Forum Index > Trip Reports > My birthday hike to Squire Creek Pass; July 6, 2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 5:26 pm 
After hiking up Davis Peak on Friday, and turning back below the top of Big Jim Mountain on Saturday, my dad wanted something a bit closer to home for Sunday. Mom suggested Squire Creek Pass via the Eightmile Trail. Dad and I had been there on July 9th 2006, and it was totally melted out that day so he figured it would be ok. embarassedlaugh.gif Mom drove up there, and the road was in ok shape. There were a couple places that would have been difficult with the Civic, but the truck had no problem. We stopped to look at Asbestos Creek Falls. Dad did not have to collect any asbestos samples though. We arrived at the trailhead to find two other vehicles. We started up the old roadbed and were immediately greeted by lots of blown down trees. I navigated through them quite easily, but mom and dad had troubles. It's easier when you're only a foot and a half tall hockeygrin.gif We eventually reached the trail, which was as steep as before, and wet too. Mom and dad had a hard time keeping up with me. You people might hike faster if you tried it on all fours. Two rock climbers passed us on their way down. The guy petted me, but since he didn't offer any treats, I growled and walked away. Shortly we arrived at the rock climbing area known as 3 O'Clock Rock, and it was only a little after noon! I found a snow patch to slide on. Of all the humans I have hiked with, only Bob of TrailPair seems to understand the snow rolling. You guys are missing out. agree.gif Mom found a snake as we were leaving 3 O'Clock Rock. They said it wasn't a rattler, but I hurried up the trail to be safe. eek.gif We crossed the creek safely, and found more snow patches at about 3,200 feet. Once we hit 3,550 feet, it was solid snow until the pass at 4,000 feet. We lost the trail, but dad got out his green paper, magnetic pointer and his height telling watch and led us to the pass. I could have done the same thing by just sniffing, but I'll let him think he is a good navigator. lol.gif The clouds were low and we had only views of the lower part of 3 Fingers. I'll call it 'The Palm' or maybe even 'The Wrist'. Mom and dad ate some lunch, gave me some treats and then sang 'Happy Birthday' to me. Then we played chase on the snow. They still can't catch me. We followed our footsteps and pawprints back to the trail, and safely made it back to the truck. Dad decided to drive back, and we completed the Mountain Loop Highway by going south to Barlow Pass. Mom and I had never been on this portion of the Mountain Loop Highway before. Now we have. If I was elected president, I would make it a priority to open up the damaged roads and trails in this area. Well, at least I would do it after eating my dinner, pooping, taking a nap, barking at the birds in the yard, taking another nap, chewing on my bone...what was I saying? While it was only 6 miles round trip and 2,300 feet of gain, it was a satisfying way to spend my birthday. up.gif Oh, here are some photos dad took with his camera:
Excitement at the trailhead
Excitement at the trailhead
Blowdowns
Blowdowns
Large sign and tiny dog
Large sign and tiny dog
3 O'Clock Rock
3 O'Clock Rock
Snow slide
Snow slide
More snow slide
More snow slide
Snake!
Snake!
Water on rocks
Water on rocks
Water on rocks
Water on rocks
Where's Jasper?
Where's Jasper?
Another snow patch
Another snow patch
Follow me mom
Follow me mom
Ridge above Squire Creek Pass
Ridge above Squire Creek Pass
Mom approaches
Mom approaches
Squire Creek Pass
Squire Creek Pass
Bottom of 3 Fingers
Bottom of 3 Fingers
I'm 4 now!
I'm 4 now!
Relaxing
Relaxing
Skunk cabbage
Skunk cabbage
Skunk cabbage
Skunk cabbage

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 6:06 pm 
Thanks Jasper for this trip report. Last time I went this way, it was almost unnavigable blowdown past three oclock rock. Has it been cleaned up, or did the snow make it passable?

Bad Dog

Bad Dog
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 6:31 pm 
Jasper, were you allowed to roll in some poop for your birthday? Holly birthday.gif wub.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Leopold
Let me out!

Leopold
Let me out!
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 6:38 pm 
Rolling in poop and snow is such a dog thing. On the other hand, a good roll in a pile of dirt and leaves is a fine thing. Meow!

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 6:53 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Thanks Jasper for this trip report. Last time I went this way, it was almost unnavigable blowdown past three oclock rock. Has it been cleaned up, or did the snow make it passable?
Magellan- Since Jasper is outside chasing his frisbee, I will try to answer. We went there in July 2006 and the trail was clear all the way to the pass. This year, the portion not snow covered after 3 O'Clock Rock was fairly easy to follow, with only a couple places where the trail was obscured or obliterated for a few feet. The lower portion (old roadbed) was a mess of blowdowns though. I tried to take more photos of it, but I couldn't see the forest for the downed trees. Only the one I posted came out unfuzzy. And Joanna/Holly- No poop for Jasper to roll in this trip. Just snow embarassedlaugh.gif

Knows literally nothing
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jul 07, 2008 7:02 pm 
I am glad to hear that the upper slopes have been cleared. The pass is a gem of a place. Now maybe they can build a parking area.

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 1:07 pm 
I forgot to add that we saw a beaver crossing the road just past...you guessed it...Beaver Creek Group Campground on the Mountain Loop Highway. I wanted to say hello, but dad just kept on driving rolleyes.gif