Forum Index > Trip Reports > (Sun baked) TREASURE HUNT on Desolation Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Jun 29, 2008 4:39 pm 
THIS JUST IN - for all you would-be Treasure Hunters, Opus has to cancel his trip to Desolation - so, there's an opportunity, here for you to strike it rich. Check the clues below and go for it! Here's your chance to hit "Pay Dirt"! désōlātiōn- (s. of désōlātiō) abandonment verb, noun or adjective, the reality is, this is one HOT hike eek.gif in the blazing sun and you'll feel like you've been abandoned at the doorstep of Hades! huh.gif (Note to self: DO NOT start a 4500' gain/13 mile hike at almost Noon on a 96 degree day! shakehead.gif Dumb, very dumb! rolleyes.gif ) Joanna recommended this hike, because it was likely to be snow-free and after our miserable, failed attempt last weekend on Lookout Mtn., we wanted an overnight that wouldn't have us lugging crampons and ice axes. We knew it was likely to be warm, but we planned an early start - good idea, because there are only 5 permits for the camping area where we were headed - Lightening Creek on Ross Lake. As of late Friday afternoon, none of the five had been taken - but there were no guarantees and you have to pick up the permit in person. So we agreed to meet at the Marblemount National Park Service Visitor Center to pick up the permit by 7:00 a.m.(!) That meant, we had to leave Seattle at 5:00 a.m. Fortunately, Trail Pair (Bob and Kolleen) got to the Visitor Center a little before 7:00 a.m. - there already was a line-up. And, by the time Bad Dog (Joanna), Middle E (Barry) and the driver (Suzanne) (plus two dogs - Holly and Gus) arrived at about 7:15 a.m., the permits were gone! Bob and Kolleen were having a little breakfast - we had plenty of time to get to the boat landing for our 9:45 a.m. pick-up. We opted for taking the water taxi (Arrange through Ross Lake Resort). It's $100 each way for up to 6 people and 2 dogs. It's either that, or walk 16 miles EACH way to Lightening Creek. If you have the taxi drop you off at the Desolation trailhead - it's $110 each way, but there is no where to camp here - you would either need to take your stuff up about 3000' to the upper basin campsite or walk back to Lightening Creek 2.1 miles. We arrived at the parking area (it's signed and located between milepost 134 and 135 on Highway 20) at about 8:30 a.m.
Who's going to carry all this stuff?
Who's going to carry all this stuff?
Gus will!
Gus will!
This would be Gus' first backpacking/overnight trip. He sure didn't seem to mind the pack (maybe he knew his food was in the bags!) It's a mile walk from the parking area to the boat landing.
Bad dog-3 heading down the trail
Bad dog-3 heading down the trail
Leashed up
Leashed up
Boat landing - resort behind in the distance
Boat landing - resort behind in the distance
You just call the resort and let them know you're there (a phone is near the landing for you to use). Soon, Carol or "driver" was there to get us.
Carol, our taxi driver
Carol, our taxi driver
Holly trying not to think about the boat ride!
Holly trying not to think about the boat ride!
Out paddling around
Out paddling around
Heading away from the dock
Heading away from the dock
We knew it was going to be hot, but we had no idea just how hot.
Gus finds the lake
Gus finds the lake
There were a couple of folks at the campsite, but they were heading out, so we had the pick of the spots and found one close to the lake and with enough room for all of us.
Multi-family housing
Multi-family housing
Holly on the anti-bear storage unit
Holly on the anti-bear storage unit
After setting up camp, we got started on the trail. You have to head south (back towards the horse camp area/lakeshore trail) in order to pick up the trail towards Desolation. It was a little after 11:00 a.m. and already hot - and we were in the trees!
Junction with lake side (East Bank)  trail
Junction with lake side (East Bank) trail
Junction from campsite to trail towards the lookout
Junction from campsite to trail towards the lookout
The first 2.1 miles contour the lakeshore and the trail is fairly gentle - almost more down than up on this stretch. You cross two water possibilities. The second one, about 1.5 miles into the trail, is the best with the greatest volume of water - and pretty cool.
Creek at about 1.5 miles in
Creek at about 1.5 miles in
Cool spot
Cool spot
The trail is still mostly in the trees, with occasional views.
Views down lake
Views down lake
In a little more than a half-mile, we reached the junction with the Desolation trailhead from the Lake.
Junction with trail that comes up from the Lake
Junction with trail that comes up from the Lake
We knew the grade would start getting steeper, but we would be in the trees for a while. There were quite a few flowers in bloom and something I call "sea foam" that has a pungent aroma. Here are some we ran across.
Columbine
Columbine
Indian Paintbrush
Indian Paintbrush
Yellow violet
Yellow violet
Wild Rose
Wild Rose
Phlox
Phlox
Wild strawberries
Wild strawberries
flower
flower
Honeysuckle
Honeysuckle
After the junction, the trail climbs. Both of the dogs were getting really hot.
Taking a break
Taking a break
Gus had to stop several times to just take a breather and get some water. Fortunately, I had plenty of water for him and for me. After the junction, there are two more spots of running water. The first is nothing more than spring out of the ground.
Hitting the pool
Hitting the pool
And the second one has actual running water. But this is when you are still in the trees, so be aware, TAKE PLENTY OF WATER! Because from here on up, there is no more water - with the exception of the snow patches that we would run into at 5400'. Just before we reached the last water, Joanna and I were behind the others and we had just crossed over some blowdown, when we heard a cracking noise and Joanna instinctively ran up the trail, when a fraction of a second later, a couple of skinny trees crashed across the trail! paranoid.gif We had no idea why they fell - but they barely missed her! We stopped for a lunch/snack break just before leaving the trees - it was almost 2:00 p.m. by now and we still had another 2 miles and about 1800' to go. It was HOT!
Barry heading up open, south facing slope
Barry heading up open, south facing slope
Color along the trail
Color along the trail
View to southwest
View to southwest
We met two guys who were on their way down - they were staying at the Resort and wisely started the hike much earlier in the morning! Barry was well-ahead of the rest of us - he waited for us at the upper basin campsite area.
Taken BEFORE the driver had the wine
Taken BEFORE the driver had the wine
Here was where we found our first snow.
First patch of snow - - - ahhhhhh!
First patch of snow - - - ahhhhhh!
It's a nice camping spot, but won't have any water once the snow has melted.
Campsite at 5400'
Campsite at 5400'
"dogs" chillin' in the snow
Jack, Little Jack and Ross Lake - looking south/southwest
Jack, Little Jack and Ross Lake - looking south/southwest
We went back to the main trail heading up to the lookout and crossed a few snow patches - they were actually quite welcome, but they won't be there for long. You basically are walking up a ridge as you head to the lookout - you can't see the trail, but it's there.
Lookout in the distance
Lookout in the distance
Before you make the final 1/2 mile, you will drop down about 100' then regain it for the last push to the top.
Coming up on Lookout
Coming up on Lookout
Barry and Joanna at the summit
Barry and Joanna at the summit
Joanna with clouds to the north in the distance - only ones we would see
Joanna with clouds to the north in the distance - only ones we would see
Bob and Kolleen reaching the lookout
Bob and Kolleen reaching the lookout
Sign marker on top
Sign marker on top
This was a hang-out for Jack Kerouac many years ago - - I don't know if this sign has any relationship or not to those days . . .
Sign to ward off molesters
Sign to ward off molesters
We took our time relaxing on top - it was a bit cooler here, but still toasty - we sat on the north/shady side of the lookout.
Dude on ice
Dude on ice
Family picture time
Family picture time
Group shot #2
Group shot #2
Knowing that Opus (David) is thinking about making this trip next weekend, we thought we would leave him a little something and give him a hint (he wasn't very successful last year on Townsend when we tried to reward him for making it to the summit - maybe this time he will have a little more luck! winksmile.gif ) Barry has a message for you:
It's a gas, Opus!
It's a gas, Opus!
and if you're successful, here's your "pay off"
Maybe you'll get a big PAY DAY, Opus!
Maybe you'll get a big PAY DAY, Opus!
Of course, we had to get in the obligatory "view shots."
Barry with Hozomeen as a backdrop
Barry with Hozomeen as a backdrop
Driver and Gus at the summit of Desolation Peak - this would be his first overnight camping trip on a very HOT day 06-29-08
Driver and Gus at the summit of Desolation Peak - this would be his first overnight camping trip on a very HOT day 06-29-08
Kolleen with west/northwest cloudless view behind
Kolleen with west/northwest cloudless view behind
And since Jim K couldn't make this trip, someone had to do directional duty.
Barry standing in for Jim K in full "point" position!
Barry standing in for Jim K in full "point" position!
By now, it was after 4:00 p.m. It had taken us 4 1/2 hours to go 6.6 miles and it was still blazing hot. We weren't sure how long it would take us to get back, but we needed to get started.
Kolleen and Bob coming off the summit
Kolleen and Bob coming off the summit
Just below the summit, we ran into a solo hiker - Randy from Boulder - who had found a spot on the snow to call home for a night or two.
Lone hiker camping below the summit
Lone hiker camping below the summit
Randy's "house"
Randy's "house"
He wanted to let Mom know that he was doing well!
Hi Mom!
Hi Mom!
(BTW - he's looking for someone that wants to hike/camp up in Alaska. He's going to post to NW Hikers to find someone who might be interested!) The route back seemed sooooo long (and, did I mention it was HOT? Jim, this was almost as good as Sourdough a couple of years ago!). For some strange reason, Gusto was a really BAD DOG this trip. When I did allow him off-leash nono.gif he took off. Usually a quick "Gusto" and a whistle and he is stopped dead in his tracks, but not this time! furious.gif naughty.gif strange.gif Joanna and I concluded that he wanted to join the BDC (Bad Dog Club). lol.gif Soooo, he was leash restricted the rest of the way back to camp and for the duration of the trip. waah.gif All of us hit the lake when we got back - mainly to cool off and to clean up before dinner. It was cooling down some, but still short sleeve weather. Fortunately, there weren't many bugs around! bug.gif There was a little excitement. A couple of young guys asked if we had a cell phone. Well, of course, there is no reception. It seems a teen-age girl somehow missed the turn to Hozomeen Lake to meet up with her group - and walked another 7+ miles and wound up at the horse camp area of Lightening Creek. I don't know if they hooked up with the Park Ranger or not - but I can imagine that the folks at Hozomeen were distraught! Why she was hiking by herself, I don't know. shakehead.gif Then, a guy came into our camp and asked about the water taxi and if they could go out when we did the next morning. It seems his group had taken the lakeshore trail and one of the hikers injured an ankle and couldn't make it out on foot. (They would end up deciding to go out later.) Figuring that all was ok, it was time to get back to the business at hand. Anticipating a party on the lake, Barry and the driver each brought a bottle of wine - Joanna fearing that there wouldn't be enough to go around, stopped on our way through Marblemount and got a couple of little bottles (just in case) Barry was in charge of the party.
Barry taking care of the hors d'oeuvres
Barry taking care of the hors d'oeuvres
Sadly, since all of us were so dehydrated, we were quite restrained in our celebration! biggrin.gif frown.gif It was a lovely evening, and quite comfortable for sleeping. Bob didn't suffer the horrible cramps of earlier outings - must have been the dark chocolate wink.gif - but there were complaints of headaches due to the dehydration. We rolled out about 7:00 a.m., ate breakfast (Gus suckered us into the "throw the stick" game in the lake before the boat arrived.) and Holly chased chipmunks! And, sure enough, right at 8:30 a.m. there was our taxi.
Taxi arriving at 8:30 a.m. sharp
Taxi arriving at 8:30 a.m. sharp
By now, it was already getting warm. It's a 20 minute boat ride.
Looking back at Desolation and Hozomeen in the distance
Looking back at Desolation and Hozomeen in the distance
And then, the 450' back UP to the cars. We were packed up and ready to hit the road by 9:30 a.m.! Stats: 5100' gain; 15.5 miles and, it was HOT! Back in Seattle, two of the four members of the BDC were looking a little sheepish about their behavior!
Look a little guilty, don't they?
Look a little guilty, don't they?
Great trip! Fun group! up.gif Don't start this little outing at mid-day on a HOT day! doh.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Jun 29, 2008 5:12 pm 
I don't think we have been on such a hot hike since Yakima Rim a few years ago. This was Africa hot! Bob could hardly wait to roll in the snow. But this is certainly a good choice for a June hike, if you want to avoid the snow.
Jack Mt.
Jack Mt.
Bob high above Ross Lake
Bob high above Ross Lake
On the summit ridge, Jack Mt. on left
On the summit ridge, Jack Mt. on left
The Driver with Hozomeen Mt.
The Driver with Hozomeen Mt.
Joanna, Barry, Suzanne and K
Joanna, Barry, Suzanne and K

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostSun Jun 29, 2008 5:23 pm 
Did someone mention hot? The unofficial report of Carol, the water taxi driver, was that it was 96 at Ross Lake Dam. We're sure it was close to that even 13 miles up the lake at Lightning Creek - maybe a little cooler at the top of Desolation, but we were only there for 45 minutes before heading down. The water crossing on the way down made the return more bearable. I have not been in the N. Cascades for several years, and had forgotten how spectacular they look.
Ross Lake as we hike along the lake
Ross Lake as we hike along the lake
Getting higher, looking south
Getting higher, looking south
Suzanne coming up to the ridge
Suzanne coming up to the ridge
Gusto walking without much gusto
Gusto walking without much gusto
Hozomeen from Desolatoin
Hozomeen from Desolatoin
North end of Ross Lake from Desolation
North end of Ross Lake from Desolation
South end of Ross Lake from Desolatoin
South end of Ross Lake from Desolatoin
Looking toward Baker from Desolation
Looking toward Baker from Desolation
Sitting in the shade
Sitting in the shade
Fortunately we were not too tired to celebrate afterward, especially after chilling the wine, cheese, and ourselves in Ross Lake. The plastic wine glasses that Suzanne assembled were especially elegant
Shall we start with the $50 bottle or $9 bottle?
3 labels
Shall we start with the $50 bottle or $9 bottle?
Apparently was Gus' first night sleeping in the woods! During the night we heard a bit of a commotion as he stood up and uprooted their tarp tent. But he survived, and was ready to roll in the morning.
Alpenglow on Jack Mtn
Alpenglow on Jack Mtn
You expect me to sleep outside?
You expect me to sleep outside?
Please give me something to retrieve
Please give me something to retrieve

pithy yet insightful signature
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostSun Jun 29, 2008 5:54 pm 
Re: Sun baked on Desolation Peak - 06-28/29-08
Sadie's Driver wrote:
I always knew bob was a dog. tdd

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Jun 29, 2008 6:41 pm 
twodogdad wrote:
Sadie's Driver wrote:
WOOF! or WUF! agree.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Jun 29, 2008 6:48 pm 
twodogdad wrote:
Sadie's Driver wrote:
BUT - he wasn't a BAD DOG!!! lol.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jun 29, 2008 7:52 pm 
WOW ! The snows mushy and it's freaking hot. Glad I took the weekend off and worked out in the air conditioned gym. I remember starting out at 3 and 4 a.m. last year to get out, get up, and get back !

Living in the Anthropocene
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Jun 29, 2008 10:06 pm 
Hooray, another treasure hunt! Hopefully it's not a liquified Payday by now. Out on Navaho pass this weekend we exceeded the useful temperature for Reeses Pieces. They got so hot the candy shell couldn't contain the peanut butter! My little thermometer said 100 degrees up there today. Trip report forthcoming when I cool down and stop feeling like a baked potato. Great trip! Sorry I missed out, looks like a fun one.

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Jun 29, 2008 10:54 pm 
Great Report SD! Glad everyone survived the heat and everything ended well. It's a great area.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Jun 30, 2008 6:46 am 
Hikin' in Hades
Opus wrote:
Hooray, another treasure hunt! Hopefully it's not a liquified Payday by now. Out on Navaho pass this weekend we exceeded the useful temperature for Reeses Pieces. They got so hot the candy shell couldn't contain the peanut butter! My little thermometer said 100 degrees up there today. Trip report forthcoming when I cool down and stop feeling like a baked potato. Great trip! Sorry I missed out, looks like a fun one.
No fear, Opus - - - we picked a good spot! agree.gif Be sure and look high and low!!! lol.gif s.d.

Bad Dog

Bad Dog
PostMon Jun 30, 2008 9:56 am 
It does seem like the membership of the "Bad Dog Club" is growing with Gus being the newest recruit. lol.gif And Jasper's poop-rolling episode from last week definitely gives him full BDC privileges. winksmile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostMon Jun 30, 2008 9:56 am 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
twodogdad wrote:
Sadie's Driver wrote:
BUT - he wasn't a BAD DOG!!! lol.gif
Not yet. Besides, he lost his hat. tdd

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostMon Jun 30, 2008 1:48 pm 
Bad Dog wrote:
It does seem like the membership of the "Bad Dog Club" is growing with Gus being the newest recruit. lol.gif And Jasper's poop-rolling episode from last week definitely gives him full BDC privileges. winksmile.gif
I thought the poop rolling was good. You two-leggers sure have some funny ideas about proper etiquette. shakehead.gif Glad you all had a good time, and that Bob is finding his inner dog. Gusto, call me next time Lizzy comes over agree.gif

Yet

Yet
PostMon Jun 30, 2008 2:21 pm 
Such a nice TR. But my question is, was it hot??

JimK

JimK
PostMon Jun 30, 2008 2:29 pm 
Kinda glad I missed this one with the late start and the heat. I only made it up Sourdough because of the 5:30 am start. Glad to see all you folks did fine. Is Bob pulling a "Clover" in the snow?