Forum Index > Trip Reports > Horse Thief Butte & She-Who-Watches (Columbia Gorge)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostFri Jul 11, 2008 9:55 pm 
Region: Columbia River Gorge, Horse Thief Lake State Park Reference: 55 Hikes in Central Washington #3 Rigor: appr. 1 mile R/T, easy class 2 (longer hikes + rock climbing opportunities as well)
On the first day or our experimental family summer vacation/peak bagging trip I decided to take a slight detour to add this little lump to my accomplishments. Horse Thief Butte was created during an Ice Age flood of biblical proportions when all the surrounding dirt and softer rock was washed down the river. This was considered a sacred place amongst the abundant native tribes along the Columbia. Although there are no Indian reservations in the area I know of, I did see many Native Americans selling fireworks along Highway 14 so they apparently still persist there. The trail to the Butte starts at the south side of WA-14 about a mile east of the park entrance. There is just room to park along the busy highway on either side of the road. The trail forks left at about 50 meters and head straight for what appears to be a sheer wall. We found the path just south leading up through a rock chute (easy class 2; I carried the baby).
One atop the southern part of the Butte the highest point is clear ahead, however to get there one must descend into a confusing maze of paths all leading to different summits. Pressed for time as we had left mother and babe behind in the wind, we were twice fooled up false summits only to see the higher one was not accessible from where we had ascended. It’s not hard to see why Native Americans came here for vision quests or ceremonies. Finally we found a path to the true summit which afforded nice views down the Columbia to the Dalles.
Unfortunately the other trail to She Who Watches has been closed due to vandalism. Apparently guided tours are given on Saturdays at 10:00AM or by appointment only. They do have a nice assortment of similar works set up along the lower parking lot near the river (two pictured here).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSat Jul 12, 2008 12:01 am 
Good to see you having fun on the trip. Good trip and photos!!! up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSat Jul 12, 2008 5:40 am 
I hadn't heard of this hike before. It looks neat!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jul 12, 2008 3:13 pm 
Is that Denise scrambling? She looks like she is smiling. biggrin.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Jul 12, 2008 5:21 pm 
Googi, or whatever you call your sone had the same confused look on his face that you often have strange.gif strange.gif strange.gif

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSat Jul 12, 2008 10:32 pm 
Yeah he is wondering why he is alive after dad took him to a molten place and tried to teach him a Lassen!!!! lol.gif lol.gif moon.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSun Jul 13, 2008 8:51 pm 
Quote:
Unfortunately the other trail to She Who Watches has been closed due to vandalism.
What is wrong with people?! rant.gif
Quote:
Although there are no Indian reservations in the area I know of, I did see many Native Americans selling fireworks along Highway 14 so they apparently still persist there.
Could be wrong but a number of their descendents are now live on the Warm Springs Reservation south in Oregon. Native Americans also sell salmon in season just east of Bonneville Dam.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin