Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hurricane Hill/Ridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trevor

Trevor
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 2:22 pm 
Saw a few images floating around with a rather profuse mixture of wildflowers at the hurricane ridge area. I thought I'd get further verification by checking the hurricane-ridge-web cam. What I saw through the web-cam view was some fuzzy purple in the distance. A few minutes later my camping gear was getting loaded in my bag. In terms of showcasing a summer coat, Hurricane Ridge is currently more advanced than any areas on the west side of the state that I'm aware of. With the variety of hiking destinations in the PNW during the summer, often times it's difficult picking a destination, but this was one of the few times I can say with confidence that I chose wisely.
Hurricane of Purple
Hurricane of Purple

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 2:36 pm 
had i known you were on the ridge, we could have checked out obstruction peak road together. see my beauties and the beasts thread. great photos and i must agree with you about the wildflowers, etc. of olympic national park. love it, love it, love it!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 2:48 pm 
Wow, great photos as always Trevor. biggrin.gif up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 7:25 pm 
stun.gif stun.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
mountain high
space junkie

mountain high
space junkie
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 7:43 pm 
Those are great photos. I was trying to figure out where to bring the kids on a day hike next week; you just made up my mind for me!

"When one loses the deep intimate relationship with nature, then temples, mosques and churches become important." -J. Krishnamurti
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 7:58 pm 
Way to go Treb. Nice work. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Karen˛
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen˛
A Real Canadian Girl
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 8:31 pm 
Yet another collection of fine images Trevor. up.gif up.gif up.gif I think my favorite is the very simple lupine & paintbrush separated by the stick, a very pleasing composition and hard to capture without the right lighting. I also like the vertical deer and the horizontal ones with the lupine in the FG and mountains in BG. Well done! I really like that the far valleys are in shadow but their peaks are still bathed in light...great captures. The first vertical lupines/mountain shot looks like you captured a bit of wind/motion blur in the lupines, top left...very small nitpick, but the reason I prefer the horizontal ones, if there is motion blur, it is harder to tell because they are much smaller! hockeygrin.gif Keep em coming Trevor, I always enjoy your reports.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Trevor

Trevor
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 9:54 pm 
Thanks! Karen, I noticed the motion blur, and thankfully I took a few more images of that comp in hopes I could get one with no visible-motion blur. I replaced the aforementioned with a new one with no motion blur.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Jul 10, 2008 11:27 pm 
up.gif up.gif i must visit only on a sunny day. hockeygrin.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential