Forum Index > Trip Reports > Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit and Lake Register
Previous :: Next Topic  
wiki summary

This wiki post can be edited by any member

wiki summary

This wiki post can be edited by any member
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 12:54 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Homes of the Olympic Mountain Traveling Summit and Lake Register:

Oly the 1st:
Buckhorn - Goats Gone Wild and HJT, retrieved by MtnWkr
Oly Peak - MtnWkr, retrieved by Adrewzki
Moose Peak - moosefish, retrieved by Ancient Ambler & Mtn John
Grand View Peak - Ancient Ambler & Mtn John, retrieved by bobbi
Mt. Jupiter - bobbi, retrieved by seattlehikertoo
Mt. Rose - seattlehikertoo, retrieved by NWtrax
Mt. Ellinor - NWtrax, retrieved by Shoo fly
Colonel Bob - Shoo Fly (until it went missing in action)

Oly the 2nd:
Mt. Townsend - HJT, retrieved by HJT
Welch Peak - HJT, retrieved by Jennifer S. and bobbi
Maiden Peak - bobbi, Jennifer S, Jen's kids, Debbie, Cindy, retrieved by reststep
Elk Mountain - reststep, retrieved by Captain Jack and Silly Traveller
Blue Mountain- C.J./S.T., retrieved by Timmie and crabio
Mount Zion - Crabio and Timmie, retrieved by ScottM
Mt. Angeles - ScottM, retrieved by HJT
Obstruction Peak - HJT, retrieved by bobbi, cindy songbird, & susie
Ridge To Mt. Baldy -  bobbi, Lisa & Neil, Debbie, retrieved by greendog
Mt. Walker - bobbi, HJT, Lisa & Neil, retrieved by ADrewzki.
Lower Lena Lake - ADrewzki, retrieved by Mossy Mom
Ralph's New Place up on the Hill - Mossy Mom, retrieved by Olympic Hiker
North Summit, Mt. Townsend - Olympic Hiker - retrieved by HiT
Mt. Ellinor - HiT

Oly the 3rd:
Mt. Walker, North Summit - Hesman, retrieved by Ranger Rock
Lower Lena Lake - Ranger Rock, retrieved by meck
Mt. Muller - meck, retrieved by bobbi
Lake Angeles - bobbi - retrieved by reststep
Tyler Peak - reststep - retrieved by seekapeak
Cub Peak - seekapeak - retrieved by meck
Mt. Rose - meck - retrieved by Old Mountain Man
Mt. Ellinor - old mountain man
Missing in Action once again

Oly the 4th:
Valhalla Peak - reststep - retrieved by bobbi, blaze, bonita
Eagle Point - bobbi & bonita - retrieved by Hesman
Obstruction Point - Hesman - retrieved by meck
(former) Lake Mills - meck - retrieved by bobbi
Striped Peak - bobbi & Blaze

Please link to OMTSR TR's to this thread if they are not posted within the Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit Register thread.

Wiki summmary last edited by bobbi on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:38 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
reststep

reststep
PostSun Sep 25, 2016 11:49 am 
up.gif

meck wrote:
I'm not sure yet where it will end up next.... I'm open to suggestions.

This is kind of off the wall but for some reason Little Lena came to mind.

--------------
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Hesman

Hesman
PostThu Sep 29, 2016 5:17 pm 
The summit register ought to be banned from being left on Mt. Ellinor since it always goes missing while there.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
meck

meck
PostThu Sep 29, 2016 6:45 pm 
Thanks for the suggestion reststep!  I was actually just past the lake on Sunday (climbed the Brothers) and was thinking about that knob.  Unfortunately due to work obligations I'm not likely to be able to get the register placed in a new spot until mid to late October, but I like that location since it should be accessible in most weather conditions.

@ Hesman: agreed, the summit of Ellinor should be skipped! (unless of course someone squirrels it away on the highpoint just NE across that small upper basin).

--------------
*pain is just your body telling you "you're doing it wrong"*
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
meck

meck
PostSat Jan 07, 2017 9:15 pm 
Ok, well after going on numerous trips with me, I finally placed Oly#4 at..... the old Lake Mills/Elwha (east side overlook, along the way to Whiskey Bend, hidden down in the lake bed area).  Given the recent, and expected weather, I figured this should be an OK location as anyone can get to Lake Mills, and it is a pleasant stroll in the snow from the park entrance.

I got a late start, arriving at the gated park entrance at 1230 (warning: the parking area was a sheet of ice).  The road in to the Ranger Station was either bare, covered in a thin layer of ice, or hard pack snow (maybe 1/2"); traction would be handy but not yet required.  The weather was great today.  The views from the overlook of the old lake bed were very nice with the sun glinting off the winding Elwha river.

I dropped down to the lake bed via the trail, then meandered down near the Glines Canyon entrance (that bright rusty looking area just along the river bank) for lunch.  I then headed south along the river bank until I could no longer continue (where there is nothing but near vertical rock face meeting the river's edge).

I was back to the TH as the final light was fading for the day.

As a side note, I've taken Oly #4 to the following locations since collecting him in Sept: Mt Townsend

around Wynoochee Lake

Buck Mountain (Elbo Creek)

Dosewallips Ranger Station

Madrone Vista on Chuckanut Mtn (near Bellingham) [no pics]
South Mountain

Green Mtn (Kitsap County)

and around the Shady Lane-Rapids Loop trail down near Staircase

Just send me a PM when you want to retrieve it and I will send the pics of its location.

--------------
reststep

reststep
PostSat Jan 07, 2017 10:46 pm 
up.gif   up.gif

--------------
Hesman

Hesman
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 9:39 am 
Interesting orange stuff coming from the ground.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
reststep

reststep
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 10:03 am 
What is that orange stuff?

--------------
meck

meck
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 10:17 am 
I have no idea what the orange stuff was.  I check a bit of it and it almost felt/looked like fine particle rust in water (as opposed to some sort of algae) but I was not sure.  It was visible in a couple locations along the river's edge.  The most obvious location was near the dam site, but I spotted at least two other locations on the west side of the river bank further upstream (south).  There were a couple of other locations upstream where old tree trunks were stained orange but there was nothing on the ground nearby indicating a source.

--------------
Hesman

Hesman
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 11:35 am 
I went and explored that area a little over 2 years ago when the park first opened it up to the plublic after the dam removal was finished and I don't remember seeing anything remotely orange like meck did. I wouldn't be surprised if the last 2 winters and the first half of this one have washed enough stuff away for whatever is making the orange appear come to surface easier.

It reminds me of some pictures I've seen of the geothermal pools at Yellowstone. Maybe that is what it is since the Olympic Hot Springs aren't too far away and the fault line the Olympic Hot Springs are on probably runs pretty close to where the orange seeps are.

--------------
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 4:39 pm 
I've seen similar or same seeps on the webcams.

Typically orange seeps like that are naturally occurring iron oxides. Sometimes the iron is not fully reduced before emerging.

Best.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 5:34 pm 
awesome up.gif

--------------
bobbi ૐ

"Today is your day!  Your mountain is waiting.  So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Hesman

Hesman
PostWed Feb 08, 2017 6:24 pm 
Saw that the Olympic Hot Springs Road has been reopened to vehicles. Whiskey Bend Road is still closed because of snow and downed trees, but ought to be a little easier to get the register.

--------------
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Nov 01, 2017 7:33 pm 
is the register still at the elwha, dam area?

--------------
bobbi ૐ

"Today is your day!  Your mountain is waiting.  So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
meck

meck
PostWed Nov 01, 2017 9:06 pm 
I have not removed it, so hopefully it is still there.  I was going to go get it and move it elsewhere in the next month or so if no one else goes for it.

--------------
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 12:45 pm 
dang, i've been up the elwha several times and keep forgetting about the register.

keep me posted, meck, if you decide to get it and i will do the same, plus i'll need more info on its whereabouts.

stay warm, everyone!

--------------
bobbi ૐ

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit and Lake Register
  Happy Birthday Lead Dog, dzane, The Lead Dog!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: