Forum Index > Trip Reports > Frosty & Mary's Pass, Upper Florence via the Wildhorse
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 1:36 pm 
How bad do you want it?...Icicle approach is loooong...Chatter Creek is steeeep and probably snowy on the backside of Cape Horn, anyway, so I opted for the Whitepine/Wildhorse access off Hwy. 2. The trail starts out as a pleasant forest walk below the cliffs of Arrowhead.
Arrowhead, Rock (behind), Howard & Mastiff
Arrowhead, Rock (behind), Howard & Mastiff
After the Wildhorse turnoff at 3 miles, a few more patches of brush (mind the devil's club) and the trail strikes a perfect balance of distance and elevation gain. Don't bother to carry water on this trail as you are never more than 15 minutes from a creek crossing, some of them rushing ankle deep, requiring trekking poles. Soon Frosty Pass appears but for some odd reason does not get any closer. frown.gif What's with that? confused.gif The brush patches worsen, the overnight pack gets heavier and progress slows, but the scenery helps. up.gif up.gif
Big Basin sweeps up to Big Chiwaukum
Big Basin sweeps up to Big Chiwaukum
Finally, the avalanche strewn head of the Wildhorse is reached before one last push up to Frosty Pass.
Wildhorse Valley, 9 miles up from the trailhead
Wildhorse Valley, 9 miles up from the trailhead
Big Chiwaukum with Grace Lake Waterfall
Big Chiwaukum with Grace Lake Waterfall
Snowgrass from Frosty Pass area
Snowgrass from Frosty Pass area
Frosty Pass Meadows
Frosty Pass Meadows
Frosty Pass Meadows
Frosty Pass Meadows
I premiered my Sierra Designs Velox 1 Tent in a secluded spot near Lake Mary but I had not seen a soul all day long anyway.
Lake Mary
Lake Mary
The "100 Hikes..." book is rather preachy in its description of the overuse of this area. That certainly is proven by the web of paths and restoration efforts. However, this was my third trip to the area in the last 10 years and I've only seen a handful of folks on the previous visits. This trip was to be 2 days of total solitude. The next morning, I had to choose between a ramble up Snowgrass or a visit to the other side of Mary's Pass...Either way I win. biggrin.gif I chose Mary and Florence and found pesky hard snow.
Trail to Mary's Pass
Trail to Mary's Pass
I retreated a bit lower, crossed the snowfield and regained the off-and-on trail on the right side.
Mary's Pass Views
Mary's Pass Views
The vistas got better and better.
A couple of volcanoes
A couple of volcanoes
Mary's Pass Views
Mary's Pass Views
Mary's Pass Views
Mary's Pass Views
Mary's Pass Views
Mary's Pass Views
Mary's Pass Views
Mary's Pass Views
Olympic Mts. faintly visible on far horizon
Olympic Mts. faintly visible on far horizon
I dropped into the basin that held Florence avoiding another steep snowfield.
Upper Florence Basin
Upper Florence Basin
Upper Florence Basin
Upper Florence Basin
Upper Florence Basin
Upper Florence Basin
Upper Florence Lake
Upper Florence Lake
Upper Florence Lake
Upper Florence Lake
Stuart and Ingalls
Stuart and Ingalls
Harding, 6600 Ridge, and the Cradle
Harding, 6600 Ridge, and the Cradle
The Cradle and some other peak
The Cradle and some other peak
Alas, I had to head back to Lake Mary, get my gear and head down the Wildhorse. It was hotter and brushier than the day before, but this hike's payoff was delightful.
Why We Hike
Why We Hike

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 2:08 pm 
What a nice report. I really like that area (Upper Florence basin to Lake Edna is one of my favorite hiking spots in Washington).
Get Out and Go wrote:
Why We Hike
Why We Hike
I couldn't agree more.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 3:40 pm 
Thanks for the report. I wondered how the approach was from that side.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 3:48 pm 
Awesome GOG, sorry I couldn't make it, but going on a backpack when family is visiting from Ohio would of been taboo, I guess they could have come along naughty.gif . Great scenery, how were the bugs ?, I wouldn't mind doing a Big C - Snowgrass through trip, nice shots of the back side of each. up.gif up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 5:35 pm 
Galiwalker, you would certainly give your camera a workout up there right now. up.gif Matt, I saw your photo with your route up Snowgrass. Getting up to that bench from the main trail looked wet and green and slippery closer to the Mary's Pass side. Coming in from Frosty Pass, I would just follow the ridgeline up there, skirting around into the basin. I see you did Frosty Peak, too. up.gif Rob, Coming out of there yesterday, my thoughts were, "I'm not so sure I'll do this one again." shakehead.gif Lot of self-abuse with the heat and brush. A day later, I'm thinking, "Oh Yeah, I'll be back for more!" doh.gif There are a lot of high points in the area to lounge around on. Bugs were tolerable, not as bad as my first time up there.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 5:44 pm 
Hey GOAG, how were the Be-you-gs?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 5:56 pm 
A bit of a fresh breeze kept them tolerable...but I was prepared with head net and Deet, and ready to take refuge. I was pleasantly surprised.