Forum Index > Trip Reports > Constance Pass ONP - 7/12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
PTLateHiker

PTLateHiker
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 9:28 am 
After hearing about the washouts on the West Fork trail I decided to give up on Mount Anderson for now and try for an overnight at Sunnybrook Meadows above the Dosewallips. I got a leisurely start on Saturday and reached the washout on the Dosewallips River road at about 10:30. They've repaired the additional washout before the main one by installing a culvert.
Rigged and ready to go after the bypass trail at 600 ft.
Rigged and ready to go after the bypass trail at 600 ft.
Apart from one rock slide it's a smooth climb to the end of the road. It took about an hour and a half including the bypass trail.
Biked locked to a grill at the campground
Biked locked to a grill at the campground
The Dosewallips River trail starts at about 1600 ft. and steepens considerably on the Constance Pass Trail. There are a few blowdowns after the intersection but it's a very smooth trail generally. The switchbacks seemed to go on forever. I started to do the math as I approached the second crossing of Sunny Brook. Start at 600 feet. Bike to 1600. Climb to 6600. Ooof!
Lots of Candystick on the trail
Lots of Candystick on the trail
Muddy trail in the high meadows
Muddy trail in the high meadows
At 6pm I stopped to camp within falling-over distance of the Sunnybrook Meadows camp sign. Maybe 5600 feet elevation. There's good water in the meadow. Sunny Brook emerges from the side of the hill about 500 feet from the top. The snow is almost entirely gone on this south-facing slope. Wildflowers abound, though not with as much intensity as the southern approach to Mount Townsend.
Camp with the sun setting on Del Monte Ridge
Camp with the sun setting on Del Monte Ridge
On Sunday morning I climbed to the top of the ridge. I didn't descend to the pass. Instead I spent a few hours wandering the ridge top on as clear a day as I've ever seen in the Olympics. From one spot I could see Rainier, Mount Adams, St Helens and Olympus.
Looking southeast Rainier is framed by the approach to Constance Pass
Looking southeast Rainier is framed by the approach to Constance Pass
I stopped for a snack on the west end of Del Monte Ridge.
Mount Olympus
Mount Olympus
Mounts Mystery and Deception dominated the skyline to the west with gunsight pass visible in the saddle below mount Mystery
Looking down into the valley of Heather Creek.
Looking down into the valley of Heather Creek.
I could look all the way down the Dungeness drainage, to Marmot and Buckhorn Passes, Buckhorn Mountain. I could clearly see the large rock in the saddle above Charlia Lakes. What a day!
Looking down the valley of the Dungeness
Looking down the valley of the Dungeness
I left the ridge reluctantly about midday. I had lunch and a cup of coffee at the campsite and started to pound my way down the trail. After a bit the Candystick started to look like I felt.
I was glad to get to the bike and made the five and a half return miles in about half an hour. This is the second time I've tried the bike and hike method here, and the first overnight. Worked like a champ. I'm planning for Anderson Pass later in the year. With one exception I didn't see a soul after I got on the Constance Pass trail. The exception was one party with a dog (!) descending from the ridge on Saturday. Bad owner! No biscuit!

"back at camp the mountain peak still in my legs" - Yu Chang
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 12:49 pm 
Thank you very much for the great trip report and pictures PTLateHiker. up.gif Is the Dosewallips River Trail the path that skirts past Calypso Falls? It's been awhile since I've been up there and I don't have my maps in front of me.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
silence

silence
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 1:23 pm 
thanks for the great tr ... i'm assumin no snow all the way thru to marmot pass?? and wildflowers galore??

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
PTLateHiker

PTLateHiker
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 1:50 pm 
I bypassed Dose Forks skimpyphud. Saving it for the next trip. I think Calypso Falls is down that way. I didn't see any snow between me and Marmot Pass, silence, but that's all south or west facing. I didn't hike down to Constance pass itself or to Home Lake. There still might be some snow down there. There's still lots on the shadowed north slopes. I picked this hike because of the southern exposure. And yes, wildflowers abound. And here's a picture I didn't post before: looking south up the West Fork towards Anderson Pass.
Anderson Pass - next trip
Anderson Pass - next trip
If you compare this to the other picture looking up the Dungeness you can see there's lots more snow on the north slopes. Of course it's wetter down there.

"back at camp the mountain peak still in my legs" - Yu Chang
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 10:59 pm 
Wow! Really nice. Thanks PT. up.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 6:10 pm 
you did a duathlon-bike and hike up.gif up.gif super TR and photos......i'm keeping it in the 'to do list'. i'm debating though on your stats. yikes eek.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 6:18 pm 
okay then.....

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss