Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mallard Larkins, Clearwater Natl Forest, Idaho
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
napalmer927

napalmer927
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 8:55 am 
I went up the Black Mtn Trail on July 20, 2019. Up to the lookout was in very good condition. Black Lake Trail over to the Nub Connector was faint and difficult to follow at times. From here I went over to Isabella Creek, and those 2 miles were a little overgrown towards the end, but not too bad. I only remember one big blowdown. Down the Isabella Creek Trail, it was overgrown in spots with a few big blowdowns, but none that were hard to get over. Easy to follow with multiple creek crossings. Stayed dry by rock hopping. Up Elmer Creek Trail, there was recent trail work done and it was in great condition up until the last water crossing. Maybe a mile before Smith Ridge. For the next quarter mile, I didn't see any sign of a trail and had to do some serious bushwhacking. Once I was through that part, the trail was faint up to the ridge but easy to follow. From here all the way back to the Nub Trail past Larkins Peak and Heart Lake, it's free and clear. This seems to be the most popular stretch in the area, and all the side trails looked well maintained/worn as well. The trail up to the Nub was in good shape, and the first mile or so on the way down was clear. However, from there most of the way to the road at the bottom, it was very overgrown with 3 foot high vegetation. I managed to stay on trail the whole time, but it was pretty slow going. Hopefully the Forest Service has plans to clear the Nub Trail this year, but it might not get enough use to be a priority. Overall, this double loop is 45 miles and it took me just over 15 hours to complete.

IG: @wildidahoendurance, @alpacabdirte
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 10:19 am 
Good to see your report. I have unfinished business on Black and The Nub. I was curious about the condition of the connector trail. thanks. up.gif Awesome area! I had my first trip up there last fall. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8028366

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message