Forum Index > Trip Reports > Boulder Peak and Everett Ridge 07-13-08 (Olympics)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 8:47 am 
Under flawless blue skies took off from the Boulder Creek TH at 6:15 AM. The Olympic Hot Springs campground was crowded when we breezed through a short time later, but for some reason no one seemed to be up and about yet. Hung a right a bit later onto the Boulder Lake trail, a bit apprehensive about the ONP report of 30 trees down across the trail. As it turned out, only a few were problems and the rest could be stepped over easily. Patches of snow began to cover the trail perhaps a quarter mile downhill from the lake, and there was plenty of snow on the ground around the lake when we arrived there, although a few campsites were clear and were occupied. The lake itself is still predominantly snow covered, but the thaw is happening fast. Wouldn't be surprised to see it clear in a week or so if the hot weather keeps up.
Boulder Lake
Boulder Lake
Took the way trail route along the east side of the lake and gained the ridge that separates Boulder Lake from Three Horse Basin to the south. Worked our way along the north side of the ridge toward Boulder Peak, crossing steep snow and loose rock. On the summit, weather was perfect, a light breeze, clear skies, warm temps. Views were outstanding. Below us we could see Everett Ridge, which separates Three Horse Lake from Blue Lake.
Everett Ridge
Everett Ridge
Everett Ridge
Everett Ridge
SE from Boulder Peak
SE from Boulder Peak
Olympus was spectacular, and Seven Lakes Basin looks like it's still locked in snow.
Mt. Olympus from Boulder Peak
Mt. Olympus from Boulder Peak
Mt. Olylmpus from Boulder Peak
Mt. Olylmpus from Boulder Peak
Seven Lakes Basin from Boulder Peak
Seven Lakes Basin from Boulder Peak
There were fine views down into Three Horse Basin and its two lakes:
upper lake in Three Horse Basin
upper lake in Three Horse Basin
Three Horse Lake from Boulder Peak
Three Horse Lake from Boulder Peak
Still plenty of snow on Mt. Appleton, and Boulder Peak offers fine views of Mt. Fairchild and Mt. Carrie.
Mt. Carrie (L), Mt. Appleton (center)
Mt. Carrie (L), Mt. Appleton (center)
Mt. Fairchild (L), Mt. Carrie (R) from Boulder Peak
Mt. Fairchild (L), Mt. Carrie (R) from Boulder Peak
Here's a view showing the ridge run from Everett to Appleton to Peak 6100, from which you can drop down to Appleton Pass to its east.
After descending from Boulder Peak, we decided to head over to Everett Ridge. The way trail is covered in patches of snow, and once it reaches the ridge above Three Horse Lake, it plunges steeply downhill. Trekking poles are a huge help on this brutal way trail. We watered up at the pleasant stream feeding Three Horse Lake, then labored up to Everett Ridge, bushwhacking and climbing steep snow. The way trail was buried under snow in this area.
Three Horse Lake from Everett Ridge
Three Horse Lake from Everett Ridge
Everett Peak from Everett Ridge
Everett Peak from Everett Ridge
Returned back down to Three Horse Basin and watered up before the brutal climb back over to Boulder Lake.
Three Horse basin
Three Horse basin
Three Horse Lake
Three Horse Lake
Beside Three Horse Lake- flowers whose name I am too exhausted to look up
Beside Three Horse Lake- flowers whose name I am too exhausted to look up
On the way back down, we were very pleasantly surprised to find that some excellent folks had cleared the trail of downed trees, reconstructed the tread in various places, and generally attained sainthood in our humble opinion. Reached the car around 7:15 PM. About 15 miles RT, and according to my GPS, 5700 feet cumulative vertical gain.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 12:04 pm 
i did boulder lake last friday. i like your trip better biggrin.gif that's a great view of mt. olympus and seven lakes basin. i am packing my gear for obstruction peak, thanks to Jim.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 2:18 pm 
Thanks for your kind comments, SJ and bcfc53. I was suprised by how much snow remains in Seven Lakes Basin at this late date. "Passout Pass" is aptly descriptive, and there were times in the afternoon heat yesterday while I was toiling up steep slopes through the brush that I vowed never to return to Three Horse basin and points south, but my built-in forgetter will probably kick in and I'll find myself doing the traverse from Boulder down to Appleton Pass one of these days. It's very nice country. bcfc53, thanks for bringing your Boulder Lake TR to my attention--nice photos of a beautiful sunny day at the lake. Hope you have a great time heading through the flower wonderland out Obstruction Point road.