Forum Index > Trip Reports > Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit and Lake Register
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 12:54 pm 
Homes of the Olympic Mountain Traveling Summit and Lake Register: Oly the 1st: Buckhorn - Goats Gone Wild and HJT, retrieved by MtnWkr Oly Peak - MtnWkr, retrieved by Adrewzki Moose Peak - moosefish, retrieved by Ancient Ambler & Mtn John Grand View Peak - Ancient Ambler & Mtn John, retrieved by bobbi Mt. Jupiter - bobbi, retrieved by seattlehikertoo Mt. Rose - seattlehikertoo, retrieved by NWtrax Mt. Ellinor - NWtrax, retrieved by Shoo fly Colonel Bob - Shoo Fly (until it went missing in action) Oly the 2nd: Mt. Townsend - HJT, retrieved by HJT Welch Peak - HJT, retrieved by Jennifer S. and bobbi Maiden Peak - bobbi, Jennifer S, Jen's kids, Debbie, Cindy, retrieved by reststep Elk Mountain - reststep, retrieved by Captain Jack and Silly Traveller Blue Mountain- C.J./S.T., retrieved by Timmie and crabio Mount Zion - Crabio and Timmie, retrieved by ScottM Mt. Angeles - ScottM, retrieved by HJT Obstruction Peak - HJT, retrieved by bobbi, cindy songbird, & susie Ridge To Mt. Baldy - bobbi, Lisa & Neil, Debbie, retrieved by greendog Mt. Walker - bobbi, HJT, Lisa & Neil, retrieved by ADrewzki. Lower Lena Lake - ADrewzki, retrieved by Mossy Mom Ralph's New Place up on the Hill - Mossy Mom, retrieved by Olympic Hiker North Summit, Mt. Townsend - Olympic Hiker - retrieved by HiT Mt. Ellinor - HiT Oly the 3rd: Mt. Walker, North Summit - Hesman, retrieved by Ranger Rock Lower Lena Lake - Ranger Rock, retrieved by meck Mt. Muller - meck, retrieved by bobbi Lake Angeles - bobbi - retrieved by reststep Tyler Peak - reststep - retrieved by seekapeak Cub Peak - seekapeak - retrieved by meck Mt. Rose - meck - retrieved by Old Mountain Man Mt. Ellinor - old mountain man Missing in Action once again Oly the 4th: Valhalla Peak - reststep - retrieved by bobbi, blaze, bonita Eagle Point - bobbi & bonita - retrieved by Hesman Obstruction Point - Hesman - retrieved by meck (former) Lake Mills - meck - retrieved by bobbi Striped Peak - bobbi & Blaze - retrieved by reststep Green Mountain (Olympic National Park between Deer Park and Maiden Peak) - reststep - retrieved by reststep Silver Lakes Peak Buckhorn Wilderness (Peak 6030 above Silver Lake) - reststep: retrieved by bobbi, Michelle, and Cindy Bogachiel Peak-bobbi and Cindy E, retrieved it since no one else wanted to get it! Glines Canyon-bobbi * retrieved the register and placed it somewhere else. let me know if interested or just end it! Please link to OMTSR TR's to this thread if they are not posted within the Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit Register thread.

Wiki summmary last edited by bobbi on Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:53 am (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 8:50 pm 
TR i placed OM on the summit of mt. jupiter. i once again had to make the summit alone frown.gif as my hiking buddy, kate, decided to stop 1/2 mile or so from the summit and returned to a spot where one can see jupiter lake to wait for me. i found a spot to place OM, took photos, got eaten by mosquitos, checked the view, grabbed a quick snack, and headed down.
mt. jupiter
mt. jupiter
mt. jupiter
mt. jupiter
i was probably 1/2 mile or so from the summit when this guy was coming (running eek.gif ) up the trail. i asked who he was and he was hesitant for a minute. i asked if he was seattlehikertoo. yes he was. he had shot out a PM to let me know that he will be coming today to retrieve OM. i showed him the photos of where i laid OM. we yakked some and off i went to find kate. i figure at his speed he'll catch up with the old ladies pretty quick agree.gif this has got to be the shortest stay of any register on a summit! kate and i just got back to the truck when seattlehikertoo made it back. he's young biggrin.gif here's our photo
mt. jupiter
1 label
mt. jupiter
after chatting more about hiking, money, etc. we said our goodbyes. it was wonderful meeting another nwhikers.net member! hockeygrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 9:17 pm 
Mesahchie Mark wrote:
The NW Hikers Traveling Summit Register now has a new perch atop Red Mountain, just north of Snoqualmie Pass. It took the combined resources of 13 TNAB'ers to place the register, as we encountered snow-obscurred trails through Commonwealth Basin, contentious creek crossings, and copious loose rock (on Red itself). The identities of the guilty party and their nefarious deeds will be captured in a full trip report soon. For now, here are a couple pics:
Cheers! -Mark
the nwhikers traveling summit register has been on Red Mountain for a month. unsure if any TNABer will be going back before their season is over or another nwhiker to retrieve it. Red mountain has loose rocks. it's recommended to wear a helmet! one has to be careful if there are climbers on the summit or above you. that includes your own climbing party if you don't go solo. note that not every TNABer are wearing helmets. safety first! we really want to make this fun for anyone wanting to retrieve the olympic mountains traveling summit register. placing the register on a peak that's 20 mile RT is a bit much. granted, Adrewzki, no one has to get it if it's too much of a distance but why make it difficult. please, think twice before you even respond like 'whatever', etc. yes, 14 miles is a guideline-i'm just saying, please, let's keep it reasonable. thanks!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 9:44 pm 
bcfc53 wrote:
we really want to make this fun for anyone wanting to retrieve the olympic mountains traveling summit register. placing the register on a peak that's 20 mile RT is a bit much. granted, Adrewzki, no one has to get it if it's too much of a distance but why make it difficult. please, think twice before you even respond like 'whatever', etc. yes, 14 miles is a guideline-i'm just saying, please, let's keep it reasonable. thanks!
I'm not saying 'whatever' to be indifferent. I'm saying it because I'm getting tired of nitpicking over 0.2mi or 0.4mi. I'm definitely not trying to offend anyone or piss anyone off. You don't have to place it on a peak that's intentionally difficult but you also shouldn't make it easy. It should be a reward for a path well traveled, you know?

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 9:50 pm 
bcfc53, Your reference to the "NWHTSR" being on Red Mtn. for a month is incorrect, just to bring you up to date, it has been on Galleon Mtn. sense the 17th of July. See quote below for details. Cheers! Richard
don b wrote:
OK, it's in a new place. Galleon Mountain, number 77 on the Home Court list. Puzzlr and I were planning a 2 day trip to Treen and East Garfield (I'm sure he will do a report on that trip) and so I needed a little exercise last Saturday. I was at the Pass so Red Mtn it was. Looking over the views I remembered Mike Collins' report on Floating Rock and Galleon, immediately adjacent to my next trip so I thought perhaps they could combine into one. Unfortunately we ran out of time on Tuesday but I still wanted to do these other two peaks so today I went back. In addition to Floating Rock and Galleon I wanted to visit many of the lakes up there so I didn't follow Mikes usual stellar directions. Instead I came directly from Quartz Lake so I couldn't exactly tell where I was as I neared the summit. Something didn't seem quite right and when I pulled over the top I saw another peak NNW about the same elevation. Which was the summit? Fortunately there was a single register with Peak Bagging All Stars, Stefan,Martin,Dicey, Cartman and Randy there to confirm that this was the summit. So, check out Mikes excellent WTA report for full particulars. I found Floating Rock quite a bit more technical so you may want to consider that. It might be hard to use his exit route as an approach but it was fine on the way out. I hope someone will soon get the full Middle Fork Love Session complete with brush pulling, duff kicking and excellent views.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 9:59 pm 
correction noted thanks but did you see who got it? don b up.gif i was really using the difficulty of Red. almost a month on galleon mtn. (i think someone may get it, puzzlr?) and ed miller's register is still on mt. hinman since june ( i think) Adrewzki:You don't have to place it on a peak that's intentionally difficult but you also shouldn't make it easy. It should be a reward for a path well traveled, you know? it's not a matter of difficult or easy. it's enjoyment and that's the reward. but i'm done..

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 10:10 pm 
bcfc53 wrote:
mt. jupiter
1 label
mt. jupiter
it was wonderful meeting another nwhikers.net member! hockeygrin.gif
Great picture! Way to go, bc!!! You did it again. hockeygrin.gif up.gif Congratulations to you, seattlehikertoo. up.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 10:25 pm 
thanks goats!! you were there in spirit biggrin.gif OM's home #5: Buckhorn - Goats Gone Wild and HJT, retrieved by MtnWkr Peak 6559 - MtnWkr, retrieved by Adrewzki Moose Peak - Moosefish, retrieved by Ancient Ambler & Mtn John Peak 6701 - Ancient Ambler & Mtn John, retrieve by bcfc53 mt. jupiter - bcfc53, retrieved by seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 11:35 pm 
Thank you bc for the company, conversation, and the TR. I hike by myself quite a bit so it was a nice change. I had such a late start (I wasn't hiking until after 1:15p because I couldn't catch the ferry until after 10a), but except for the 2 backpackers, there was no one else but us...Still made the summit around 3p... I took about 100 pics. I will make the selects and get them up asap, hopefully by tomorrow night they will be up. Too bad it got so socked in at the summit. I diddled around up there for nearly an hour looking for shots and hoping for a sunbreak or 2 to see the views everyone raves about in the register. I took some fog shots, cliff shots, and some of a wildflower I have never seen before on the way down. NEXT DESTINATION: bc - Since I retrieved the register so soon, I think it is only fair to let you list your top 3. I think we talked about Baldy and Rose + a few others. I will place it on one of those.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 7:02 am 
you are so sweet to assign me the placing of OM's next summit destination. up.gif mt. rose is in the southeast olympics - i'm sure our members there would love the opportunity to retrieve it and place it elsewhere. agree.gif i guess with the super quick retrieval of OM on mt. jupiter, no other summit bagger (nwhikers or otherwise) got a chance to sign it. how about signing some fake names? lol.gif summitsRus, mt. rainier, WA; thubten from kathmandu, nepal; Rumdoodle; flatlander@topeka, KS. awaiting retrieval photos of OM on mt. jupiter. biggrin.gif

reststep

reststep
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 7:05 am 
Congrats bcfc53. The register wasn't there long. That happened with the other traveling register on Yellow Aster Butte. Link 2nd post down

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 7:33 am 
thank you reststep up.gif that's funny - NB had Tomyhoi and YAB, eek.gif i believe OM only managed a very quick nap of mt. jupiter. the NWHTSR managed to meditate on YAB biggrin.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 7:54 pm 
if you are reading this, seattlehikertoo, mt. rose is a great choice for OMs new home!

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 9:10 pm 
Hello OMTR fans...I have made my photo selects, and will be uploading them tonight as promised. I have decided to put the register on top of Mt Walker. This way you don't even have to hike to get it. biggrin.gif doh.gif dizzy.gif lol.gif hockeygrin.gif lol.gif hockeygrin.gif Nah...Save that one for after the Brothers...Sorry, I couldn't resist after the all the quibbling lately... Btw, Who is "pest?"

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 9:23 pm 
pest is the queen of mount rose!!

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 10:07 pm 
I've finally put up a trip report for the placement on Moose Peak. Better late than never? https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=404976