Forum Index > Trip Reports > N Fk, Sauk Road and Falls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 11:51 pm 
I got tired of the confusatory posts of the washout location on the N Fk Sauk, so I took the damn day off work to get this took care of so you people will simmer down and go hiking. Sheesh. I was advised by the folks at Darrington Ranger that it’s best to park at the Mtn Loop, as the closure site has room for only a few vehicles, and as everyone probably remembers from incidents at Perry Creek trailhead, some idjit always parks in the turnaround spot. If you get to the barricade and there’s a worshiper in the Moronic Temple and the 3 pullouts are occupado, you’re hosed. So the sign says the road is closed at .8 miles.
This here sign ain't been shot yet
This here sign ain't been shot yet
The sign says N Fk Sauk Falls is 1 mile
Only been done shot twicet
Only been done shot twicet
.Ergo, it’s a 1 mile walk to the Falls. Those wishing to know distance to Round Lake/Bingley Gap/Lost Creek Ridge trailhead will just have to trust your maps. Likewise, those wishing to know how far it is to the Sloan climbers path and to the N Fk Sauk trailhead will have to trust their maps. Here’s what you do: Take the map mileage of the road to the point of your trailhead of choice, and subtract .8 (or .81 - see below commentary on discrepancy). That’s how far you have to ride your bike or walk to said trailhead if you drive to the slump; you'll have to ride or walk the full mileage if you park at the Mtn Loop as suggested. Now of course we all know the mileage on signs might be different, depending on who calculates it. Some guys might add a click or two for good measure, some might not. I once heard an official official say he or she (gender not specified in order to protect the source) occcasionally adds a click or two, so that folks are excited they're there earlier than they expected. So I figured I’d see if .8 felt about right and started walking the road at a good hiking pace, 2 mph. I figured I oughta be there in about 12 minutes. But I have a fairly short attention span, so immediately forgot what I was doing, and started looking at stuff. I was still in sight of the damn barricade when I realized I wasn’t walking at 2 mph, or any mph for that matter. shakehead.gif It took me a half hour to walk the 12 minutes to the slump. Normal folks, not so much. As I was headed up the road, a family of four was headed down; they had been to the Falls and the son was excited to tell me about the waterfall spray cooling them off. 2 other guys on bikes passed me on the road, huffing along (there are 2 switchbacks, steep). Nice to see folks out & about. The slump is uninteresting. Others have posted photos. Imagine a pile of Silly Sand.
Only loaded drivers allowed on this here road_sign not shot up yet
Only loaded drivers allowed on this here road_sign not shot up yet
The falls are very cool; I didn’t take any pictures. As you may recall, today was brilliantly sunny. It sucked for pictures. I hate it when I can’t take pictures. I drowned my sorrows in bulk Swedish Fish from the Arlington Food Pavilion. They’re having a MEAT SALE this weekend, if anyone is interested.
Evening on the Stilly at Arlington bridge
Evening on the Stilly at Arlington bridge
Maples, sunlit horsetails and shadows of maples
Maples, sunlit horsetails and shadows of maples
Sunlit horsetails in a dark forest
Sunlit horsetails in a dark forest
Only one truck was parked at the barricade, so I drove up there after my walk to check the mileage on my truck odo. I know my odo is spot on, ‘cause I checked it on the freeway’s Speedometer checkpoints outside of Everett. I always do that; it’s fun, in a boring, engineer kind of way. The odo clicked .81 as I got to the washout site. This could be for several reasons. 1. The guy who did the sign rounded down 2. The guy who did the sign is messing with folks 3. The guy who did the sign is making stuff up 4. The guy who did the sign was loaded as required by the rules (see sign) 5. Slippage on the gravel road 6. The Speedometer checkpoints on I-5 are incorrectly placed and so my odo is off afterall 7. My odo is right, but something happened to my odo between Checkpoint 5 and the N Fk Sauk Road 8. Techtonic plate movement stretched the road a bit 9. Someone moved the damn barrier 10. I didn’t zero the odo at the precise time I should have 11. It wasn't the odo I was looking at So anyway, I hope this clears up the mystery of the location of the road closure; to make it simple, it’s pretty much all closed, if you are the safe sort who would park at the Mtn Loop and eliminate the Moron factor. On the way home, I noticed that the trucking industry isn’t taking any more chances. They're labeling their trucks. It's best to just not think about how I got this photo while driving down the freeway.
Bet the law suit that prompted this designation was interesting
Bet the law suit that prompted this designation was interesting
I understand how they feel. Back in 1981, I et 15 trucks when I fell on hard times. That was probably fairly expensive for East Texas Motor Freight (ETMF). (we didn’t call them “East Texas Motor Freight). TIP: Ramen is easier to digest; 10 for a buck. There’s a marketing mantra for you: Don’t eat a truck, we’re 10 for a buck.” The 32nd Annual Darrington Bluegrass Festival is this weekend.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 11:55 pm 
If I didn't know better I'd think you were making this up... suuure.gif

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 12:23 am 
up.gif up.gif Especially regarding the Darrington Bluegrass Festival!

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
SweetSassy
Sweet n Sassy

SweetSassy
Sweet n Sassy
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 12:36 am 
I've had round lake on my list for over a year so just last Thursday we headed out to check out the slump ourselves. We were running short on time so didn't do the walk first and I chickened out after we drove past the first little slump in the road and made Gordy turn my car around. Needless to say, we never say the final slump so I'm glad to see this TR. Thanks!

Sassy - a recovering couch potato
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 7:47 am 
What are they putting in those Swedish Fish these days? lol.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 10:26 am 
Ole Quarky sure is a crack up. Krazie too. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 10:49 am 
I can't decide whether this entire outing and trip report was done to thoroughly answer my question, or to make fun of me. Or both. hmmm.gif Anyway, thanks for the info! As we suspected, .8 miles it is. Or, just maybe, .81! moon.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 10:56 am 
Is there no way to drive around the barricade at the .80/.81 mileage mark???

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 11:00 am 
O it's totally to make fun of you Foist. clown.gif If I didn't, that would mean I don't like you. Naw, actually, I just was in the neighborhood and wanted to do a quick jaunt and thought I'd go check this out. I figured to do up a fun report.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Is there no way to drive around the barricade at the .80/.81 mileage mark???
NO! The slump is still active. It's on flat terrain, however, so I would expect delinquents to plough around it evenutally. If you plough around it on a dry day and it rains while you're out, you could be in a world of hurt when the slope mooks up. Doing so would result in a costly cement barrier and other deterents (snake pits, tire-busters, snipers). Taxpayer's dollars. Yours and mine. I'm more concerned about mine.

huey

huey
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 11:10 am 
Did the folks at Darrington Ranger Station offer any time line for the repair & reopening of this road?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 11:15 am 
huey wrote:
Did the folks at Darrington Ranger Station offer any time line for the repair & reopening of this road?
I'm sure fixing this road is low on the priority list.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 12:34 pm 
embarassedlaugh.gif It sucks to have the stupid sun ruin all your pictures. cool.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 9:41 pm 
huey wrote:
Huey; the gentleman I spoke to said that the roads guys are looking at a more solid repair process than just digging out the mook, shoring up the slope and backfilling. I think they have some alternatives in mind, but no decision has been made. Short answer to your question: nope.