Forum Index > Trip Reports > Families with young chidren tour the "devistation" at Big 4
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Jul 13, 2008 10:51 pm 
I decided to check out the damage at big4 on my way back from Bedal basin. As usual i found the parking lot full. However the picnic area was empty. I found the river eazy to cross. Yes it was cold, but it felt good on my nettle ravaged legs. I'm 5'10" and the water bearly went above my knees. On the other side i saw dozens of familys with children of all ages. The trail was crowded! Yes there are lots of trees over the trail, but i think reports of how bad it is were overstated. A simple bow saw could take care of a lot of it. However there are some big ones which will take more effort. And that's only a small portition of the trail. It probably only a couple of hours worth of work with a chain saw. In the blow down area, i saw a family with a four year old. This kid was having a blast climbing over all those trees. When i reached to snow field there was a number of snow ball fights going on. A snow ball fight on a hot july day, what a great way to cool off! hockeygrin.gif Content with this short trip i turned around. On the return trip I removed my pruning saw from my pack. Some hikers were asonished to see someone with a saw. I couple of people even helped remove some of the branches. I continued a little further. There was a couple sitting on one of the benches, next a thick spot fallen tree's. I started to clear a hole. Then the woman asked "do you work for the forest service?" I said "no i'm just a random guy with a pruning saw." The guy just sat there like a statue. I was there for sawing away for probably ten minutes. Then i cleared the branches off the trail I even had to go around the couple just sitting there, with the branches. They just sat there silent. I found there non reaction odd. Perhaps they were just tired. I only put a small scratch in the work need to be done to clear the trail but it's a start.
I took a ton more pictures while i was there. Mostly of family with children. I chose not to post them. Simply because while on the trail i had a brief conversation with some one about being suprised that there were that many familys on the trail. The comment i heard was " If i had children I wouldn't bring them here." I realized that there could be some fun crashing safe T natzi that might recognoze these people and hastle them. I bet the drive to big 4 was way more dangerous than wadeing the river. Hope this does't get booted for being too political hockeygrin.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 5:46 am 
If I was hiking by, I'd help throw limbs off for a few minutes. That's just common courtesy. Kind of like talking to a farmer and pulling a few weeds while doing so. Good for you!! Now, save up and buy a Stihl or a Husky and return. You'll get a hat too! smile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Jul 25, 2008 9:57 am 
Hulksmash said
Quote:
I decided to check out the damage at big4 on my way back from Bedal basin. ........ there are lots of trees over the trail, but i think reports of how bad it is were overstated. A simple bow saw could take care of a lot of it.
To be fair, Hulk, you made your trip almost four weeks after I "discovered" the damage. A lot has happened in that time. Most of the snow has melted, meaning that you can now follow the line of the trail pretty easily, even when there's debris on it. More importantly, the traffic has created a pretty good social trail through the worst of the mess, so you don't have to stop and think about which way to go.
New path
New path
In addition, there've been some people in there with pruning saws or bow saws or some such, wink.gif and their clandestine efforts opened up a surprising amount of trail. If a tree falls lengthwise along the trail, lopping off the branches can make a huge difference.
Clandestine maintenance
Clandestine maintenance
Hulk, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find I have you to thank for this one. up.gif up.gif The trip went much faster, yesterday. biggrin.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!