at least 8 good tent sites melted out. Ours was right along the lake shore, overlooking the meadows, to the left of the outlet. A couple sites on the right side of it, further in the trees. Some areas were signed "no camping" for restoration. I wouldn't think you'd have trouble finding a site.
Quote:
3. How far past the Badlands trail intersection do you hit water?
I'd say somewhere between 1.5 and 2 miles beyond we hit water. There is a small spring or creek where the trail leaves the burned out meadows.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 9:40 pm 
mbl wrote:
1) How far up trail #1577 until you hit the meadows? I hiked on Monday, the 7th, 3.5 miles and was still in trees and steep trail-just past the first trail intesection( the Badlands). 2) How many tent sites at the Lake Augusta-or near the lake. If we show up this Friday night and another party is at the lake, are other spaces available? 3. How far past the Badlands trail intersection do you hit water?
I did this last year. As I remember: 1. You hit meadows at the 6000' plateau, 1 mile S of (and 700' above) the Badlands turnoff. 2. Several sites at Augusta, but also possibly several parties. But there's more room (maybe horsier) around Cabin Creek below the lake. 3. A nice trailside "faucet" stream a few hundred feet below (before) the Badlands turnoff is a good place to fill up. Then I think there's water at Fall Creek 2 miles S of the Badlands turnoff. [Edit: pretty much like Opus said hockeygrin.gif ]

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 9:58 pm 
johncla wrote:
At the bottom of the TR, there is a photo which says it shows Lake Ida. There's nothing in the text about going over to Ida - that's a long way. When did you go to Lake Ida? And how did you get over there?
We didn't go to Lk. Ida. When we reached the ridge leading to Pt. 7571', Todd used the zoom feature on his camera to take a picture of a lk. down below where he saw some peeps hanging out. It might be Carter instead as its proximity to where we were makes sense, though on the map Carter is just a tiny speck so this lk. seemed bigger than that. confused.gif But since it looks/sounds like Joe's been to both lakes, I'll trust his judgment. wink.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.