Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hawkins Mountain (7/13/08)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 12:22 am 
What an awesome trip which involved me, Jason (not yet on nwhikers), Bike Jr, Bloated Chipmunk, Evelyn and Bingram, Vicki, Yumi, and Christian. After read Megellan trip report and talking to both Magellan and Bryan I had awesome on my mind. I saw that Bike Jr. had a trip going to Mount Aix that I was interested in but due to the fact that we could not get any details on the conditions on Mount Aix and I had first hand account information on Hawkins Mountain, I thought it would be a much better choice. Then the forecast on Thursday actually went to to say that there was a possibly of rain and that cemented Hawkins Mountain. We left at 8:00 am form the Issaquah Park and Ride and made it to the trailhead at around 10:00 all set ready to go. We started up the way the De roux Creek trailhead. On the way up we noticed passed the area the famous trekking pole leap. We continued up very much at a social pace, so a) Bloated Chipmunk could nurse that ankle and b) to real take in a number of amazing watefalls and some of the peek-a-boo views of Koppen Peak among other. We ran into one very amazing waterfall where Bingham and Christian decided to take a dip under the waterfall. We pressed on at a social pace until we reached Gallagher Head Lake. I did not expect much in terms of scenery but this lake is worthy of a trip in it's own right. We stopped again and had another bite to eat and took in the scenery. Then we press on, but the trip almost took a bit of turn when Christian, Bingham, Vicki and Yumi had made wrong turn on the dirt road. Luckily due to both them recognizing that they were going down hill and my loud voice, they turn back around and met back up with us. Then onward and upward we pressed up the dirt road where views continuously opened up. Once the road ended summit fever hit me and Christian and it was off to the races. The summit area (note: you can't see the true summit because the false summit is covering it up) did look daunting from down below. Looking back at this plan I taken the maybe Class 2 ridge to the left. We later found that section had very little scrambling. However the literature we had told us to go up the YDS CLass 2 scree to attain the ridge and then ascend the false summit where there is a ridge and well placed snowfield that connects the false and true summit. WHile the others were collecting there thoughts on how to tackle the last bit Christian and I decided to scramble up the steep scree field. Christian went a little left and hit the false summit directly while I hit the ridgeline went throughout what little vegetation there was and then achieved the false summit. We met at the false summit where Christian led the way to the true summit. WOW!!! All I have to say is Rainier, Adams and that nasty forest fire behind it (which looked like an eruption!!!!) to south in clear view. Baker and Glacier to the northwest in CLEAR VIEWS. Stuart taunting us in the east with the desert behind it. And Daniel and Hinman with all the snow as well as the other Cascades. It was clear and it was amazing!! On a clear day this has to be one of the better views around. We sat up for about 10-15 minutes to enjoy the views when we came to realize that no one else that come up yet. Are they waiting below. Did they abandon the thought of trying? confused.gif Did they go back without us????? eek.gif Then Jason popped over the summit with Yumi close behind and most of the others quickly coming up behind. Two stayed back due to the fact of water shortages. Hawkins Rap Hawkins Mountain We enjoyed the true summit for about an hour where the typical hero pictures, gang symbols, rap video making and overall goofiness occurs. After an hour we decided to head down from summit. It was hard to peel us off the summit because the views were THAT GOOD and the weather was PERFECT!!!!!!!! Getting up and actually leaving that summit was clearly the hardest part of the trip. There was a second. On the way down the group decided to ride now the rocky ridge and then travel down the scree to the bottom. Looking don I decided to take another more direct way down rolleyes.gif shakehead.gif . I saw what I thought would be go way which turned out to be a very steep scree patch through the rocks. This was clearly the steepest of the scree areas and as I watched a rock roll unbroken 300 feet below I realized that this section was going to a harder section to downclimb than I thought. I still though kept my balance and though I was slower than the others I got down finally by creating switchbacks in the scree and applying snow style moves (kick step, heel step). Once I got off the steeper scree I glissaded a snowfield which Jason did a standing glissade (it was a very low angle) and then went down another scree field where I watch the rest of the group taking a glissade on another field. The second field was a lot of fun. We finally caught up with the others at the dirt road. At Gallagher Lake we took one last break. That lake was looking even pretty in the evening. After that break we took the De Roux Creek trail all of the way back to the car. The rest the trip was uneventful and actually very relaxing. I got to spend time reflecting on the wonderful experience I had early in the day. It was so relaxing hearing those waterfall going down that the temptation to just fall asleep became greater with every passing minute. Finally we made it back to the cars and headed home. All of us reflected on the wonderful experience we had. Hopefully this group will hold together for Mount Aix because this was a really fun group to be around. Special thanks to everyone for coming, Christian and Bike Jr for driving, and for Bike Jr for having A) the drive to try to set up a trip, and b) to be flexible on summits. Everyone was great company. Kudos goes to Bloated Chipmunk for coming out even with some pain in the ankle, and Jason who in a month is becoming a great hiker and a great scrambler. I look forward to many more trip with everyone. Here are the pictures below.
BC in a flying pose
BC in a flying pose
Jason on the false summit
Jason on the false summit
King of the mountain!!!
King of the mountain!!!
Christian on the top!
Christian on the top!
Glissade!!!
Glissade!!!
Stuart which will be mine one day
Stuart which will be mine one day
Look up the ridge of Hawkins and False Summit
Look up the ridge of Hawkins and False Summit
The Thimble
The Thimble
Hawkins Mountain 036
Hawkins Mountain 036
Hawkins Mountain 034
Hawkins Mountain 034
Hawkins Mountain 031
Hawkins Mountain 031
Hawkins Mountain 030
Hawkins Mountain 030
STUART!!!!!
STUART!!!!!
Hawkins Mountain 042
Hawkins Mountain 042
Hawkins2 007
Hawkins2 007
Hawkins2 015
Hawkins2 015
Hawkins2 004
Hawkins2 004
Rainier from Hawkins
Rainier from Hawkins

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 1:19 am 
Many thanks to bikejr & EastKing for organizing this trip! It was a blast. It was great mtg. you guys as well as Jason & Evelyn. & it was great to see Bingram, Vicki, Yumi, & Christian again. up.gif Special thanks & appreciation goes out to EastKing for rounding everyone up & making sure we stick together for a safe trip. up.gif up.gif & thanks everyone for your concern regarding my bum ankle. wink.gif I was so happy I was able to summit this pk. w/y'all!! hockeygrin.gif & I'll have to say that this was the 1st time I've witnessed a summit rap. lol.gif Here are some of my photos from the trip. I'll let EastKing do the wordy stuff of the report. wink.gif
Getting ready
Getting ready
Trailhead sign
Trailhead sign
Up we go
Up we go
How many NWhikers can you count?
How many NWhikers can you count?
Lots-o-water
Lots-o-water
In the woods
In the woods
Falls
Falls
EastKing, Yumi, bikejr, Christian, & Bingram take a brief break
EastKing, Yumi, bikejr, Christian, & Bingram take a brief break
Peaks come into view
Peaks come into view
Almost to the lk.
Almost to the lk.
Gallagher Head Lk.
Gallagher Head Lk.
Jason & Bingram going up the steep slope
Jason & Bingram going up the steep slope
Tiny hikers on true summit of Hawkins Mtn.
Tiny hikers on true summit of Hawkins Mtn.
Summit view
Summit view
Distant valley
Distant valley
Vicki, Bingram, Yumi, Christian, Eastking, and Jason on the summit of Hawkins
Vicki, Bingram, Yumi, Christian, Eastking, and Jason on the summit of Hawkins
Bingram up to his usual tricks
Bingram up to his usual tricks
Can you see the goat?
1 label
Can you see the goat?
Stuart!
Stuart!
Yumi & Vicki skiing the scree
Yumi & Vicki skiing the scree
Jason glissading
Jason glissading
Funky snow melt
Funky snow melt
Tired hikers: Evelyn, Vicki, EastKing, Christian, Bingram, and bikejr
Tired hikers: Evelyn, Vicki, EastKing, Christian, Bingram, and bikejr

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 10:26 am 
EastKing wrote:
King of the mountain!!!
King of the mountain!!!
I am so sorry you guys had to see this side of EastKing. We have been trying to get this out of his system for quite some time but we had not made the progress that we had hoped for shakehead.gif shakehead.gif shakehead.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif Looks like you folks had a great trip. You all had the same great weather that we did a few weeks ago up.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 1:56 pm 
A few pictures perhaps a bit different/perhaps not. Everything I took.
Group heading out to Hawkins Mtn.
6 labels
Group heading out to Hawkins Mtn.
The dusty trail to Hawkins.
The dusty trail to Hawkins.
Early waterfall on way to Hawkins Mtn.
Early waterfall on way to Hawkins Mtn.
There was an outdoor outfitter/quide place near the parking for trail complete with horses. I suspect they take people up these routes. Occasional dodge of horse poop. Didn't see any horses on the day though
Strange tree shortly before tiny Galagher head lake.
Strange tree shortly before tiny Galagher head lake.
Gallagher Head Lake. grab a cold one, like a fire, have a seat (if you can stand the horse doo smell).
Gallagher Head Lake. grab a cold one, like a fire, have a seat (if you can stand the horse doo smell).
Remnants of old mining on way to Hawkins.
Remnants of old mining on way to Hawkins.
Rainier from viewpoint on way to Hawkins.
Rainier from viewpoint on way to Hawkins.
Views from road end near Hawkins.
Views from road end near Hawkins.
The two leaders ascending the dirt to Hawkins.
The two leaders ascending the dirt to Hawkins.
Hawkins real summit behind these false ones.
Hawkins real summit behind these false ones.
Rainier from hawkins basin area.
Rainier from hawkins basin area.
The "easy: ridge way. Shoulda taken this.
The "easy: ridge way. Shoulda taken this.
NWHikers coming down Hawkins.
Bet this guy wasn't happy. It seems you can take motor vehicles up these old roads/trails as evidenced by the signs/tracks that in places gouged out the old mining road pretty good.
Busted snowmobile parts or something in basin.
Fire pit area by busted snowmobile parts.
Fire pit area by busted snowmobile parts.
The bottom can't come soon enough.
Looking back at Hawkins on the way down.
Looking back at Hawkins on the way down.
Stuart on way down from Hawkins.
Stuart on way down from Hawkins.
Evening shots of Gallagher Head lake.
Shots on way down from Gallagher head lake.
3 labels
Koppen Mountain and moon on way down from Hawkins.
Koppen Mountain and moon on way down from Hawkins.
Moonshot on way down from Hawkins.
Moonshot on way down from Hawkins.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 3:12 pm 
Good to see the lake melted out. Hoping to take a drive up the jeep route once the road is clear of snow.

Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 8:47 pm 
WOW! looks like a great time hope you invite me next time!

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 9:09 pm 
Sweet, I've always wanted to get over that way. Does anyone know if that lake dries up late in the season?

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 9:22 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
Sweet, I've always wanted to get over that way. Does anyone know if that lake dries up late in the season?
I kinda wondered about that too. It looked like you could wade across that lake if if you wanted as it wasn't very deep. I guess in the middle it could have dropped off. We didn't test it. I thought it was strange we didn't see anybody up there, but there was plenty of evidence. Various tire tracks, horse remains and shell casings up by the benches/fire pit. Didn't hear any gunfire.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 10:58 pm 
Trip report has now been posted! up.gif Rap video might be coming soon!!! lol.gif lol.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 11:10 pm 
I don't think the lake dries up. I've caught fish in it and they wouldn't survive if it did. I'm fishing from a submerged log in this pic:
Fishin' From My Favorite Submerged Log
Fishin' From My Favorite Submerged Log

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 12:06 am 
I'm glad to see so many nwhikers getting together. It's a shame to see all that garbage right in the middle of such a fine hike. Beautiful trail, meadows, flowers, waterfalls, jeep garbage, mine tailings, scrambly ridge, summit views. I packed out some crap that had been left behind, but I couldn't pack out the wheel ruts through the meadows directly behind the 'please don't drive here' signs. shakehead.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 12:31 am 
As far as a "jeep garbage" intruding on your fine hiking experience. Please! This isn't wilderness. If it bothers you, hike in wilderness. I've seen examples of poor stewardship at destinations only hikers can get to. There's always a few idiots in every crowd. GH lake is remarkably untrammeled for a drive to destination. Most who visit clean up after those who don't. I've never seen garbage at the lake.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 12:45 am 
Forgive me for blaming the garbage on one group of users. Of course there are knuckleheads in every group. I knew what I was likely to see when I got there. The designation 'wilderness' does not make it perfect either. I would drive to the lake with no qualms so I could take my nephews up to the summit. I just wouldn't throw my redbull cans and beef jerky wrappers on the ground when I did it.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 1:11 am 
Yup, that's what I did. Took my nephews to the lake a few years ago and scrambled up Hawkins. Good times. As far as expectations, I expected it to be a dump but that's not what I found either time I visited. This is a unique place and it will be a shame when they lock out multiple use. It will eventually happen, and that will be more of a shame than anything.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 6:30 am 
Video is up! Enjoy getting a good laugh! lol.gif lol.gif