Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Defiance (aka Delirium Peak); July 13, 2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 10:52 pm 
Scott, Jasper and I recovered enough from the antics of the previous night to go on a nearby hike. Scott and I had been up Bandera before, but not Defiance. Scott's friends Mark and Warren met us at the Eastgate Park and Ride, and we were off. A brief summary: It was hot. The trailhead was packed and we saw lot's of people on the trail, mostly headed to Bandera or stopping at Mason Lake. It was hot. There were small snow patches along the trail just before Mason Lake (~4,200) and the trail was partially obscured by snow above Mason Lake until it gained the ridgeline (~4,400 to ~4,800). It was hot. Lots of flowers on the slopes below Mt. Defiance, including, but not limited to Beargrass, Phlox, Lupine, Paintbrush and Tiger Lily. There were others too, but I am not a flower identifying expert. I may not have mentioned this earlier, but it was hot. More than once on the hike, Warren turned to me and asked, "What's this called again, Delirium Peak?" Warren is from Whistler, and is not very familiar with the I-90 corridor hikes and peak names. Or, he could have really been in a state of delirium. After all, it was hot. We had the summit to ourselves for the entire 45 minutes we were there up.gif We were able to see the big volcanoes (Baker, Glacier, Rainier and Adams, but not St. Helens); the ever present Stuart; the nearby peaks like Putrid Pete's, McLellan's Butte, Kent, Gardner, Bandera, Granite, Kaleetan, etc.; Red Mountain from the previous TNAB; Big Snow and even the Olympics. The nearby lakes looked inviting. Especially since it was hot. Not an epic trip (except for the heat), but it was good to get out with good people and a (sometimes) good dog. It was also Jasper's 87th different summit, not that I am keeping track or anything rolleyes.gif Some photos:
Gardner, Kent and the Butt(e)
Gardner, Kent and the Butt(e)
On the trail
On the trail
Putrid Pete's
Putrid Pete's
Tahoma wearing a cap
Tahoma wearing a cap
The boys
The boys
Beargrass and Defiance
Beargrass and Defiance
Warren and Jasper on the trail
Warren and Jasper on the trail
Beargrass
Beargrass
Bandera above Mason Lake
Bandera above Mason Lake
Warren and Jasper summit
Warren and Jasper summit
Kulla Kulla, Mason and Little Mason
Kulla Kulla, Mason and Little Mason
Summit shade
Summit shade
A Defiant and Delirious Soapy
A Defiant and Delirious Soapy
Tiger Lily
Tiger Lily
Kaleetan
Kaleetan
Oh, yeah. It was hot.

Knows literally nothing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 10:56 pm 
I love Defiance. Five volcanos and eight lakes, what a view!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message