Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dick Mesa Loop 3/11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Mar 12, 2009 9:32 am 
Location : Entiat, Wa. N of Wenatchee Access : SR 97A > Entiat River Rd. > Crum Canyon Rd. > FR 5393 Maps : GTM – Brief, TOPO Stats : 6.25, 2000’, 4 hr r/t
Dick Mesa Loop
Dick Mesa Loop
I had been wondering what Dick Mesa was like for a few years now, and what the views would be like, so after waiting for the chill to wear off I made it to the my take off point, at the beginning of the Forest Rd. 5393 just off Crum Canyon Rd. where I took off under clear blue skies and a balmy 27 degrees. I walked the snow packed road for a short period before scaling up the side of an initial steep ridge using veggie belays, the ridge eased up, but was a gradual incline on fairly consolidated snow with some undulation between highpoints.
Lower Ridge
Lower Ridge
Ridge
Ridge
Gaining the getler undulating terrain.
Gaining the getler undulating terrain.
Deserty section of ridge.
Deserty section of ridge.
Rounding a highpoint.
Rounding a highpoint.
Upper ridge approaching Dick Mesa.
Upper ridge approaching Dick Mesa.
The vegetation thinned out, and the views opened up as I gained elevation with a myriad of peaks from Entiat , Chelan, and Sawtooth Ridges. As I crested the ridge and stepped onto Dicks Mesa, I enjoyed a huge “miles wide” slightly undulating plateau consisting of mainly low grasses and scattered evergreens, so large that you couldn’t take it in with a single glance. I arced North over the high point / summit 3304’, then down a ridge opposite of and paralleling my ridge up, back to the road. It was cold so I kept moving. I did get a slight sunburn and was glad my route was predominantly sun exposed. This will be a great open country wildflower trip and is approachable from the East and West. The area is a patchwork of National Forest, Entiat Wildlife Refuge, and private land.
Sugarloaf
Sugarloaf
Transition zone
Transition zone
Cougar Mountain
Cougar Mountain
Tyee and Signal Peaks
Tyee and Signal Peaks
Stormy and Baldy
Stormy and Baldy
Swakane Peak from the North.
Swakane Peak from the North.
Dick Mesa
Dick Mesa
Lower Chelan Ridge from Dick Mesa
Lower Chelan Ridge from Dick Mesa
Looking towards Stormy Mtn from Dick Mesa.
Looking towards Stormy Mtn from Dick Mesa.
Return Ridge
Return Ridge
Looking into the North Fork Entiat River Valley
Looking into the North Fork Entiat River Valley
Entiat Ridge to Tyee Ridge
Entiat Ridge to Tyee Ridge
Approaching the Upper section of Dicks Mesa
Approaching the Upper section of Dicks Mesa
Lower Sawtooth Ridge
Lower Sawtooth Ridge
Looking off Dick Mesa Plateau
Looking off Dick Mesa Plateau
Four Mile Ridge
Four Mile Ridge
Lower Chelan Ridge Peaks and Ridges
Lower Chelan Ridge Peaks and Ridges
North Fork Entiat River Valley from Dicks Mesa
North Fork Entiat River Valley from Dicks Mesa
Ridge I went up and ridge I'm going down
Ridge I went up and ridge I'm going down
Stormy - Baldy and company
Stormy - Baldy and company
Tyee Ridge - Four Mile Ridge - North Fork Entiat Peaks
Tyee Ridge - Four Mile Ridge - North Fork Entiat Peaks

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Mar 12, 2009 7:52 pm 
I bet you ran into elbow-to-elbow hiking hordes up there. dizzy.gif Looks like another nice area you explored with crystal views. I resisted the urge to make any lame puns mum.gif about the name of the place....family website, you know. However, I can't help but notice that as far as Topo Maps go, "Brief" covers this area. ykm.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Jake

Jake
PostThu Mar 12, 2009 8:19 pm 
I think it was named for or by Condi Dick who was well known resident of the Entiat area back around the turn of the century.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Mar 13, 2009 6:27 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
I bet you ran into elbow-to-elbow hiking hordes up there. dizzy.gif Looks like another nice area you explored with crystal views. I resisted the urge to make any lame puns mum.gif about the name of the place....family website, you know. However, I can't help but notice that as far as Topo Maps go, "Brief" covers this area. ykm.gif
Who would have thought. A Mesa named "Dick", in Brief. hmmm.gif I didn't see anybody on the road, or on the trip, go figure ! First winter ascent, first trip report of this area. winksmile.gif I did notice an already snowfree access from the East through Entiat.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Mar 14, 2009 2:31 am 
Rob, what are the lines on your map that look like roads?
They wander all over the place, including one which crosses the top of Dick Mesa! And one that makes a loop on top of the mesa (part of which, your route followed). ......... Are those lines that you've added, or what? ................................................ Dick Mesa looks to rival Grand Park among mountain top plateaus. Your hike avoided the biggest section of it. Frankly, your photographs mostly seem to have avoided it, too. huh.gif Your "destination" seems to have been shortchanged in favor of the panoramic views. You've only got one pic that's primarily the mesa.
You may be bored with the snowy meadows, but I like 'em. wink.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Mar 14, 2009 5:07 am 
Scrooge, Any lines are forest roads, Crum Canyon is a county Rd., though it's primitive before I turned off. Some of the roads shown are not there anymore, and there are some not shown that are either very old, or newer. The high point, Dick Mesa is a named summit and is at the highest arc on my trip across Dick Mesa, and that point is just on the other side (by maybe 5-10' of the fence, which had an open gate) and may be private property. My goal was a late start, the high spot, and the ridges as a loop, for a recon, and a burst of exercise. I took nearly 200 pictures, so your seeing a few overall. The thing about the plateau is that it's huge, but it steps off in alll directions, so from the top your seeing line of sight, the upper most section. I kept moving because even though it's sunny and blue, it was probably in the high teens, with a light wind. The area can be accessed from the East, West, South, and North and is a mish mash of State, Federal, and Private land. This will be an awesome wildflower trip. I never expected the diversity of views, so it was in quite the sweet spot.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Mar 14, 2009 8:13 am 
I dunno, Rob, you also managed to leave out the fact that the whole place is right above the Columbia!
Dick Mesa
Dick Mesa
Dick Mesa and Columbia River
Dick Mesa and Columbia River
I assume that you couldn't see the river, that your view of it was blocked by the mesa to the east and the bench to the south ...... or something. Otherwise you'd have pictures of it (because you always do include it, when it's visible). Anyway, the whole area looks really neat, so I'd appreciate a couple of favors. This spring, when the roads dry out (mostly), see what condition that Crum Canyon Road is in, and how far it's drivable. ........ Also, see if you can tell if that larger, eastern section of the mesa is occupied by active, private farms. ........ It would be planted in wheat, if it gets enough water, but it may not. ................................................... And then there's Ribbon Mesa, just to the north. biggrin.gif
Ribbon Mesa
Ribbon Mesa
The views from there should be really spectacular. agree.gif And once again, there's a road going all the way to the top (maybe). I know you like the exercise of the climb, but my emphysema prefers me to start near the top, when I can. Anyway, if those roads are any good, I'd say that my daughter will have a house guest for several extra days, this Spring. hockeygrin.gif David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat Mar 14, 2009 9:24 am 
Great panos Wildernessed. I'm incredibly jealous of all you folks that got to take advantage of the stellar midweek weather.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Mar 14, 2009 10:03 am 
Scrooge, would you like fries with that order ? winksmile.gif Layback, I'm glad I got out for several days, looking at today and the extended forecast, it's overcast, but no precip yet.

Hx

Hx
PostSat Mar 14, 2009 10:55 am 
wildernessed wrote:
This will be an awesome wildflower trip. I never expected the diversity of views, so it was in quite the sweet spot.
I am "stalking" your and Kyleds posts wink.gif ...because the day you'll say, oh the wild flowers are out in full force (and the apple blossoms)..so will I toward that area. up.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Mar 14, 2009 11:44 am 
Wildernessed asked
Quote:
Scrooge, would you like fries with that order ? winksmile.gif
Skip the fries, Rob. tongue.gif I hardly ever eat them, anyway. ....... Tell you what: I'll treat you to a beer and pizza, instead. ....... Or, if I time it right, maybe we can organize a Wenatchee social while I'm over there. agree.gif We're getting enough Eastside ridge-runners to fill a good sized table. biggrin.gif And, as you know, I wouldn't ask if I didn't expect you to be back up there. Something about "flowers"?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Mar 14, 2009 12:08 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
Wildernessed asked
Quote:
Scrooge, would you like fries with that order ? winksmile.gif
Skip the fries, Rob. tongue.gif I hardly ever eat them, anyway. ....... Tell you what: I'll treat you to a beer and pizza, instead. ....... Or, if I time it right, maybe we can organize a Wenatchee social while I'm over there. agree.gif We're getting enough Eastside ridge-runners to fill a good sized table. biggrin.gif And, as you know, I wouldn't ask if I didn't expect you to be back up there. Something about "flowers"?
hockeygrin.gif

Z
Erratic

Z
Erratic
PostMon Mar 16, 2009 5:40 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
This spring, when the roads dry out (mostly), see what condition that Crum Canyon Road is in, and how far it's drivable. ........ Also, see if you can tell if that larger, eastern section of the mesa is occupied by active, private farms. ........ It would be planted in wheat, if it gets enough water, but it may not. David
I haven't been up there for a few years, but the roads up Crum and from "downtown" Entiat were in good shape. Ernie Chandler, a dentist in Leavenworth at the time, used to farm the top until he fatally rolled his combine while travelling between the upper and lower fields. You'll see it when driving up from the Entiat side. I'm not sure who farms it now, but I think there's still wheat fields, but the roads were always open. I've never driven out from there past the power line that crosses at Ribbon Cliff/Daroga Park, but it was mostly good road at the time (extra points for the derivation of Daroga). Neat area worth exploring.

"Einstein stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, is as a blind man stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound" 1979 They don't make years like they used to.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Mar 16, 2009 5:54 pm 
Z wrote:
Scrooge wrote:
This spring, when the roads dry out (mostly), see what condition that Crum Canyon Road is in, and how far it's drivable. ........ Also, see if you can tell if that larger, eastern section of the mesa is occupied by active, private farms. ........ It would be planted in wheat, if it gets enough water, but it may not. David
I haven't been up there for a few years, but the roads up Crum and from "downtown" Entiat were in good shape. Ernie Chandler, a dentist in Leavenworth at the time, used to farm the top until he fatally rolled his combine while travelling between the upper and lower fields. You'll see it when driving up from the Entiat side. I'm not sure who farms it now, but I think there's still wheat fields, but the roads were always open. I've never driven out from there past the power line that crosses at Ribbon Cliff/Daroga Park, but it was mostly good road at the time (extra points for the derivation of Daroga). Neat area worth exploring.
Thanks for the info., I saw a combine up there, don't know that it's the same. What surprised me were the surrounding mountain views from up there, really a treat when you think of the Mesa itself. Right now access from the east is snowfree to the Mesa.