Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lava Butte & Lava Lands Trails (Central Oregon Cascades)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostFri Jul 11, 2008 10:09 pm 
Region: Central Oregon Cascades, Newberry National Volcanic Monument Reference: 100 Hikes in Oregon #72 Rigor: 1 mile R/T, paved
(Lava Butte in background over Molten Land trailhead) After crossing the Columbia gorge at the Dalles, we passed through some serious po-dunk towns before hitting Oregon’s highway 97 on our way to Crater Lake. This highway must have some of he most spectacular volcano views anywhere in the Cascades. Several times I looked back up at a volcanoe to realize it was not the one I had seen earlier but yet another. First Wy-East appears, then Jefferson, plus Sisters one, two and three, then Mt. Bachelor. Cruising through the hip town of Bend ( well worth a night of R&R if peak bagging Cascade volcanoes down here) just a few miles south we came upon the Lava Lands National Monument and it made a nice stop. Since we got there late we couldn’t go up the road to Lava Butte (a short trail lead to the summit). The Whispering Pines Trail is just a quarter mile leg stretcher through Ponderosa pines and amongst local chipmucks and squirrels. Trail of the Molten Lands is a three quarter mile loop through a path of black volcanic debris and destruction. It ends at a field of pure black pumice that leads off into the horizon with views of several Cascade volcanoes. We weren’t charged upon entry but a forest pass was supposedly required to park there (I never bother with those!). There was a very nice National Park quality gift shop. This is a nice family leg stretcher if you are passing by this way.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostFri Jul 11, 2008 11:23 pm 
Nice to take the family to molten areas for a nice warm up!! . I'm sure they were hot for that trail. lol.gif lol.gif moon.gif Just teasing. Good trip report.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jul 12, 2008 3:14 pm 
Hot lava!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jul 12, 2008 7:32 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Hot lava!

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn