Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Grammatical anomolies
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tooron

tooron
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 6:16 pm 
I have thought about this off and on so now I am thinking about it soo much I need to post. If we change to to too to indicate too many why don't we change so to soo to indicate soo many?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tooron

tooron
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 6:22 pm 
So sue me. biggrin.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 6:27 pm 
Quote:
A folish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
You gotta get that extra "o" from somewhere...

touron

touron
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 6:48 pm 
Not difficult if you know where to go...

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 6:54 pm 
I'm intrigued by "that that," as in "Della indicated that that silly incident changed her mind about imprisoning the paramecium." Of course you could do without the first "that," but that would require backtracking in order to understand the sentence. English does that often enough anyway; no sense creating it unnecessarily.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Canuck

Canuck
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 6:57 pm 
ykm.gif That's hilarious! My son & I just watched that twice. I love that guy. Now he's walking around saying "riiiiiight..." lol.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 7:27 pm 
Several people at work frequently say "the problem is is..." and it drives me nuts nuts.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 8:11 pm 
Quark wrote:
"Della indicated that that silly incident changed her mind about imprisoning the paramecium."
Where the hell did that (that) come from? It fascinates me that in the history of the English language, that sentence has probably never been created before. Google gives no results for "imprisoning the paramecium."

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 8:48 pm 
I'm just apalled that I know what a paremecium is.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
touron

touron
PostTue Jul 08, 2008 10:16 pm 
Canuck wrote:
ykm.gif That's hilarious! My son & I just watched that twice. I love that guy. Now he's walking around saying "riiiiiight..." lol.gif
Canuck, we got the Sesame Street alphabet record when I was little. I remember the O song fromt that. I also remember my little brother saying "riiiiiiiighht..." and me totally cracking up from the way he said it. We shared the same room, and when it was time to go to sleep....we often didn't, but instead talked in whispers for maybe an hour or so (if we weren't throwing stuffed animals through the darkness at eachother). Some times we might sing the Sesame Street songs, or sometimes we would recite stories or sing the songs off our Brer Rabbit LP, or just make up stories. If we got talking or laughing too hard, we might hear faint footsteps down the hall, or maybe a floorboard creak outside the room paranoid.gif , and then see a shadow loom under the door, blocking out the slit of light. At that time, one of us would quickly whisper "Sha!" which was code for "Shaddup!" If we didn't shaddup quickly enough, the door would suddenly open, and the boom would be lowered. If your kid likes the O song, he might like the rest of their alphabet songs that are on this cd (Oscar's B sandwich, Sammy the Snake...). I don't know if they have the dvd or not. Heck, it might be a good opportunity for all nwhikers to brush up on their alphabet. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Canuck

Canuck
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 8:38 am 
Thanks for the tip - we'll listen to some samples from that tonight & see. He's nearly 6, and keeps telling me he's too old for Sesame Street... yet last night we not only watched the "O" song a few times, but the rest of the Ernie & the Salesman clips too, and he loved them all (personally I liked the invisible ice cream cone one myself lol.gif ). Your nights sounded just like the ones I had with my big sister. We'd whisper & giggle all night too. She used to have an invisible machine that she'd click some "data" into, and turn herself into somebody else. So every night I'd have conversations with somebody new - once I even got to "meet" Nancy Drew. I was little, that's my excuse. biggrin.gif For us it wasn't the shadow under the door, it was the sound of my dad's recliner closing up, then the heavy footsteps down the hall!!

Gil

Gil
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 8:55 am 
I'm appalled by the misspelling of anomalies. Also, Quark, what say you of Fowler's demand: "Euphony demands that 'that that' should become 'that which', even when the words are separated"?

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 9:11 am 
Gil wrote:
I'm appalled by the misspelling of anomalies. Also, Quark, what say you of Fowler's demand: "Euphony demands that 'that that' should become 'that which', even when the words are separated"?
Hmmm....I'm not a good grammarian, but the sentence could be Della indicated that silly incident is the one which changed her mind about imprisoning the paramecium. But then the question is which silly incident? Answer: That silly incident. Still too much brain tracking. (I thank God I'm a native speaker) I hope to be accepted to the UW's editing prgram in September and learn all about grammar.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 10:47 am 
MCaver wrote:
Several people at work frequently say "the problem is is..." and it drives me nuts nuts.
"The problem is, is" so now they will have say comma between the is...is... hockeygrin.gif that that, ate eight, what what, is is ...... dizzy.gif

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 09, 2008 11:10 am 
I love the name of the Van Halen album, OU812. And every time I hear the phrase, "what it is," I'm reminded of black slang when I was in high school in Detroit. Blacks greeted each other by saying, "what it is, man; what it is." I love it! I can't pull off saying cool stuff like that.